Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Question MOTU 8PRE via Optical

I have currently upgraded to PT LE 8.0, on a DIGI 002 Rack, and have added a MOTU 8PRE via Optical. I have been looking to set the clock as optical, but, am getting shut out (prompted that it is not available). Do I need to add the unit via firewire, instead? Also, under I/O...., the ADAT channels are checked,by default (not mine), does this mean the MOTU is active already?
I'd appreciate the correct steps needed to make this functional. Is there someone that can help me?
Thanks, Al
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Re: MOTU 8PRE via Optical

I purchased a motu 8 pre just a few weeks back and am actually returning it tomorrow because i've found the pre's so weak when recording drums, very dissapointing.

1) Make sure you have both ADAT cables connected and do not connect the FW cable.
2) In standalone mode the 8pre will default to clock master with only the converter and sample rate LED's illuminated.
3) To make the 8pre slave you need to change the config so the converter, sample rate and 1x LED's are illuminated.

I have to be honest i found it much easier using Pro Tools as the clock, this way every time you change a sessions rate the 8pre will follow automatically, also because i don't always use the ADAT pre's i didn't want to keep reconfiging?

What do you make of the pre's, i found them fine with condensers and guitars/voice etc, as soon as i put through a dynamic mic it was like having a 200KHz high pass filter, no bottom or punch whatsoever, just harsh treble.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. I've not had a chance to try your suggestions, but, I am glad you responded. I'm still having a problem, so, I've just been working without the pre. I am hooked thru optical, but, cannot recognize the unit. Should I try USB (you mentioned "NO Firewire") to activate the stand-alone? I know this should be basic switch hookup in the I/O. Send your e-mail, so, as the solutions come to me, I can pass along any tricks I find. I appreciate your response.

Al
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM

I'm using an 8pre into a Digi003 console, this is how I hook it up:

Connect an optical cable from the TOP output in the back of the 8pre, as it transfers the 44.1 and 48 data. Digi hardware will not accept optical sample rates above 48, says the manual. I've read about using S/MUX, but I know nothing about it. Anyway, here is how I hook it up:

1.) Connect the opitcal output of 8pre into optical input of 003 (002 in your case)
2.) Make sure the unit is turned on, then press the volume button in for a few (2-3) seconds until the LED starts flashing. When it's flashing, change the sample rate to whatever you choose to record in (44.1 or 48)
3.) Press the button in once to get out of this mode
4.) Turn the volume knob on the 8pre. I know this sounds odd, but on occasion I've lost signal and a simple turn of the volume knob gets my signal running.
5.) Open Pro Tools, create a session with the same sample rate parameters as your 8pre is set.
6.) Go into "Hardware" then change your clock settings to "Optical" and then set your optical format to "ADAT" instead of "SDPIF."
7.) Create a track, using an ADAT 1-8 as your input, record enable and go :)

Hope this helps!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 PM

Thank you for your help! It turns out that I had a defective unit. I had been setting it up correctly, as you reaffirmed, so I feel vindicated (?), to say the least.
I'd like to add, for other users, regarding the pre stage for mics in this unit..., the quality of the mic has the most to do with it. if you don't have enough gain, try using another pre stage in line, like BLUE TUBE, etc. and cut the 48V switch. The phantom works fine with my mics...., CAD, AKG, MXL, etc.
Thanks, again!

Al Pethtel