Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2111  
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 AM
mykhal c's Avatar
mykhal c mykhal c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 4,355
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

to all the i7 builders...the 03/09 issue of CPU mag has a GREAT atricle on OC'g the i7/X58 builds. i know it's not on the shelves yet but it's a must read for all those that like to get the most outta their rigs!!
__________________
bassist...deep pocketz anyone???!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Reply With Quote
  #2112  
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Kris75's Avatar
Kris75 Kris75 is offline
Space Cabin Audio
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,554
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Has anyone used the core 2 quad 8000 series processors? If so, how do they stack up against the 9000 series?
__________________
Sign up for all things....AWESOME!




Kris
May the music move you
Reply With Quote
  #2113  
Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
theartofshredding theartofshredding is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nashville
Posts: 18
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

So I posted this like a month ago as its own thread but now I actually have the money to complete my build. So... I want to bounce this setup off of everyone before I buy the last pieces.


- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 gHz
- ASUS P5K Pro
- Athena Power RM-4U4088B48 server chasis (I wanted something I could mount in a case with the ProFire for mobility)


I will then be transferring the following from my current computer...
- ASUS EAH4350 video card
- 4GB RAM
- 320GB 7200rpm SATA (system drive, not sure of the make/model)
- Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm SATA (audio drive)
- WD 500GB 5400rpm SATA (backup drive)
- WD 60GB external USB drive (itunes and pictures)
- whatever my stock burner was


This will all be paired up with...
- Vista Ultimate
- M-Audio ProFire2626/PTMP8 (buying both later this week)
- UAD-1 card
- Behringer BCF2000
- Edirol PCM80 midi controller



Regarding the P5K Pro... I've read somewhat mixed reviews on here, but the bad reviews were mostly from one poster. Should I go ahead and roll the dice? Would I be fine as long as I get the Siig FW card? Or would I be better off with a P5Q? Something else? I'm trying to keep the motherboard to around $100...

Thanks in advance. I'd like to buy this thing tonight, so it can ship Monday.
Reply With Quote
  #2114  
Old 02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,782
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
to all the i7 builders...the 03/09 issue of CPU mag has a GREAT atricle on OC'g the i7/X58 builds. i know it's not on the shelves yet but it's a must read for all those that like to get the most outta their rigs!!
my parts are on order and should be here later this week!!!! i will have to find this article, thanx

i went out on my own on parts, had sunburst help in the vid card dept though. if all goes well this mb is only $200. newegg has lots of rebates now so the entire build was pretty darn cheap.
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #2115  
Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 PM
mykhal c's Avatar
mykhal c mykhal c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 4,355
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
my parts are on order and should be here later this week!!!! i will have to find this article, thanx
youre' gonna luv this then!!!!.....oh i forgot u already got this heads up from me!!

well for other DUC'ers...

another to add to your reading...02/09 issue of SOS mag

bottom line...i7 kicks the crap outta everythin'!!! including dual socket XEON X5335 2.66ghz

they tested i7 920 2.66ghz against other builds of same clock speed and the i7 handles processin' better at 32, 64, 128 buffer sizes. the XEON had a slight bit better number at 256...but just barely. at 32 it was the clear winner.

they used REAPER plugins for the testin'.

here is the closing excerpt from the article...

"As I’ve said before, though, the most appropriate test for any music PC is one that contains a representative combination of audio tracks, plug-ins and VST Instruments, so once again I turned to DAWbench for their Blofelds DSP40 test, only to find that once I’d racked up the same 200 Magneto plug-ins that maxed out the quad-core Q9650 3GHz machine mentioned above, the Cubase VST Performance meter was still barely up to 50 percent.

Tougher measures were called for, so I loaded up the DAWbench Universal DSP benchmark test and managed 151 Reaxcomp (RXC) plug-ins at a buffer size of 128 samples (3ms latency at 44.1kHz). This result means that the Scan PC exceeds the performance of a dual quad-core X5355 PC with identical clock speed (see the graph below), which is stunning performance for a single-CPU machine!

Final Thoughts

Intel’s Core i7 moves the goalposts so far that I consider it the most exciting CPU to be released for years. This Scan 3XS PC offers us audio performance that previously would have required two similarly clocked Xeon processors and an expensive dual-processor motherboard to match, and yet beats them by a significant margin at lower latencies.

In the past, some mainstream PC suppliers have misunderstood the special requirements of the musician with regard to low acoustic noise, modest graphics cards, and essential Windows tweaks. However, Scan’s 3XS audio, video and gaming arm prove here that they can offer just as much expertise as the specialist DAW builders, with the advantage of buying components in such bulk that they can keep system prices competitive. The Scan Power DAW PC offers a huge amount of processing power, yet Scan have managed to keep the price down to an incredible £1532. If you’re in the market for a more powerful PC, you should put it on your shortlist immediately."

Hardware Specifications

Case: Silverstone Kublai KL03 with two Sharkoon low-noise fans and ‘Silent Option’.
PSU: 600W Zalman ZM600-HP heatpipe-cooled modular PSU.
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO ‘SmackOver’, featuring Intel X58 chip set, one Socket 1366 for Intel Core i7 processor, four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets, one PCI, two PCIe x1, one PCIe x4, and two PCIe x16 slots, six SATA 3.0, 12 USB 2.0 and two Firewire ports.
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 with 2.66GHz clock speed and 8MB cache.
CPU heatsink: Thermalright True Copper.
System RAM: 3x1GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3.
System drive: Seagate ST3250310NS Barracuda 250GB SATA 300, 7200rpm.
Audio Drive: 750GB Samsung HD753LJ Spinpoint F1 SATA 300, 7200rpm.
Graphics Card: 512MB Palit 9500GT 800MHz PCI-E 2.0 (x16), VGA/S-Video/DVI-I outputs.
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN LightScribe 22x DVD+/-RW.
Additional Drive: Akasa 3.5-inch AK-ICR-01EB black internal multi-memory card reader with USB 2.0 port.
OS: Windows XP Professional with SP3.
__________________
bassist...deep pocketz anyone???!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Reply With Quote
  #2116  
Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
lego lego is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 365
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
anyone give the samsung HD's a shot? Their a tad cheaper wondering if their any good.
I use Samsung HDs for some time and I prefer them over other typical ones because:
1. none of them died yet (I've got about 15)
2. they are way less noisy than some others
3. their specs are similar to real-life
4. good price

The computers where they work are of everyday use, but are not the haviest loaded - office and PT LE up to 30-something tracks.
Reply With Quote
  #2117  
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,782
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
youre' gonna luv this then!!!!.....oh i forgot u already got this heads up from me!!

well for other DUC'ers...

another to add to your reading...02/09 issue of SOS mag

bottom line...i7 kicks the crap outta everythin'!!! including dual socket XEON X5335 2.66ghz

they tested i7 920 2.66ghz against other builds of same clock speed and the i7 handles processin' better at 32, 64, 128 buffer sizes. the XEON had a slight bit better number at 256...but just barely. at 32 it was the clear winner.

they used REAPER plugins for the testin'.

here is the closing excerpt from the article...

"As I’ve said before, though, the most appropriate test for any music PC is one that contains a representative combination of audio tracks, plug-ins and VST Instruments, so once again I turned to DAWbench for their Blofelds DSP40 test, only to find that once I’d racked up the same 200 Magneto plug-ins that maxed out the quad-core Q9650 3GHz machine mentioned above, the Cubase VST Performance meter was still barely up to 50 percent.

Tougher measures were called for, so I loaded up the DAWbench Universal DSP benchmark test and managed 151 Reaxcomp (RXC) plug-ins at a buffer size of 128 samples (3ms latency at 44.1kHz). This result means that the Scan PC exceeds the performance of a dual quad-core X5355 PC with identical clock speed (see the graph below), which is stunning performance for a single-CPU machine!

Final Thoughts

Intel’s Core i7 moves the goalposts so far that I consider it the most exciting CPU to be released for years. This Scan 3XS PC offers us audio performance that previously would have required two similarly clocked Xeon processors and an expensive dual-processor motherboard to match, and yet beats them by a significant margin at lower latencies.

In the past, some mainstream PC suppliers have misunderstood the special requirements of the musician with regard to low acoustic noise, modest graphics cards, and essential Windows tweaks. However, Scan’s 3XS audio, video and gaming arm prove here that they can offer just as much expertise as the specialist DAW builders, with the advantage of buying components in such bulk that they can keep system prices competitive. The Scan Power DAW PC offers a huge amount of processing power, yet Scan have managed to keep the price down to an incredible £1532. If you’re in the market for a more powerful PC, you should put it on your shortlist immediately."

Hardware Specifications

Case: Silverstone Kublai KL03 with two Sharkoon low-noise fans and ‘Silent Option’.
PSU: 600W Zalman ZM600-HP heatpipe-cooled modular PSU.
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO ‘SmackOver’, featuring Intel X58 chip set, one Socket 1366 for Intel Core i7 processor, four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets, one PCI, two PCIe x1, one PCIe x4, and two PCIe x16 slots, six SATA 3.0, 12 USB 2.0 and two Firewire ports.
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 with 2.66GHz clock speed and 8MB cache.
CPU heatsink: Thermalright True Copper.
System RAM: 3x1GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3.
System drive: Seagate ST3250310NS Barracuda 250GB SATA 300, 7200rpm.
Audio Drive: 750GB Samsung HD753LJ Spinpoint F1 SATA 300, 7200rpm.
Graphics Card: 512MB Palit 9500GT 800MHz PCI-E 2.0 (x16), VGA/S-Video/DVI-I outputs.
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN LightScribe 22x DVD+/-RW.
Additional Drive: Akasa 3.5-inch AK-ICR-01EB black internal multi-memory card reader with USB 2.0 port.
OS: Windows XP Professional with SP3.

ahhh that sounds so nice. i am just hoping and praying it plays nice with pro tools!!

as soon as i get it together and tested and all is good, i will layout my parts spec with d verb results, hopefully next weekend.

if your gonna swap parts (as i am) psu typically will work from the q builds as well as well as SOME heat sinks from the processor, then keep the dvd drives and hard drives and case but all i had to purchase is cpu, ram, mb, heatsink. ram is the biggie here though, cant be skimping!!

will report here when it is done, but will probably start a post to keep it seperate from the q builds. sure i will hit you up w a couple questions mykhal, you are doing a great service around here!!
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #2118  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
mykhal c's Avatar
mykhal c mykhal c is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 4,355
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
ahhh that sounds so nice. i am just hoping and praying it plays nice with pro tools!!

as soon as i get it together and tested and all is good, i will layout my parts spec with d verb results, hopefully next weekend.

if your gonna swap parts (as i am) psu typically will work from the q builds as well as well as SOME heat sinks from the processor, then keep the dvd drives and hard drives and case but all i had to purchase is cpu, ram, mb, heatsink. ram is the biggie here though, cant be skimping!!

will report here when it is done, but will probably start a post to keep it seperate from the q builds. sure i will hit you up w a couple questions mykhal, you are doing a great service around here!!
thanks bro!! hit me up whenever u need
__________________
bassist...deep pocketz anyone???!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Reply With Quote
  #2119  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 AM
chrigu_t chrigu_t is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Hi there!

I'm looking for a PC for my Digi002 Rack and builded HW like this:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
4096 MB DDR2-RAM PC-667
500GB Harddisk
20x DVD-RW

ASROCK G31M-GS Mainboard (Intel G31)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 384MB Shared

Windows XP Prof.


I'm not shure about the G31 Intel Chipset.

Does anybody see something wrong or can offer me an advice?

Thanks u all!
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2120  
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
jmshap jmshap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrigu_t View Post
Hi there!

I'm looking for a PC for my Digi002 Rack and builded HW like this:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
4096 MB DDR2-RAM PC-667
500GB Harddisk
20x DVD-RW

ASROCK G31M-GS Mainboard (Intel G31)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 384MB Shared

Windows XP Prof.


I'm not shure about the G31 Intel Chipset.

Does anybody see something wrong or can offer me an advice?

Thanks u all!
Chris
From what I have read it seems like you should try to avoid the integrated graphics. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i7 Builds - Specs and Results mykhal c Windows 6785 11-16-2019 05:25 AM
Intel Quad Core vs. i-series solidwalnut 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 7 11-23-2010 06:16 AM
Have a Quad Core (Asus P5K). Use Only One Core Active For Best Results? MIDI Issues. epu 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 11 08-12-2009 03:24 AM
are these specs ok? (low budget 2 core) korkman 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 8 08-22-2008 03:44 AM
8 Core Mac Pro, Leopard and Windows results pasanta 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 01-13-2008 07:51 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com