Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-01-2015, 02:38 AM

Default Positive Grid Bias FX Desktop/iOS

Anyone tried this yet? How do you guys rate it compared to 11R or LPX or whatever you might use for guitar rigs (GuitarRig?)?

I am wildly impressed by the 11R models but not by its lack of flexibility (can't use 2 distortion pedals, Etc etc) and lack of choice for fx (yes I have the expansion).

Also, I saw an app the other day called MusicIO for iOS that does audio/midi over USB (using the lightning or 30pin cable) so you could use an iPad or iPhone as an FX send/return. Wonder how this might change the future of outboard fx (and pay $10 for BiasFX instead of 200 or whatever the desktop ends up being long term...)

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Positive Grid Bias FX Desktop/iOS

I was a bit excited to begin with , as I mistakenly thought my (expensive) Bias Desktop Pro was getting FX added to it , as it didnt come with any at all,

...., but that excitement instantly turned to disappointment upon realizing Bias FX desktop was another completely separate (and expensive) program to Bias Desktop Pro , which Bias FX also included many Amp sims of which I already own in Bias Desktop Pro

Personally , I cant even see the point in even checking out Bias FX desktop - let alone spend any money on it .

If I'm using my Bias Desktop Pro (ie; the amps) within Pro Tools,
- I can use FX plugins that I already own , and I can even use Amplitube 3's plugins if I need to "without" forking out more money for Bias FX

Otherwise ......,

I can open a standalone VST version of Bluecat Patchwork , with Bias Desktop pro opened in one of Bluecat Patchwork slots (for say - Live use / jamming etc)

I can still add any of my existing FX which already own into another Patchwork slot , and even turn them on and off via midi control if needed (via patchwork)

..., or again I could use my amplitube FX inside of patchwork - where I have IKM footswitches and a midi wah pedal.

The Amp sims in Bias Desktop Pro are really good though (mainly for heavy rock etc) and IMHO run rings around any amps in Amplitube . I also like Scuffhams x-gear. I never use Amplitubes amps anymore , just their FX sometimes.

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 08-01-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:19 PM

Well, you can't DESIGN amps in FX, so Bias gives you that... Before that there was JamUpPro on iOS that had a bit of both. I don't know if those amps used the same algorithms (and/or impulses?) as BIAS but it's good.

My real question is how it compares to the 11R.

And what about clean/crunch? Does that not shine? Do I need a twin for the studio?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 AM

Hi everyone.

I woke up this morning and I was about to pick up the guitar but the Bias Amp App is not running anymore. The Plug-in works perfectly well but not the Application. It just run until the "Positive Grid" words disappear. Then it stays like a black window with the background decoration of the app. I have tried to uninstall and install it again and to download it again and do so. I have the latest version of the computer and the application.

The problem I have using the Plug-in is that there is no preset saving/uploading button or option.

Thank you in advance.
Cheers.