Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-20-2016, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 rack driver with Pro Tools 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Many people do this, running two systems on the same computer, one system for music applications, another one for daily applications.
Basically you have 2 options. First one is to partition your OSX drive and to install each system on one of the partitions. It's the most convenient way probably and it does work for people but Pro Tools does not like it a lot to run from a partitioned drive in general. Second option is to run the second OSX from another internal or an external drive.
Never had any problems with PT10 or PT11 on my multi-partition system (OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5). I keep the dual-boot system because I have some programs that will not run on Mavericks. It also allows me to have different versions of Digital Performer and Reason. A neat thing a lot of people might not know about is being able to access/run programs across partitions if needs be.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM

Default OK - I have PTLE 8.05 working on Mavericks 10.9.5 BUT - 002 lightsup, period

PT8.05 recognizes it but says "unsupported device."

However, my MBox2 works and 8.05 is more than I need.

So my Q is this:

Before I trash the 002, is there a workaround? Right now curiously it does read MIDI into 8.05, but the channel lights are dim and the faders stuck at mid-point.

Please advise and thanks

Blue Ridge

PS - Sweetwater suggests upgrading to El Capitan and annual subscription to PT 12. But I don't need it.

MacBook Pro i7, 1TB SSD OSX 10.9.5
Glyph 1tb External HD 7200
002, Mbox Mini (both still working on OSX 10.9.5)
(Mbox records well, static on playback. Output works through MBP headphone jack)
External Acer 23" Screen

Still waiting to choose and to install PT 10-11-12

Old system (still running):

Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 5.5 gig memory
160 (main) & 80 (audio) gig internal hd's
OSX 10.4.11
PTLE 7.1,CS10,
002 Console
Reason 3.0, Live 5.2.2
Old 04-27-2016, 04:24 AM

Default Re: OK - I have PTLE 8.05 working on Mavericks 10.9.5 BUT - 002 lightsup, period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
However, my MBox2 works and 8.05 is more than I need.
Well, Iīm not sure if it does -work- if itīs static on playback and the only output that works comes through the MBP headphone jack.

Quote:
PT8.05 recognizes it but says "unsupported device.
Maybe because PT 8.0.5 itself isnīt supported at all with Mavericks.

Quote:
is there a workaround?
Nope there isnīt any.

Quote:
8.05 is more than I need.
Thatīs more than ok. Why not? Great!

Quote:
Please advise
There only can be one serious, helpful advice-use the right and fitting components together and you will have a good chance to get a properly working system again.

Use LE8.0.5 together with an OSX which was supported with it, together with hardware which was supported with both and it for sure will work finally.
If you try anything else? You can do that of course but you will be on your own and Iīm afraid nobody else will be to be blamed if it will fail to work.

You simply have two options.
1) adjust your version of Pro Tools to your current version of OSX=get the PT12 upgrade which will include PT10+11 as well and also replace your interface with a
suiting/supported one.
2) adjust your version of OSX to your PTLE8.0.5=get another, older (2009-2011) Macbook on Ebay for the use with OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and PTLE8.0.5 only
and run the suiting/supported OSX for LE8.0.5 and the 002.

1) With an PT12 upgrade you even can stay with your current OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 and install versions of Pro Tools 11.3.1-12.2.1 on it without any problems.
Going that route even may enable you to get your 002/Mbox 2 back to work because there will be the fitting version of OSX with the fitting version of Pro Tools at
least and 10.9.5 is only 1 update away from the supported 10.9.4 (MBox 2) if you know what I mean. From Yosemite upwards there showed up tons of issue reports
from 002/003 users, up to and still with Mavericks many people seemed to be able to use their units anyway (even if being unsupported already).
As mentioned before, 2 fitting components and 1 unsupported one will offer you a much better chance than 3 non-fitting components obviously (PTLE8.0.5 on OSX
Mavericks 10.9.5 and an 002/MBox 2). It simply doesnīt help that LE8.0.5 and the hardware would work theoretically as long as the OSX will not work with either.

2) For the use with OSX 10.6.8, Pro Tools LE8.0.5 and the 002/MBox 2 even relatively old, not so powerful Macbooks will suffice which means you could get such a
one for just a couple hundreds on Ebay and get a stable, well working PT recording system again. Independent from your current Mavericks MBP.
If you say you donīt not need more than LE8.0.5 this even would be the better, less complicated, more affordable way to go finally.
You will not need more than 4GB Ram for this 32bit system and not the most powerful processor actually. Just make sure it has FW, even better still FW400, and put in
an 7200rpm HDD if it hasnīt got one already (about 50 bucks only).
http://www.amazon.com/Black-500GB-Pe...lack+2.5+500GB
Such a 2009 15" Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro for example (but you can find even cheaper ones of course).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MACBOO...kAAOSwKfVXHn7p
If you havenīt got one already at home, you will need this one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-OS...nAr0yRXDU8zEQA
update it to a maxed out 10.6.8, including this one
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?...ewlocale=en_US
and you will be ready for LE8.0.5 and your 002/MBox 2.
If you need to download it again (LE8.0.3 full installer, LE8.0.5 update)
http://secure.digidesign.com/service...rticleId=43353

Again, if you really love your gear, the 002 as well as the LE8.0.5, to find an old, affordable yet useable Macbook for just the music recording system may not be such
a bad idea.
All other options would include to upgrade your version of Pro Tools at least as Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was the latest well working and supported OSX PTLE8.0.5 was
running on properly and also the 002 and the MBox 2 will not make you happy with the more current systems anymore=replacements will be needed.

Itīs all up to you finally.

All the best to you!
Old 11-04-2016, 02:03 AM

Hi,
Many Thanks for your clear, precise post.
Am considering reverting to 10.6.8 with my Digi002 on a another Macbook ( a proposed ebay purchase as you suggested), however, I now have most of my edited PT files in PT 12.5. and PT 10 format on another machine (Mac Pro 10.10.5).
Would the earlier version of PT LE 8.05 be able to open these ?
Thanks
Ian
Old 11-04-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanGreen View Post
Hi,
Would the earlier version of PT LE 8.05 be able to open these ?
Thanks
Ian
Unfortunately you cannot open an exact PT12/PT10 session in PTLE8.
As for the session format itself you will have to save your PT12/PT10
session separately as a copy in the PT7-PT9 format first.

Further you might be aware of that PTLE8 uses a completely different
plugin/VI format which means your plugins will not work in LE8 anymore
except the ones you have installed in RTAS format on your system.
Even some of these will not translate to PTLE8 exactly as in many cases
their inner architecture has changed completely with the newer versions.

Anyway.
What I really would suggest you to do, even it might be a real pita I know,
is to bounce/render all your used files in PT12/PT10 to audio files from the
beginning of each session throughout the last note. No matter if itīs edited
audio files or midi files and save your session data on an external as well.
Then additionally write down the most important parameter of your sessions
like tempo, time signature, resolution, etc just because very often importing
session data from different versions of PT does not work out as it is supposed
to. You have to save the plugin/VI presets you have used in your projects
separately as well. As for the most important ones you seriously want to keep
in your sessions you again better may write down itīs settings as often the prior
versions of the plugins cannot read presets created with later versions of it.

This is no good news unfortunately. I know. However you may take yourself the
required time necessary if your PT12/PT10 sessions are important to you.
You can of course try just saving your PT12/PT10 sessions in the PT7-PT9 format
and opening it with LE8 but thereīs a good chance it wonīt work out the easy way.
So I would suggest to better be prepared to not lose access to the most important
parts of your sessions like the musical data and session data.

With all files rendered as audio files from the beginning of your sessions you might
lose the option to edit/change things with midi tracks for example but you still can
use it in your songs. I highly recommend to do that before going back to PTLE8.

I have found you a few links which may provide you important info regarding this
issue. Read and check it out carefully before starting the whole procedure to not lose
important stuff finally.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en353093

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...-of-pro-tools/

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...older-versions

This is a DUC thread regarding opening sessions in older versions of PT.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374582
Interesting posting by Albee1952 saying:
Try holding the SHIFT key while opening the session. This will make all plugins inactive
(but retain settings)...
This is great info and clever advice for your particular case as well.

Finally. If you want to go back to LE8 only because of your 002 let me suggest you
to rather get a new audio interface/controller than trying to build back all your stuff.
You know, I often recommend people to stay with PTLE8.0.5 and OS X 10.6.8 if they still
have the dedicated old Macs (where they still can use 10.6.8) and the suiting hardware like
the 002, 003 or Mbox models series 2 and they consider upgrading their PTLE8 to the latest
versions of PT even if they are satisfied with their system in general or they just have upgraded
their OS X accidentally and cannot use their LE8/interface system anymore.
If they donīt need or seriously want PT12 and they are just happy with PTLE8 why should they
invest such a bunch of money finally as upgrading to PT12 actually means replacing not only the
version of Pro Tools but the whole system (audio interface, computer etc.). Which will cost a lot
of bucks at the end of the day.
Pro Tools LE8.0.5, OS X 10.6.8 on a suiting Mac with a suiting audio interface of that particular
generation is a great, rock solid recording system. Still valid.

On the other hand if you already have Pro Tools 10 or even version 12 on a computer which can
handle it as it is supposed to me personally would not recommend to go back only for the audio
interface/controller.
There are superior little audio interfaces outthere now which donīt cost you an arm or a leg actually.
Even if you miss the controller function of the 002 you might experience a lot less troubles upgrading
just your interface (and maybe your Mac if necessary -new drives and memory) than building it all
back and trying to turn your PT12 sessions into useable PTLE8 sessions without any loss of data/quality.

If you still want to go this path really check out the links above, bounce/render all your stuff to audio
all from the beginning of your sessions and write down the most important settings of plugins/VIs.
Even if it might be just kinda backup before you start it all because itīs not clear if and how much of the
stuff will work/will be accessible in your PTLE8 sessions again finally.

Wishing you the very best of success!

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:30 AM

Hi,
Many thanks for your extensive analysis!
I'm going to opt for another Ebay (?) second hand Macbook + my Digi 002 console to give me that ability for portable recording of vocal quartets that I had before rashly upgrading the existing family and "away from home" Macbook Pro to El Capitan.

So the options I think for acquiring 2nd Macbook Pro for portable recording

1. Balance the price, age .... processing speed (?), memory (?) etc and install the most stable (vis a vis PT) Mac OS for PT 8 or 10 that I purchased from Avid.
Or.... find out which is the most stable/usable earlier Mac OS for use with PT 12.

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.5 on my Mac Pro Early 2008 desktop with PT 12.4.0 but this has some stability issues ... how far back do I go back for the "portable recording" Macbook OS... Snow Leopard ?
Again, many thanks for your help.
Ian
Leeds
Old 11-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Hi,
Many thanks for your extensive analysis!
I'm going to opt for another Ebay (?) second hand Macbook + my Digi 002 console to give me that ability for portable recording of vocal quartets that I had before rashly upgrading the existing family and "away from home" Macbook Pro to El Capitan.

So the options I think for acquiring 2nd Macbook Pro for portable recording

1. Balance the price, age .... processing speed (?), memory (?) etc and install the most stable (vis a vis PT) Mac OS for PT 8 or 10 that I purchased from Avid.
Or.... find out which is the most stable/usable earlier Mac OS for use with PT 12.

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.5 on my Mac Pro Early 2008 desktop with PT 12.4.0 but this has some stability issues ... how far back do I go back for the "portable recording" Macbook OS... Snow Leopard ?
Again, many thanks for your help.
Ian
Leeds
Mavericks has been solid for PT10 and PT11

QAPLA!
Old 11-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
how far back do I go back for the "portable recording" Macbook OS... Snow Leopard ?
If you really want to use PTLE8 again you have to go back to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and use LE8.0.5. Thatīs the officially suiting combination and thatīs what used to work out finally.

However I would suggest you to back up your current system from your MacBook Pro to an external and just go forward instead. Means to try to do a clean install of macOS Sierra and PT12.6.
Set up all the recommended optimization stuff for Pro Tools
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...Optimize-10-11
and install only the programs you really need and which are 100% compatible with macOS Sierra. Do not install any driver for the 002 and do not connect it to your MacBook at this point.
Then try out PT12.6 (with the internal engine only) and check out if it will work as it is supposed to.
IF this system (without the 002) will be stable and useable so far I would recommend to get rid of the 002 and buy another audio interface with 4 mic pres instead.
You know, even the 002 and itīs drivers can corrupt your system finally. Itīs simply too old from a technical point of view for all the latest stuff.
What I mean is check out if the latest version of Pro Tools 12.6 and macOS Sierra will work properly with your current MacBook Pro basically. If they do it may be worth looking at another
more current audio interface to replace your old 002. This will not cost you more than any used MacBook Pro from Ebay etc. finally.
Well, you know, you will have to check if your current Macbook meets the requirements for PT12 of course but if it is pre 2013 it should be no problem to add at least 16GB Ram and a SSD
(or a 7200rpm HDD at least). Not too expensive these days anymore.
You said you would need to record a vocal quartet which indicates the need for four mic pres at least, right?
So the first piece of current gear which comes to my mind meeting the requirements will be this one:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_...srite_364355_3
This one seriously will be able to take the place of your 002. And itīs way more portable than the 002 ever was.
The audio quality with this Focusrite will be 2 classes above the 002 either. I know what I am talking about as I owned both the 002 as well as the 003 back in the days. And I liked it then.
No doubt about that. Nevertheless you can get so much more quality for relatively less money nowadays.
What I am trying to say is you might check out if you really want to go back to LE8 and your 002? Sure, it was a pretty stable, reliable system once but it could be worth trying out to do a
step forwards instead and see how and if will work out? You always can go back later.
If you rather would prefer to use LE8 on OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and your 002 you may check out this 2011 i7 Quad MacBook Pro I have found you on Ebay for example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacB...YAAOSwpLNYAm68
For PTLE8.0.5 you will not need more than 8GB Ram (32bit system) but you better replace itīs HDD with a large SSD. This will enable you to record your vocal quartet directly to your internal
probably without the need for any external audio drive. This SATA SSD will be an affordable yet good quality one for example.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX3...ywords=SSD+1TB
So finally. If Yosemite and PT12.4 doesn'tīt work out for you as itīs supposed to I would recommend to try out to go one step forward at first which will mean to back up your current system on
an external and then perform a clean install of macOS Sierra and PT12.6 on your current MacBook Pro without installing any driver for your 002, just using the internal audio engine of your MBP.
Further to install only things you really need and which are macOS Sierra compatible and set up all the optimization stuff for PT.
If this will not work out properly you may go back and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and PTLE8.0.5 on a suiting MacBook. As you might know the drivers for the 002 were included in the
PTLE8 installers already which means you would not have to install any extra drivers for your 002.

Whichever route you decide to go finally I wish you the best of success!

Cheers, VRW
Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Been using my 002 with no problems on my 2012 MacBook pro, I7 quad 2.7
16 gigs ram 960 SSD
I've been testing 12.5.2 with Mac OS 10.11.6...with the OS and Protools on a 256 gig SD card and recording tracks to the internal SSD.
I have 2 other macs here so if this one craps out, I can yank the SD card an put it in the other MacBook pro or a mac mini.
I have external firewire drives but I wanted to see how this worked first.
I have 12.6 and sierra on the SSD and have done some sessions and that seems pretty stable but I figure I'll wait til sierra has been out longer.
Been trying this setup for months but have not done a pile of huge mixes but this OS Protools combo seems good so far..fingers crossed.
I just had black lion update the oo2 for the second time, this time to the signature update and it sounds great!
So anyhow, working great here, peace!