Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 AM

Default UH OH. i may have lost many years of work.. unless

man i thought i was having problems with my other drive.. (windows only seeing 30 Gb out of 120Gb)

now my 2 month old western digital, 200GB WD2000 has losts its mind.

i got some errors, windows said run chkdsk..
anyway the way it stands now is this:
if i right click the drive and do properties, it shows there are so many thousands of files, 120 Gb used, 60 Gb free.. like it normally does.

However when i open up the drive, there is 1 mp3 and 1 folder which i cant even open.. (normally in the root i had about 10 folders..)

someone please help.. is this permanent damage? are there techs who can restore that data.
like i said it shows there is stuff on the drive.
a neigbor suggested putting it in another computer, but the other one i have is old and i havent gotten that one to even recognize a 120 Gb drive yet.

or am i wasting my time. is all that data gone?

im willing to pay whatever..
should i send it back to western digital, is that something they would do?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: UH OH. i may have lost many years of work.. un

I don't know any of this for sure, but from what I've heard drives CAN be restored. BUT you have to pay a rediculous amount of money to have it done. I guess major corporations that loose invaluable data pay to have this done. for an end user, I doubt the data is worth as much as it will probably cost. search around google to see what's available.

best of luck!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Try PC File Recovery, it has helped me more than a few times with lost data. It's free just do a google search. I've even found files with it after a quick format. Hope that helps you out, also you could always try looking in DOS to see what it sees, if it's there in DOS you can create a new directory and copy the files into it. If you don't know how to do that I can help just email me kevin@karmarecording.com.

-KP
Old 02-12-2005, 01:05 PM

PC Inspector can be a lifesaver, too.
http://tinyurl.com/3znp8
Old 02-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: UH OH. i may have lost many years of work.. unless

First of all - don't panic. If properties shows you the files they are probably still there.

Things to try...

Check out your drives in "Computer Management" (programs > administrative tools > computer management > disk management ). See if it tells ytou about any significant event concerning your drive.

You may have a virus which oftens affects root directories on drives. Get rid of it.

You can try to uninstall the drive - reboot your computer (so it erases the drive from its hardware profile) then reinstall the drive and let the system re-recognize it again.

You can also try a "system restore" (programs > accessories > systems tools > system restore) where you roll back your computer's config to a working date.

Or you have changed something on your system. Think back to the last time everything was fine, and what you may have changed on your system since then. Have you downloaded anything from the internet, or installed a new program or windows update? Try uninstalling new programs.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:17 PM

The System Restore feature does not back up the entire contents of a drive like an Image or Ghost.
It will not replace/restore all deleted files.
It is most effective in restoring a particular OS/software state.
Further, it's a really good idea to turn off the feature on your storage drives.

Back up, Back up, Back up...
You become a power user when you become dependent important data.
It should be backed up in at least two places.

Hard drives and drive trays are cheap.

End of sermon.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: UH OH. i may have lost many years of work.. unless

Check your email guy.
Dont reformat no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:29 PM

Right - system restore only backs up the system settings, including the hardware profile he had when the drive was working. If that had been changed for some reason, he could get it back by using system restore. I thought that was obvious.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:01 PM

I didn't mean that to sound like a reprimand, cruise.

From the mention of the chkdsk error, I believe he's looking at a problem with his drive. Whether it's a corrupted file system, MBR or imminent drive failure, System Restore may do more harm than good.

Using one of the above mentioned programs to help recover and backup the data should be done first.
Then a test of the drive to determine if the drive is dying of if the file system is just damaged would be the next step.
If the drive is healthy,reformat and replace the data.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:23 AM

I also suspected MBR as a possibility, but I didn't see how doing a system restore could do any harm, after "rebooting" it is the option I almost always try second and it has done wonders for me many times. Most problems are simple ones, and are caused by something that happened or the user did to the system (a bad download, or a power outage) as opposed to outright hardware failure, especially on a drive that is only 2 months old.

I also have had windows tell me on TWO different computers lately that I had an drive problems, and I did go out and buy the backup harddrive,etc... as you recommended. However, a few reboots and drives "fixed" themselves with no help at all from me.

XP is a little different in that it doesn't force you into chkdsk when you power off without shutting down, the way windows 95 used to - but the system still has to do it, it just does it in the background. This takes longer, and often people don't let it finish before they shut down (how could they know it wasn't finished?). And in these cases, a system restore does wonders.

It will be interesting to see what the problem was.