Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-05-2002, 10:04 AM

Default Multiple songs in a session or one for one?

1. Do most of you record multiple songs (as in an album project, etc) into one session, or do you open new sessions and save each song to it's own filename? Or is this just preference or needs based? Reason I ask is I usually save one song to one session name (for saftey and for DSP on the mixdown, etc). This gives me greater flexibility but is also of course more time consuming.

2. I'm mixing a project where about 15 tunes were recorded onto one session. I want them broken out for mix time. Is it safe to cut out what I don't want and save each to it's own session? (i.e. say I have 4 songs, A,B,C, and D. If I want to save A, cut B,C,D and save as new filename. Reopen original session, and do the same for B, repeat to D etc). I have done something like this before and ended up losing big segments of my audio where I cut. Just don't want to do that again.

As always thanks for any tips all.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Multiple songs in a session or one for one?

Hey Jeff,

Let me answer #2 first because it's important. Like you already found out, when you're splitting up a big project you have to be super-careful or else you will end up deleting audio that you need. I've seen this mistake made numerous times. It's enough to make grown men cry.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>So, here is the safest way I can think of to do it:

<LI>Step 1. Save your long session.

<LI>Step 2. In the edit window of the long session, clear off all of the audio from the tracks except for the audio of the first song.

<LI>Step 3. Now save this session as "Song 1" or whatever. (so you don't overwrite the original by mistake.)

<LI>Step 4. On the audio menu bar of the edit window, choose "select unused regions"

<LI>step 5. Now choose "Clear selected regions..." and in the pop-up, choose REMOVE and NOT delete.

this will remove any references to audio files from the other songs from this session. It won't actually touch those files, and with them out of this session, you'll never delete them by mistake.

<LI>step 6. Save this new session again. Now close it and re-open the original long timeline.

<LI>step 7. Repeat steps 1-6 for each song in your long timeline. Once you've got through them all, you will never risk affecting the audio files of any individual project except for the one you have open.
[/list]As far as whether or not it's a good idea to work this way (in one long timeline)- personally I don't like it. I've never done it myself on a project I had control over. I believe that with clever use of importing tracks and plug-in settings you can work just as quickly with individual projects (you pay for that one long timeline with sluggish transport response, navigational headaches, mixing conundrums, etc.) But some guys love it (I guess it's a holdover from the analog days) and I'm sure that they could argue for it persuasively.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:38 AM

I'm starting to use one session for multiple songs when instrumentation is close between the songs....

That way I can have one template for tracking, headphone mixes, efx sends, etc. and easily go between multiple takes, by using location markers. I also get rough mixes started, so everything has a common starting point.

When I went to get into final mixing, I'll split the big session into individual songs. I'll change the start time to have the audio move over to the start of the session (I don't need SMPTE real time), but rather mins/secs from the start of the song. This keeps the audio's original time stamp.

I find this method helps during the initial stages, by not having to open and close sessions to go from one song to another, and it helps to get the basic eq and comps and efx set-ups that fit overall to all the songs as a common starting point...
Old 02-05-2002, 11:49 AM

Question #2 has been answered quite well. Now I'll give my opinion of Quesion #1.

If I am working on songs that are distinctly separate entities I'll put each song in its own separate session folder. If it's an album project I first create a folder for the album and I put the individual sessions for each song into that folder.

If I am working on songs that are not so easily separated I'll use one session for all the songs. The easiest example of this type of situation is a live gig recording. Since the band may run one song into another without stopping it's difficult to effectively separate into individual sessions. Even if the songs are not run one into the next, the crowd noise will still need to be uninterrupted between songs and I still find it easier if they're all in the same session. Even for non-live stuff I'll sometimes use one session for more than one song. If two songs crossfade or transition with no space between them it might also be easier to work with them in the same session.

Of course, if you're backing up your sessions to CD-R it can be somewhat troublesome to fit these multi-song sessions on CD-R, but that's another topic altogether...

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Behringer X32 Producer
- PT 2019.10 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 02-05-2002, 12:16 PM

As an extra safety net for question 2 you might like to export your region definitions to the parent audio files. This should stop PT asking "where is...."

Nick
MacPro 3.5GHz 6 core 64GB RAM OSX 10.14.6, PT 2019.10 HDn, Avid Artist Control, Avid Artist Mix, PT Dock...
Old 02-05-2002, 12:59 PM

I record each song as its own session. If I'm transferring off 2" or some other format sometimes to speed things up I'll lump them all into one session for transfer purposes. Then those songs are split up into their own sessions.

Sometimes I will do a "save session copy in" with each of the separated songs and I'll copy all the files. Then I open the copied sessions, check to make sure that the files in the full path reflect the copies and not the originals--if you're going to try this, back up everything before you do it because I might leave out a step--and then I compress the files to shrink them down.

I always try and do a backup after a large tracking session before I start moving files around just in case. Speaking of backups, someone broke into our studio last night. Thankfully they just took some office stuff, but I was relieved nonetheless that I had taken my drive home last night with my current album project.

Dave