Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Throughput problems and weird pan/volume prob

Has anyone had this problem? Occasionally, I need to take a track and delete it, and take the audio/routing/plig-ins, etc., into another identical type of track because suddenly, I loose throughput in the old track. No changing of output assignments, or anything that I've tried will cure the problem. Sometimes, I will even see metering on the offending channel (in PT only, but I still hear no audio) and sometimes, the signal just goes away. Either way, i am forced to move the old audio from the offending channel to another new track and then it all works again. this will not always fix things. It will always work at first, but then later when I re-open the session, it may happen again.

Maybe there is already a thread on this. I used to have this problem before, and then I went to a G5 dual processor 2 Ghz, with one GB or RAM on each side. I"m running and HD II Accell (PT 7.1 cs8) with 10.4.6 and this JUST started happening about two weeks after I made this change from my ancient G4 (same PT except it was 7.0 and same HD II cards) to this other G5 which was checked out completely, cleaned up, blah, blah, blah by a very reputable audio outfit here in San Francisco, CA. Only over the last few sessions has this happened. I have done really nothing that i can remember that would make it hinky. No plug-in additions software changes or upgrades yet.

Last, I have been sending a client MP3s to NY from here and he tells me that he is hearing a volume change and panning change at one small 3 second patch where I cut and pasted his guitar in to make it sound more in the pocket. I don't hear it at all over on this end. Any suggestions y'[all? I checked panning and volumes on all channels, busses and Aux tracks involved, and there is no copied automation of volume, and there are no offending missed pans or volume changes at this one three second part. This seems really weird, especially since I have never heard this on my system even after I've bounced and sent these tracks. Plus, it was not happening on the first few bounces I sent to him from the same song. Maybe something got corrupted? All I can think of doing now is to put back the old audio that was originally there, but I don't know, this just should not be happening, rhght??? :confused

I'm thinking of doing the simple preference trashing, database destuctions, etc. I just want to see if anyone else is having this type of problem.

If not, Digi, could you check this out? I know one other person who is having this problem and I am pretty sure my system is pretty clean. I just got it three weeks ago and had it all tested.

thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help me, Especially if you can help me with the second question.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Throughput problems and weird pan/volume prob

Hello Scott,

Issue 1,There's a similar thread that might be related here...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1002692

does a reboot fix it?

Issue 2, If you want to send me some files to check! the mp3 and or the session with just the one audio region etc, then please do and i'll take a listen and see if i can here/see anything.

[email protected]

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.