Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-29-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Protools, Too many Bells and Whistels

Quote:
I've always wished that PT would allow you to install the feature set that you need. It might cut down on Ram overhead, and streamline the program for those that don't need certain features. Why have all those midi functions if you're not using midi.

I also thought it funny that DogBBQ would like to have a "piece of mind" as opposed to Peace Of Mind.
You know, you can never have too many pieces.
Wow what a great idea I'd like to leave a lot out and just use a Basic Set-up

Funny sometimes after long sessions it feels like I need to pick up all the pieces of my brain!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Furthermore, I think it would be a safe bet that having PT load specific feature sets for specific users would most likely be a testing and stability nightmare. Every time the Mac OS would be updated, it might take years before PT would be ready to make the move.

Seriously, I think PT could be most improved if it were specifically coded natively for the Mac (and a separate version for PC), rather than one set of code ported to Mac and PC. Stability, performance and latency on the Mac would also be greatly enhanced if PT took advantage of OSX's kernel level Core Audio and Core MIDI. Apple put an enormous amount of effort into developing OSX to optimize audio and MIDI performance, and PT simply does not use it. It's an unfortunate situation. That's why challenging plug-ins (like NI's, and VSL's [which is not even released for PT]) work like a hot knife going through butter on DAW applications that support AU plug-ins, but leave PT gasping for breath on the side of the road.

PT has a great UI that's ideal for the way a lot of people work. It could definitely use a lot of work under the hood, though. It will be very interesting to see what the future holds (for PT, as well as all the other major DAW applications out there). It will be interesting to see if there will be a high-end native PT solution in the future, or if the next generation of high-end PT systems will still require rather costly hardware. Things will be interesting.

I also wonder if there will ever come a time when there will be a barrier to importing older PT sessions into the newest version of PT. Keeping backward compatibility has got to be a major strain that holds back development. At some point, one would think it would make sense to start with a fresh, blank sheet of paper and design a new system. As it is, backward compatibility of old sessions is usually quite compromised (since there are a lot of plug-ins that have fallen by the wayside, or simply not present in the system you're currently using). If you need access to things at a later date, better just keep a vintage system operating, or make sure to always bounce out a lot of stems.
Virtual Instruments gain so much from Core Audio and Midi why isn't this embraced by Digidesign???

I'd be happy to loose Backwards compatibility for Stability!!!!

A ground up Build would be the best and think that Digi needs to take it's Native version over the top!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
i'd like to wish you much luck in your career in music.
Well that makes as much sense as my "Piece Of Mind" statement!!!!!!

I guess the walls will come tumbling down around me because I don't like the way Protools performs????
Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
ProTools didn't even become viable for me til 6.4 (delay comp). Prior to that I was using it as editor but that was it.
I made plenty Mixing from version 4.3 on too bad you had to wait!!!!
wow, so you either did all the manual delay comp or you like phasey, comb filtered sound? Either way, not viable in my world.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM

While everyone makes valid points about all the functional improvements that Digidesign has made to Pro tools over the years...

version 5.1 was killer. It was so stable. It just worked so well. Pro Tools 7 can't touch it.

I've been using PT since version 3, and 5.1 in my mind was the golden age. Today, it tries to do way too many things, and does all of them not quite as well. Sure, there are essential features that have been added, but at a far greater cost to stability and overall workflow. I have never been so frustrated in the studio since I upgraded my Pro Tools machine to OS X.

I am a power user, and I don't cut any corners with my setup. But Pro Tools has accumulated so many studio hours of downtime, it's hard to imagine the days when it worked great.

By the way, I would just like to remind Digidesign one more time, that their pathetic release of their home-brewed crash-prone 6 slot expansion chassis nearly 2 years ago cost them a 32 ch Icon sale.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:

version 5.1 was killer. It was so stable. It just worked so well. Pro Tools 7 can't touch it.

Amen.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
wow, so you either did all the manual delay comp or you like phasey, comb filtered sound? Either way, not viable in my world.
Yes in deed, and still do all compensation myself I've grown not to trust Protools with anything

If I do it I know it's right!!!

I don't even trust Digi's Click so I print the click quantize the regions to the grid and reference all to that!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I don't even trust Digi's Click so I print the click quantize the regions to the grid and reference all to that!!!!
but can you really trust the grid? it's made by Digi ya know.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM

erm... i missed the part where someone held a gun to our heads and ordered us to us Pro Tools. There are many other DAWs out there and if they suit your needs better, by all means, switch over. PT is not ideal for everything and I go to other programs often to use their strong points. Then those programs also have niggles that bug me. Getting the right hammer at the store is way more effective than writing up the hammer company asking for a 5 degree shift in the vertical head alignment because your wrist is twisted from a bike accident you had at the age of 7. And please mass-produce it to impose it on all the happy customers. That's just silly.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:03 PM

Just wish they would get the MIDI to work correctly.

Hail v5.1 OS9!!!
10.12.6, PT12.8.