Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2021, 10:58 PM

Default Noise at low buffer size after upgrade

I recently upgraded from PT 2018 to 2020.12 and upgraded my hardware from a 003 Console to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Presonus Faderport 8. I'm using a HPZ420 PC with 32 gig ram Windows 10 all up to date.

I had very few problems using 64 or 128 buffer size before, but now when I try to use anything from 512 or lower, I get a really bad static noise. Has anyone had this issue? I really need the lower buffer size to reduce latency when tracking. I was able to use the old setup (same computer) as low as 64 without a problem most times. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Noise at low buffer size after upgrade

003 Console is Firewire, and Scarlett, I believe, is USB, yes? You may have the Scarlett plugged into a busy USB bus. Try a different one. If it's in a USB 2 port (gray), try a USB 3 port (blue). Or vice versa. If it's plugged into the back, try a front port. You might find that you need to switch around which devices are in which port to get a clean bus.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-15-2021, 10:54 AM

Thanks ... I'll have to try that
Old 02-15-2021, 11:05 AM

USB ports are worth trying, but you are really wasting your time posting here without going through basic troubleshooting steps. Start at “Help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page.

Is the computer fully optimized? Every last thing done, including BIOS settings. I don’t care if it worked better before and even if you never worried about this stuff before. Optimize it now and do every last thing.

Post a SiSoft Sandra report

What are you doing in these sessions? Does this happen in trivial sessions? With no plugins active?

Do you have ignore errors checked, if so uncheck it, you *want* to see errors. And if it is throwing AAE cpu errors then beyond the standard optimization you will want to setup CPU priority/affinity as discussed in lots of threads on DUC.

Also especially. If you get CPU errors... did you upgrade all plugins? Check they are claimed compatible with your new setup? Have you tried moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder?
Old 02-15-2021, 02:06 PM

Thanks ... see answers inserted - I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting and I'm not new to PT, Computers, or Troubleshooting. I was actually an IT guy for a number of businesses for a few years, but now only work on my own and some family. I posted here because before I got to far down the rabbit hole, I figured I'd see if there was someone who had experienced it too.

USB ports are worth trying, but you are really wasting your time posting here without going through basic troubleshooting steps. Start at “Help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page. I'm not sure I know what that is??

Is the computer fully optimized? Yes - I recently had replaced my drive with a new SSD and had to redo everything, but I've always followed the optimization steps. Every last thing done, including BIOS settings. I don’t care if it worked better before and even if you never worried about this stuff before. Optimize it now and do every last thing.

Post a SiSoft Sandra report That's a new one on me - where and how?

What are you doing in these sessions? Mixing and TrackingDoes this happen in trivial sessions? I started a brand new session from a template with very few plugins, and tried with them all bypassed ... same issue With no plugins active?

Do you have ignore errors checked No, if so uncheck it, you *want* to see errors. And if it is throwing AAE cpu errors then beyond the standard optimization you will want to setup CPU priority/affinity as discussed in lots of threads on DUC.Not getting errors - just noise. I have an HPZ420 with all updates, SSD main drive and data drive, Dual monitors, 32 gb ram, 8 core Xeon CPU, 18i20 Interface with Behringer 8 ch pre with ADAT cables, new bnc clock cable, Presonus Faderport 8,

Also especially. If you get CPU errors... did you upgrade all plugins? YesCheck they are claimed compatible with your new setup?they are Have you tried moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder?no ... not sure if I understand that one.

I do appreciate your knowledge and time. I will go back and recheck those things you mentioned.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:15 PM

The "Help us help you" link is up the to of every DUC web page... you are on DUC (Digidesign User Community). If you are using a mobile forum app go to the web site, the "Help us help you" link will take you here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Its a bit of a disorganized and out of date mess, but you can find the most relevant troubleshooting steps and optimization info (which you are already doing, which is great), info on Sandra reports etc..

That you are not getting AAE CPU errors points back to USB as being a first thing to explore. Make sure you are using the latest ASIO drivers from interface are installed, and you say Pro Tools is not accidentally using ASIO4ALL if that happens to be installed.

Moving .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and restarting Pro Tools (Pro Tools will automagically put back the base plugins) is the gold standard way of checking for playing problems, plugins can cause problems just being installed, you don't' need to actually be using them... but this would be a route to go if you are getting Pro Tools to throw AAE CPU related errors. Which might have been masked if you had ignore errors checked.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:11 PM

What's the monitoring path here? Headphones? Speakers?

A few months ago I set up a live monitoring situation for a pianist playing Ivory. I used a pair of Yamaha DXR8s and patched them from the monitor outs on my Red8Pre. If I plugged in via TRS to the speakers, I got noise. If I plugged in via XLR, there was no noise. My assumption was the the 1/4" input on the speakers isn't truly balanced while the XLR is. So the way your monitoring is patched could be coupling the noise.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-15-2021, 08:49 PM

I have the same monitor path as before. Powered monitors (2 sets) and a 4 channel headphone amp, all thru a Central Station, but the noise happens on all outputs - hp, speakers, even direct hp plugged into the 18i20. All signal path is balanced.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 AM

Just a quick update. I went through all the optimizations again based on the suggestions here and a video on MixbusTV on YouTube https://youtu.be/N8EOmS5V8BE. I also replaced the Toslink cables, hooked up new BNC cables for the word clock, and moved the 18i20 to the 2.0 USB port, as well as moved the computer closer so I didn't need to extend the original cable. Not sure which of the things made the difference and I took the opportunity to redo my setup, move things around, and now the problems with the lower buffer rates creating noise seem to be fixed, and latency has been reduced to a workable time, even with a big session and many channels and plugins.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:26 AM

I am still trying to get a handle on the Focusrite Control routing in conjunction with the Pro Tools I/O settings. I'm remixing and re-recording some parts on songs that were created at different times, and I didn't have a standard or template that was the same for all the sessions, so it is a project opening the songs and trying to remember what I did then redoing all of the I/O settings to work with the new setup.

The instruction on the Focusrite Control leaves a little to be desired. Still trying to find some good videos on it.

Oh well ... at least things are moving in the right direction - thanks again for all of your help.