Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Setting up for 5.1

Hello,

I am looking for some input on which plug-ins I will absolutly need to mix in 5.1 I am adding the necessary speakers but am not sure what plugs are needed. Is the waves 360 a must have? ALso, will I need a plug to create dolby and dts files? What is the most cost effective set up?

Thanks in advance,
Victor
Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Setting up for 5.1

Waves is definetely *not* a must-have. Nothing really is, apart from the encoding plugins. And if you or your project has FCP, even encoding can probably be done later on (Final Cut Studio can encode Dolby Digital from the raw 5.1 tracks).

If you're mixing music, I'd recommend Digidesign ReVibe, Impact and Smack plugins which all do surround. If you have those, you cannot blame the lack of plugins in case your surround mix is lacking. Apart from those, the rest is basic stereo mixing.

Don't believe anyone (me included) that says you absolutely must have some plugin to do this or that. It simply isn't true, especially if Waves is mentioned in the sentence. You can do a great surround mix with very simple tools, if you know how to mix It's all about the talent, not that much about the tools. There are no definite rules about surround mix, it is in fact easier concept than stereo mix.

But I do have to say that ReVibe surround reverb is fantastic. Although not a must-have, it's a great surround reverb. Highly recommended! You can get one dirt cheap on eBay, just ask Dutchmuzik if he can make you a sweet deal.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 AM

Thanks soooo much..

Encoding is a big worry. I am doing post production for a TV and am waiting to see the deliverables on this particular project. With that in mind I also want to be prepared for all projects that come through. If the editor is using FCP I can give back the raw tracks and they can encode??? What if I need to encode? An what if this project is dolby and the next DTS and the next pro logic? Is there a product that has all? As far as plugs I would be safe getting one good surround reverb? I am already comfortable with all of my eq and compression.

Thanks,
Victor
Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM

I don't have an accel card just HD so I can't use revibe.

Victor
Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Don't believe anyone (me included) that says you absolutely must have some plugin to do this or that.
The Digidesign Surround Mixer plug-in is a **must have**...................

You can also do a stereo instance of reverb in the Front and one in the Surrounds. How many sounds NEED to reverberate on 5 channels?

Remember, you can use multi-mono instances of plug-ins, so, everything that you have is available to you.

as to Dolby and DTS....i doubt if you are just getting into this that you will need DTS. Why are you getting into surround? music? film? tired of saving money?

Apple's compressor requires that you have their Studio Suite...which will run you about $1000 USD.... so you might as well look at SurCode and Neyrink for encoding AC3's.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 AM

Thanks Minister,

Digidesign surround mixer? Is that something that comes with PT? I have an HD system. I don't see anything called that on the site.

I think I am going to get Alti Verb just because I always wanted it and it may come in good use for the 5.1 mixes.

SO DTS is over kill right now? So which dolby plug should I get? Dolby surround tools?

I am getting into it because too many clients are asking and I hate turning away $$$. The first project is TV but we also work in film and music

Thanks for all of your input, please keep it comming...
Victor
Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Minister,

Digidesign surround mixer? Is that something that comes with PT? I have an HD system. I don't see anything called that on the site.
Yes make sure one of the Surround Mixer.dpm or Surround Dithered Mixer.dpm is in your plug-ins folder.

Quote:
So which dolby plug should I get? Dolby surround tools?
Dolby Surround Tools gives you the ability to make LCRS Prologic compatible 2 channel surround mixes. That's good for TV analog broadcasting.

If you want to do DolbyDigital encoding for DVD you can use the Neyrinck SoundCode for Dolby Digital plug-in.

If you want to do encoding for digital broadcasting you need to make Dolby E - search on more info for that.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks Jim, everyone is really helping me narrow down my decision.

I am not seeing either one of those in my plug ins folder...

Also, I have a pair of JBL LSR 4328 p and the LSR 12inch sub. would it be okay to add 3 jbl lsr 6" one for the center and the others for the surround or should I get another 8" for the center and use the 2 6" for the surround?

Thanks,
Victor

I am thinking on adding ALTI Verb but am still undecided on which encoder I should get.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks Jim, everyone is really helping me narrow down my decision.

Also, I have a pair of JBL LSR 4328 p and the LSR 12inch sub. would it be okay to add 3 jbl lsr 6" one for the center and the others for the surround or should I get another 8" for the center and use the 2 6" for the surround?

Thanks,
Victor

I am thinking on adding ALTI Verb but am still undecided on which encoder I should get.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Drag it in from the Plug-Ins (Disabled) folder.

(Disabled), (Unused), I dunno I'm at home right now.