Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Can\'t \"Activate\" Upgrade from 7.3 Academic to 7.4

Thank you, Digidesign, for you generous offer to upgrade my recently-purchased but soon-to-be-obsolete copy of Pro Tools 7.3 Academic to the newer M-Powered v7.4.

Now, if I could only figure out this arcane "activation" routine -- and/or get your website to work, and/or get a response from your tech support department.

It is not at all clear from the "Crossgrade" e-mail I received on 12/11 what exactly I'm supposed to do to obtain a copy of the v7.4 you are offering me. I see that there is an "ACTIVATION CODE" in the e-mail. I guess that's a start.

I went to iLok.com and opened an account there for my iLock device.

Then I went to the webpage linked in the e-mail

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=28542

...and entered the Activation Code in the e-mail. That takes me to this page:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...50720&mkt=ALL&

...where I enter my iLok USER ID -- not sure if I'm supposed to enter the user ID I used to register with iLok.com com or some other ID number associated with my iLok device.

Not that it matters. Because this page is f'd up: it requires that I enter my state, but there are no states listed in the drop own box for "state," nor is there any way to manually enter my state. So I have been stuck on this page for more than a week now.

I tried to contact the digidesign.com website to advise them of this bug in their activation procedure, but have not gotten a reply, and the page remains unusable due to that "state' detail.

So, please, before this offer runs out in March, could somebody tell me howthehell I'm supposed to take advantage of this offer when I can't get the web pages I am directed to function properly?

And, maybe, tell me, at what point do I actually obtain/download the v7.4 program itself. It's weird trying to activate a program I don't even have yet... what exactly is that I'm supposed to be activating with my code, anyway?

I hope somebody can straighten this out, it's been nothing but a colossal waste of time so far.

Thanks,

--PS
Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Can\'t \"Activate\" Upgrade from 7.3 Academic to 7.4

Did you ever get this solved? What browser are you using? I've had issues with both Safari and Firefox on several sites, so keep a copy of Explorer on one of our PTHD systems for this very reason.

Try a different browser to see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise, hope you got it working!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Can\'t \"Activate\" Upgrade from 7.3 Academic to 7.4

Hah. Not only have I not gotten it resolved, it's gotten worse.

Yesterday I tried to go through the drill again, starting out with the page linked in the e-mail notice, where I entered the activation number supplied in the e-mail. Only this time, instead of getting the defective page with no drop box for "state," I got a notice saying "that account is already activated" -- with, of course NO instruction as to what I'm supposed to do next.

So my account got activated? GREAT. Now WTF am I supposed to do?

So I've basically gone from one dead-end to a different dead end, with no solution in sight. I have contacted Digidesign through their website and gotten no reply. This is the first response I've gotten from anybody about this dilemma, which has now had me flummoxed for over a month.

The "already activated" page said "contact customer service." So I guess tomorrow I will spend my morning on "hold" with Digidesign...

Thanks,

--PS