Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM

Default Mic issues

Hello, i am new to the forum i need a little assistance.

i am currently using a MacBook laptop on 10.6.8 Lepeord version and on 9.0.5 protools. Speakers are working perfectly, but my mic isnt. Its a Shure mic and everything seems plugged in right. In My system preferences, i go to sounds, and input, i selected Avid Mbox Mini, but i get no levels. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Mic issues

In order to record your mic, you need to select it inside pro tools. If you make a new audio track, then you will be able to select an input for that channel. After selecting the right input, switch the track into record ready mode, now you'll see the input signal on the meters.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Doing a bit more research, i have a Shure SM58 mic and it seems other are having the same issue
Old 11-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Launch Pro Tools 9 and hold N, in the playback engine select the Avid Mbox Mini.

Now create a mono audio track, select the corresponding input and record arm, select again to taste.

The issue your likely reading about the SM57 is the requirement to wind the gain up for vocals, acoustic guitars etc. It's a low output mic typically used for snares, guitar cabs etc. If your experiencing this, it's normal.

If your this new to Pro Tools is may be worth checking out some books, tutorials and the air users blogs, this is pretty basic stuff but we all had to start somewhere.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
Doing a bit more research, i have a Shure SM58 mic and it seems other are having the same issue
Sorry but the mic type is not really relevant here. First, as mentioned above, you should make some first steps in order to use your setup.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM

ya i ended up needing a XLR to XLR cable instead of XLR to 1/4" because its a dynamic mic, everything else was correct but that.