Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM

Default Re: PT9 Import Session Data crash

Same problem here.

About the reboot thing. If I turn off all my audio interfaces (1 Lynx Aurora 16 and 1 192) and turn them on again I can Relauch Protools! No need for reboot. And no Karnal panic.

Intel Mac Pro 12 core 3.33 GHz, 20GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, PT HDX, PT 12.8, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard
Mac Book Pro 2.4Ghz Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, PT Vanilla 12.8
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Avid

The problem is with IO Setups - the previous session probably was referencing an IO Setups with a different, incompatible, set of paths/outputs.

The workaround is to disable import of any routing assignments - you'll have to go back to reassign the outputs for the imported tracks.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The workaround is to disable import of any routing assignments - you'll have to go back to reassign the outputs for the imported tracks.
So are you saying that if I disable the Main Output Assignments, Send Output Assignments & Input Assignments under the "Track Data to Import" selector in the Import Session Data window, the crash will not occur?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The problem is with IO Setups - the previous session probably was referencing an IO Setups with a different, incompatible, set of paths/outputs.

Yes, looks like the problem is on the i/o setup BUT, disabling routing assignments does NOT resolve the problem. I'm trying to import just plugins and plugins settings and PT just quits.

This is the ONLY bug I found on PT9, but it's a BIG one and it's slowing down my work a lot!

Intel Mac Pro 12 core 3.33 GHz, 20GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, PT HDX, PT 12.8, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM

And I can confirm that the only workaround that really works is the onw by studiojimi (thanks!). An its a PITA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post

save (and might be a good time to change the name of the session first), close your session, then open up the desired session to imported from...rename it "title_IMP" or something like that and then quickly eliminate the I/O in one fell swoop from.... say all the tracks quickly by using option click remove on any one track. Close that session and reopen your session and import away with no I/O confusion to your "early release" software. At least you'll accomplish your task until AVID figures it out on their dime.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Got this problem now just by importing midi playlists from one channel. Nothing else. PT still wanted to do something with the I/O setup...

Booooom PT is dead.

Tried the old StudioJimi trick and it worked.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly915 View Post
Oh, also;
If I try to run PT9 immediately after the crash (without a reboot), I get a kernel panic on my MacPro.

yay :\
I don't know what "kernel panic" is, but if I attempt to play a song originally made in PT8, it will play for maybe a second, then freeze. After force quitting my computer will freeze if I attempt to restart. Is this related?

Its made PT9 be a huge waste of time and money for me - 3 days of work lost to trying to get it to run!

Could the problems when opening a song made in PT8 be related to the problems when importing parts of sessions? I've even removed all plug ins that aren't in PT9 and getting the i/o settings right before pressing play, but the results were the same.

iMac quad core i5 with 4Gb ram OS10.6.4
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka View Post
I don't know what "kernel panic" is, but if I attempt to play a song originally made in PT8, it will play for maybe a second, then freeze. After force quitting my computer will freeze if I attempt to restart. Is this related?

Its made PT9 be a huge waste of time and money for me - 3 days of work lost to trying to get it to run!

Could the problems when opening a song made in PT8 be related to the problems when importing parts of sessions? I've even removed all plug ins that aren't in PT9 and getting the i/o settings right before pressing play, but the results were the same.

iMac quad core i5 with 4Gb ram OS10.6.4
This isn't related to importing session data from another session. You might want to start a new topic on this problem to give tech support a chance to log it.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM

After reading posts in the "Pro Tools 9" forum relating to this issue, I'm left with a bit of confusion; does this crash only occur when ISD from a session saved with a PT version previous to 9, or does it also happen when ISD from a PT9 saved session. I would check myself, but I've been forced back to 8.0.4cs2

If the bug is not present when ISD from PT9 sessions, I could update all systems at our location to PT9 otherwise it seems to be a deal-killer for mixed version facilities.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 AM

no problem here with ISD, I disabled input routing because when I opened a session
from other rigs, I lost my buses.
use input session data quite often, had no issues :)
www.linkedin.com/in/marrakechprod
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm3047395
------------------
Mac Pro 2.8, 8 Core,16 GIG Ram, PT HD 10 - 12. Mac Book Pro 2.6 Retina 16 GIG Ram, Artist Control/MIX.