How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2023, 02:28 AM

Default Kontakt 6 not showing in Pro Tools

Hey Guys

I can't get Kontakt (6) running on my new M2 Max in Pro Tools.

Backstory:
I upgraded my studio mac from an IMac (intel) to a new Mac Studio M2 Max.
Installed latest versions of Pro Tools & all plugins because of apple silicon compatibility.

I went from Pro Tools 2023.4 (IMac) to 2023.9 (New Mac).
Kontakt (6) on the IMac --> Kontakt & Kontakt 7 on new Mac.

Problem:
On the new Mac, Pro Tools can't find/open Kontakt (Kontakt 6), used in older sessions.
I've installed Kontakt 7 AND Kontakt. As Standalone, I can open Kontakt, and even in Logic, Kontakt is available, but not in Pro Tools.
The Kontakt (6) plugin appears beneath Kontakt 7 in the plugin folder (HD/Library/Audiounits...) and i even did a plugin rescan multiple times, but still no luck.

I really depend on beeing able to get Kontakt 6 running in Pro Tools, because i still got a lot of older sessions with Kontakt 6 instrument tracks, wich Kontakt 7 can't replace.

What am i missing?

Thanks for your help
Old 10-24-2023, 02:42 AM

Default Kontakt 6 not showing in Pro Tools

Sadly because of the moving target from Native Instruments regarding their naming conventions, Kontakt 6 and 7 show up as totally different plugins, so aren’t interchangeable. Kontakt 6 isn’t Silicon AAX compatible, so to be able to run Kontakt 6, you’ll need to run Pro Tools in Rosetta mode. You could then save all of your patches from Kontakt 6, create instances of Kontakt 7, then load those patches, manually replacing all the instances of K6, allowing you to open Pro Tools in native (non-Rosetta) again.

You can thank Native Instruments for that peach of a gift. I’m just thankful that I’m not a composer, as I have friends with mammoth templates who are having to manually rebuild for the third time in recent years because of NI’s constant name changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2023, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 6 not showing in Pro Tools

As mentioned earlier, Kontakt 6 is not Silicon-compatible for Pro Tools. AU & VST are kind of, but the delay in getting PT silicon Native (compared to other DAWs) meant we ended up with only a K7 version for silicon.

NI has implemented plugin migration and has asked the DAW makers to implemented it, but Avid hasn't gotten there yet. It just became available in Logic recently, and I think Cubase a little before that. The idea is that if you open a session that has an older version of the plugin (K6 in this case), but only have the newer version available on your system (K7 in this case), it will open the new version of the plugin in that spot, with the compatible settings and data.

So Avid... that'd be cool...

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-24-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
The idea is that if you open a session that has an older version of the plugin (K6 in this case), but only have the newer version available on your system (K7 in this case), it will open the new version of the plugin in that spot, with the compatible settings and data.

This is long, long, LONG overdue. I've been struggling with Kontakt upgrades for this very reason since K3. Instruments were a bit simpler then and manual migration was easier, but going from 6 to 7 (for the sake of running Silicon) can get hairy.

I haven't tried it in Logic but will give it a run. As you said, Avid (or NI, or both -- whomever) needs to jump on this, too.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
As mentioned earlier, Kontakt 6 is not Silicon-compatible for Pro Tools. AU & VST are kind of, but the delay in getting PT silicon Native (compared to other DAWs) meant we ended up with only a K7 version for silicon.

NI has implemented plugin migration and has asked the DAW makers to implemented it, but Avid hasn't gotten there yet. It just became available in Logic recently, and I think Cubase a little before that. The idea is that if you open a session that has an older version of the plugin (K6 in this case), but only have the newer version available on your system (K7 in this case), it will open the new version of the plugin in that spot, with the compatible settings and data.

Thanks for clearing that up, Kerry! Just when I need my Kontakt templates for a deadline. Darn!
How have you been, BTW?
MZL!
Old 01-12-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nard View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Kerry! Just when I need my Kontakt templates for a deadline. Darn!
How have you been, BTW?
MZL!
Nard!

I usually restart in Rosetta mode if I need to access Kontakt 6 for an (old project). I migrated my templates to K7 mid last year. Total pain in the keister. Supposedly NI has a migration thing they've built in (so this won't happen again) but Avid has to implement it in AAX. I've heard that to some degree Cubase and Logic are working with it, but it's still fairly new.

and things are alright up here in Oregon. Could be better. Could be worse. Y'know? You?

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro