How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Always Calculating Waverform Overviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by composergarrett View Post
That makes sense, but I cannot figure why it's happening while I'm in my session. The HDD is not un-mounting and re-mounting while I have the session open (to the best of my knowledge). The waveform calculation just *happens* while I'm in the middle of editing.

I'll try running the session from a Firewire drive instead of USB and see if that helps eliminate the problem.

Thank you!
hi, may i ask, is Pro Tools tossing up any sort of Error or Dialog Box that says Waveforms Recalculating ?? anything at all that might give us another Clue ..

i have worked on long form sessions here as well and have never seen this .. YEt !!!

thank you john
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 AM

From Avid's PT 12.8 "What's New" doc, p. 36-37.

(Both settings are HD-only, so it probably won't help the OP. I read these notes for the first time today and haven't experimented with either of the settings.)

"Local Waveform Cache Versions Preference

(Pro Tools HD Only)

The Local Waveform Cache Versions preference determines whether or not one or more copies of the Waveform cache are stored locally for sessions on network storage systems (such as Avid NEXIS).

Keeping a short history of the Waveform cache stored locally can greatly speed up opening sessions on network storage. Rendering tasks and redrawing waveforms are also quicker when the Waveform cache is stored locally.

A setting of 0 means that no local Waveform cache is stored and the Waveform cache is only saved on the network storage system. A setting of 1 always only saves the most recent version of the Waveform cache locally and deletes the previously locally saved Waveform cache. You can store up to 99 versions of the Waveform cache locally. When the designated number of versions to be stored locally is exceeded creation of a new Waveform cache, the oldest locally stored Waveform cache is deleted.

The local Waveform cache (if any) is saved to the Documents/Pro Tools/Local Waveform Cache folder on your system drive.

To set the number of most recent versions of the local waveform cache to be stored:
1 Choose Setup > Preferences.
2 Click the Operations tab.
3 Click the number field for the Local Waveform Cache Versions setting.

4 Type the desired number and press Enter.
5 Click OK to close the Preferences dialog and save your changes.

Parallel Task Optimizations Preference
(Pro Tools HD Only)

The Parallel Task Optimization preference lets you select the optimal possible number of parallel pro- cessing tasks that can happen at the same time on your computer. Relevant factors include how many core processors your computer has, how fast the proces- sors are, how fast or how fragmented your hard drives are, how fast your network storage connection is, and so on. The optimal possible number of parallel pro- cessing tasks is usually proportional to the number of core processors in your computer. You may want to compare different settings to see what works best with your system.

Affected parallel processing tasks include:
• Waveform calculation
• File indexing
• Rendering Clip Gain, Clip Effects, and Elastic Audio

To set the optimal possible number of parallel processing tasks for your system:
1 Choose Setup > Preferences.
2 Click the Processing tab.
3 From Parallel Task Optimizations, select the best setting for your system"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 PM

Thinking on this waveforms topic, I can add an experience I had yesterday right after upgrading 12.7 to 12.8. I had warped 4 stereo tracks in polyphonic and rhythmic settings, then set them to X-form prior to committing them (which may or may not be an optimal workflow). The conversions from polyphonic to X-form of these four stereo tracks in a song took maybe 12-15 minutes. I don't recall this operation taking so long in recent previous versions. Maybe a minute at the most. My guess is that some of the processing is taking longer due to new ways that PT is calculating waveforms. Hopefully that's translating to better audio quality and PT stability. I'll experiment with these settings to see if things can go faster for me.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 PM

I can confirm the random waveform redraw as well with 12.8 HD Native. Haven't noticed anything that "triggers" it. Just editing/zooming and all of a sudden it starts redrawing. I've also seen "corrupt" waveforms which are less frequent but still more so than I've seen in any previous version of PT going back to ver 5. Forcing a redraw from the bin resolves the problem but still inconvenient to have resources being spent on this. I'm working on episodic and feature length program. It's indiscriminate in what will be redrawn. 90 minute temp score and 3 second long DX takes are both susceptible and it's usually several files being redrawn.

-chris
-
PT HD 8 PCIx G5 (192 I/O)

Artist Series Mix & Avid Dock

www.quesound.com
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardWilliam View Post
Thinking on this waveforms topic, I can add an experience I had yesterday right after upgrading 12.7 to 12.8. I had warped 4 stereo tracks in polyphonic and rhythmic settings, then set them to X-form prior to committing them (which may or may not be an optimal workflow). The conversions from polyphonic to X-form of these four stereo tracks in a song took maybe 12-15 minutes. I don't recall this operation taking so long in recent previous versions. Maybe a minute at the most. My guess is that some of the processing is taking longer due to new ways that PT is calculating waveforms. Hopefully that's translating to better audio quality and PT stability. I'll experiment with these settings to see if things can go faster for me.

X-form always has taken a long time to process .. if that helps any !!!
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:15 PM

After having re-indexed my main Pro Tools storage as well as my entire SFX library it seems to have helped reduce the frequency of redraws. I noticed when I had the Workspace browser open to pull FX into my session that it would cycle the file list and do it's own indexing/refresh in the background. Probably wouldn't have noticed the activity without the browser open. Maybe has something to do with the database management being re-designed in 12.8. Didn't like the "original" rebuild of the DB while installing the upgrade, maybe? Not sure but it seems to have helped.
-
PT HD 8 PCIx G5 (192 I/O)

Artist Series Mix & Avid Dock

www.quesound.com