Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Using ProTools with Cubase SX3?

Hello all,

Well I have a complicated system and was hoping someone was out there that could help me piece it all together. I have DigiDesign 002 Rack that I primarily want to use it for vocal recording only and mixing down, along with CUbase SX3 that I would like to use for sequencing and Music development. I love SX for its sequencing so I want to use SX for that. However, I know SX does perform very well with vocal recordings, but due to the industry standard for mixing down and mastering usually being in a Protools format I have opted to go with protools for all my post mixing and vocal recording. I have heard there are many people who use Protools and CubaseSX together and I want to get an idea how people do that and how do they set their system up to do so. Some Questions I have are the following:

1) Does anyone run these two products together? If so, how do you run them EXACTLY?

2) Can I use the 002-Rack as a sound card for my audio ins and outs? If so, how do I do this exactly set my system up to do this?

Please answer my questions as if I am an idiot, because I am, and please do not assume I know anything. Also let me give the specs of what I have going on in my system. I Motu 8x8 midi controlloer, Tascam 1840 Control Surface/Board, Proteus 2000, Reason 3.0, Roland XV-3080, and a Korg Triton Rack, along with the 002-Rack and Cubase SX. I run a powerful PC that has zero problems, but will soon make the switch to MAC.

I also heard that with Protools Le 4.1 the midi functions have been upgraded greatly. Is this true? And if so how? Please make your recommendations

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Using ProTools with Cubase SX3?

Yes with SL3 and asio driver
Old 03-17-2005, 11:10 AM

SX3 works fine with PT 6.7 and 002... in some ways better LOL.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:54 AM

Can you guys expand a little? For example, how you have this setup?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:46 AM

Im not sure I follow you... turn on the 002 and load cubase.. it sees everything on the 002 inputs outputs etc. If you are looking for intrinsic differences between the programs... it depends upon your learning style, how you like to work, gui, etc. One of the big differences is that cubase puts alot in the program that seems more native than a plug in. Digi folk who for the most part are audio processors... buy their preferred plugs. I like both programs... I like the midi power and detailed graphics of cubase(I dont like the "bright" colors however)... but, i like the simple straigt forward approach of pt (audio editing is the best and that is a fact)...also the nice subtle color scheme which is easy to look at for hours. It really is hard to find everything in one program... some people say Logic has arrived. One thing is for sure if digi doesnt up the anty .... with features like vst support (without the wrapper... i hate that thing), better gui detailed graphics, channel strip including eq, compression, etc. , notation, etc. they may lose more customers to the cubase/nuendo market that is gaining in market share. Fact is DAW's are much more than audio processors now. They are complete sequencer, film scoring, audio editing systems.