Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Protools & Cubase

I am currently in the process of buying the Digi002 rack with the command 8 or just the Digi002. Does anyone know if i can use the command 8 or the digi 002 as a control surface with cubase? i would hate to get the digi stuff and still have to purchase a separate control surface for cubase. I was told that I can use the 002 Rack as a sound card with cubase but no one knows if the control surface part is compatible. Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Protools & Cubase

I've never tried it, but I am a long-time Cubase user who started using Pro Tools in order to survive financially, and I've got some information about it.

Cubase SX can work with any controller that will send it MIDI. It has a "device" called 'Generic Remote' that can be configured in any way you want. You simply choose a function within Cubase and assign a MIDI CC to it. I configured my Novation ReMOTE 25 to control the mixer and many features of Cubase SX. It took me a while to set it all up, but it works like a charm.

With that in mind...

Digi 002, I wouldn't count on it. As far as I can tell from the information available (I've only got a Digi002 Rack), it will not output controller surface movements as MIDI. Without that ability, you're out of luck.

Command 8... maybe. It does have a MIDI controller mode, but it depends upon how full-featured it is. DigiDesign are known for making their hardware very proprietary, and not leaving you many options for working with other software. I'm still a little shocked at the ASIO driver they provide for PT hardware. Anyway... if its MIDI controller mode allows you to send all movements on the control surface out as MIDI, then you should be able to devote a little time to setting it up in Cubase and have it work just fine.

If you're looking for a control surface that will control Pro Tools as well as Cubase, I believe the Mackie Control is still usable in Pro Tools. Maybe that would be a good option for you, in addition to a Digi 002 rack.

-Mark
Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 AM

002 no

command 8 yes
Old 12-04-2004, 10:22 AM

Thank you much for the responses. Im off to guitar center!! I had the Mackie Universal Control and was not happy at all with the feel and response. Now I currently use the tascam fw-1082 as a control surface which works beautifully the only thing i wish it had was a little screen so i can see what track im on and stuff so thats why im thinkin of upgrading to the Command 8. But I know it doesnt have a jog wheel and I use mine lots..oh well. Thanks again for everything.