Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Default PT 10 takes long time to open

Anyone else having issues with load times in PT 10? Mine takes forever to open sessions. It hangs on the window that reads "activating tracks" for about 45 seconds, then finally opens my sessions after about a full minute of waiting. These are not large sessions either.

I can't understand why this is happening. Granted, the session does load and I should be happy about that, given other issues people face, but if there's a fix or suggestion, it'd be great to know about it. It just slows me down.

Thanks.

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
2020 iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5, 64GB Ram
UA Apollo Rackmount Thunderbolt + Dangerous D-Box
2x Glyph Studio 2TB Raid SSD
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Re: PT 10 takes long time to open

This could be a couple things - first, have you tried trashing prefs and databases yet?

Second - make sure that ALL installed plug-ins are compatible. See the plug-in grid link in the header of the forum. After removing/updating plug-ins trash prefs so that all plug-in data can be recached.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:27 PM

I have the exact same problem.

I have tried everything to fix it, including reinstalling PT, also loading an empty session, also saving a session to both internal and external drives and then re-loading from each and comparing load time. In every case, my sessions ALWAYS take over 2 minutes to load. And yes, mine also hangs on the message of activating windows.

Let me add that loading the program itself goes very quickly. It's only a session that bogs down everything.

I've talked to Avid tech support about it. Since I've tried every bit of troubleshooting in their playbook, they don't have an answer. At least nothing yet.

One of my hunches, which was also the hunch of the Avid tech support guy, is that it may have to do with the fact that I have a new iMac with Lion, that boots off an SSD drive. Do you have any part of that same system? If you do have the SSD, that would seem to confirm the problem as being a hardware glitch. Every mac now being sold offers an SSD as the boot drive, and i wouldn't be surprised if not far in the future the SSD becomes standard on a mac.

By the away, i do not have this problem with any other software, including audio stuff like Logic, Reaktor, and Audition.

It would be worthwhile for us to compare systems, just to see if anything matches which may help isolate the problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Oreo, I've been using PT 9 and now PT 10 on an SSD for nearly a year with no problems. If anything, it loads PT even faster now. In PT10, sessions are opening MUST faster than in PT9, even with huge mixing sessions.

What plugins are you using? As a test, you could try duplicating a session, strip out ALL plugins, close and reopen, and see if the problem goes away. Granted, loading plugins should take SOME time, but not as bad as what you're seeing.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Aside from the plug-in compatibility issues, have you run Disk Warrior on your system drive? I noticed a big improvement in speed when I disk warrior-ed my system drive. You need to boot from a different system drive that has disk warrior installed...

I'm using a 240GB SSD with 10.6.8 and Pro Tools 10HD.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Don't think my problem is plugins. I've trashed all the preference files and nothing changes. Anyway, I believe plugins get loaded with the PT program, not with the sessions. Correct?

when i start a session, the screen continually shows messages of various components loading. When it hits the message"Building Mix Window" it freezes there for about 30 seconds. Then it moves on until it hits "building transport window". There it hangs for 40-60 seconds. After that the session opens. After it opens everything works great. And very fast. And with my iMac's 16 gb memory I can use any combination of memory hog plugins that i wish with no slowdown.

I don't mean to steal this thread, so maybe the thread creator wishes to chime in with some good news about fixing his system.