How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2023, 09:42 PM

Default Need help please

Hi all.

Pro Tools crashes on start up, every single time when I try open it in Rosetta. When I try open not using Rosetta it opens fine.

I wanted to try Rosetta because some plug in's are missing as they are AAX I suppose?

Specifically I want to start writing using my new computer and want to use EZ Drummer 2 but it does not show up in my inserts like EZ Keys 2 does.

I thought to try opening PT in Rosetta to see if EZD2 showed up.

I'd also love to use Drumcore 4 but it is definitely not silicon and that app is discontinued. But if I could create drum tracks in Rosetta then access that audio track when open in non-Rosetta, that would be fantastic.

As to as many of my plug in's and VI's as I possibly could, I have spent several days redownloading and reinstalling all the ones that are supported on M2 Silicon.

I understand PT is not yet qualified on Sonoma but a recent thread I saw had many users reporting success with it.

I am fully prepared to go to the previous OS if necessary...... I just have no clue how to do that.

Thank you.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)

Last edited by L-Dogg; 12-03-2023 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Need help please

And many other users *have* found problems with Sonoma. If you want to play there you need to be willing to troubleshoot or back out of an upgrade. Hope that stuff will just work is not a plan.

You should be troubleshooting stuff. If nothing else run the standard troubleshooting steps under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

What have you tried to do? Trash prefs? Tried running under Rosetta from a new admin user account? It crashes exactly when? During plugin load? Which plugin is loading? What was the previous plugin that loaded... one of those two are likely incompatible/buggy. Remove them from the plugin folder. And try again. Plugins are (as always) going to be a leading suspect here.

---

The simplest option for you may be to upgrade to EZ Drummer 3 which has Apple Silicon native support. <$100. Maybe you can try a EZ Drummer 3 demo. At least an option if that is the only problem you are having on Sonoma.

There is nothing Pro Tools specific about reinstalling Ventura on a Mac, assuming your Mac is compatible with that, you can find instructions all over the web.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And many other users *have* found problems with Sonoma.
---

The simplest option for you may be to upgrade to EZ Drummer 3 which has Apple Silicon native support.
Thanks for the reply Darryl.

Firstly thanks for letting me know EZD3 has native support. I was poised to buy it but wasn't sure about whether it had native support and have a request about it all at Toontrack. Waiting to hear. But this might be the ultimate fix right now......to get EZD3 and not have to deal with Rosetta at all.

Yes I trashed prefs using the Pete Gates preference trasher.

I'm not actually sure which plug is trying to open when it crashes......they are flying by so fast in the list and then bam it goes down.

Yes I too believe it is probably buggy plug in related. Like I said I have spent days downloading the latest supported versions and VI's too.

Just for the future......when you say remove suspect plugs from the plug in folder........how do I do that? Is the path Library>Application Support>Avid>Audio>Plug-Ins?

Then do I just put that plug-in into the Plug-Ins (Unused) folder or just drag it to the trash?

If possible I'd prefer to not completely lose a plug to the trash...bye bye......in case it was not the problem.

As to the Help Us Help You.......I will go read in case I missed anything.

(UPDATE: I just checked the Help Us Help You post and I did have all the optimization boxes checked (from having used PT for years) except Disabling Spotlight and turning off Bluetooth.

Disabling Spotlight I didn't previously do because LOL...I'm afraid of messing with Terminal in case I don't do something exactly right. I did research it and saw a post saying that was for older PT systems and not necessary to do now?

Turning off Bluetooth I did not do because I need it for my Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad.

Are either/both of these going to cause issues?)

Thanks Darryl.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9

Last edited by L-Dogg; 12-03-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:05 PM

You just move any suspect plugin out of /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins. You can put them anywhere you want. And if that does not solve problems you can just move them back. The Plug-Ins (Unused) folder is a traditional place to put them when removed, but Pro Tools will also put plugins there at times that it has problems with... so keep track of what you are doing in case there are a bunch of other plugins already there.

After you trash prefs and that deletes the Plugins cache file (which you should normally always have PT Prefs do) the plugins will load more slowly into Pro Tools as it rebuilds the cache, so it's easier to see what is going on. I will frequently trash prefs (or at least that plugins cache file) while troubleshooting stuff, like every time I move plugins out of the plugin folder.

No spotlight and bluetooth are not going to be relevant here, that's more things to help with some CPU errors. Trashing prefs, checking plugins and trying from a new admin user account are the big things to try. If Pro Tools is crashing while the plugins are loading then it's almost certainly a plugin (the one loading or the one that loaded previously, and very very occasionally some other plugin) but you always want to start by trashing prefs.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You just move any suspect plugin out of ......but you always want to start by trashing prefs.
Ok thanks Darryl.

I did purchase EZD3 last night and it loads fine into PT which opens just fine. So a $100 but at least it sorted that.

EZ Keys 2 is opening fine so it must be native supported.

I now have more than enough to get started.

The only thing I am waiting on Toontrack is that I have EZK1 and EZK2 in he Toontrack folder. And of course now EZD2 and EZD3. I wanted to know from them if those unsupported one's should be uninstalled or deleted/Trashed.

Thanks again for your help.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 12-04-2023, 06:31 PM

Great that helped get you going.

Yep EZ Keys you have has native silicon support, the version numbers for Ez Keys and Ez Drummer with native Apple silicon support are not the same which has confused folks. Remember if in doubt you just look at the plugin with Pete Gate's PT Prefs 2 app and for each plugins it will tell you if it has Universal (Intel and Apple Silicon native) or only x64 (Intel native) support.

Toontracks make great stuff. I use both EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer, they are just so good.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Ok thanks Darryl.

I did purchase EZD3 last night and it loads fine into PT which opens just fine. So a $100 but at least it sorted that.

EZ Keys 2 is opening fine so it must be native supported.

I now have more than enough to get started.

The only thing I am waiting on Toontrack is that I have EZK1 and EZK2 in he Toontrack folder. And of course now EZD2 and EZD3. I wanted to know from them if those unsupported one's should be uninstalled or deleted/Trashed.

Thanks again for your help.
Both the original EZKeys (now known as EZKeys 1) and EZKeys 2 will run Silicon Native. I don't see any reason to have EZKeys 1 if you have EZKeys 2 (it's a better product IMO). EZDrummer 2 is not AAX Silicon Native (VST/AU version are in version 2.2.2)....
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)