Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 AM

Default Re: HEAT- is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTooler View Post
So, are you saying that if you have HEAT TDM now, you'll automatically get HEAT AAX without having to buy it twice?
I hope they do!!!!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM

Any word from AVID on whether HEAT will work with HD-native systems under AAX...or only with the $7k AAX DSP cards ?
Mobile: 2017 Macbook Pro, OSX 10.13.6, PT 2018.x.x, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 AM

I'd bet HEAT will remain DSP dependent even in AAX. It's tied to the mixer so tightly that I think it will have to be this way.

Phoenix II will be available in AAX Native as an alternative.http://www.cranesong.com/Phoenix_II.html

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I'd bet HEAT will remain DSP dependent even in AAX. It's tied to the mixer so tightly that I think it will have to be this way.

Phoenix II will be available in AAX Native as an alternative.http://www.cranesong.com/Phoenix_II.html
In my understanding, HEAT is based on Phoenix, so both are TDM only.
Since Phoenix II supports both AAX Native and DSP, technically HEAT should be supported both Native and DSP.

However, Avid may drop Native, or charge another hundreds of dollars.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM

heat is well worth it. have used it on every mix since getting it - every single mix. as others have said, it's when you turn it off that you realize what it's doing.

in use, i like adding it toward the end of a mix. it warms everything up in a way that doesn't get in the way at all. more or less, it's on every track (you can bypass individual tracks if you want to). sometimes it does do a little too much to certain tracks - acoustic guitars, percussion and others are easy suspects and not always, just sometimes. sometimes bass gtr tracks get a little too big (i can't believe i'm writing that, but it happens). i quickly go through each track and make sure nothing is getting too crunchy, but it's usually on 90% or more tracks in a given session.

what it adds is hard to explain. all i can say is that i don't know of anyone that bought it and isn't happy that they did. everyone i know that tries it, loves it and feels like they can't live without it. i'm one of those guys.

m
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post

I wrote this on Gearslutz earlier today: "Currently HEAT is only planned for the HDX cards. I wrote Dave Hill about it over the weekend because I also wanted to know if a Native version of RA was coming. He said if there was enough interest shown to Avid from users and the CPU hit wasn't too big, HEAT could possibly be ported over to the Native AAX format. Apparently, RA will be ported over to AAX native and dsp early in the new year."
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrussell View Post
heat is well worth it. have used it on every mix since getting it - every single mix. as others have said, it's when you turn it off that you realize what it's doing.

in use, i like adding it toward the end of a mix. it warms everything up in a way that doesn't get in the way at all. more or less, it's on every track (you can bypass individual tracks if you want to). sometimes it does do a little too much to certain tracks - acoustic guitars, percussion and others are easy suspects and not always, just sometimes. sometimes bass gtr tracks get a little too big (i can't believe i'm writing that, but it happens). i quickly go through each track and make sure nothing is getting too crunchy, but it's usually on 90% or more tracks in a given session.

what it adds is hard to explain. all i can say is that i don't know of anyone that bought it and isn't happy that they did. everyone i know that tries it, loves it and feels like they can't live without it. i'm one of those guys.

m
i am sold on it and will now flex paypal muscle

just saw the video for the c400 it looks a nice little tool for mobile recording