Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Pro Tools 11.3.1 not able to open 10.3.1 sessions

Recenly upgraded to 11.3.1, and with that my operating system from Mavericks to Yosemite 10.10.5

When I open a session which ran fine on PT10 in PT11 it doesn't run, and to get it loaded up i need to start it with plugins deactivated. but when i start reactivating them it seems like once i hit a certain number of plugins it freezes up and i need to force quit.

Anyone got any idea on this?

I've checked and seen that 10.10.5 is not compatible so im currently time machine installing from before i upgraded to yosemite in the hope that I can try installing 10.10.3 to see if it works.
Though ive ran through pretty much all the plugins and I cant find an issue with any of them. So im just trying as much as I can (on my laptop with the same setup) before my main iMac (which is on the time machine) finishes restoring.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11.3.1 not able to open 10.3.1 sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwellewis View Post
Recenly upgraded to 11.3.1, and with that my operating system from Mavericks to Yosemite 10.10.5

When I open a session which ran fine on PT10 in PT11 it doesn't run, and to get it loaded up i need to start it with plugins deactivated. but when i start reactivating them it seems like once i hit a certain number of plugins it freezes up and i need to force quit.

Anyone got any idea on this?

I've checked and seen that 10.10.5 is not compatible so im currently time machine installing from before i upgraded to yosemite in the hope that I can try installing 10.10.3 to see if it works.
Though ive ran through pretty much all the plugins and I cant find an issue with any of them. So im just trying as much as I can (on my laptop with the same setup) before my main iMac (which is on the time machine) finishes restoring.
It's good you figured out your first mistake in not paying attention to the compatibility chart before going to a new OSX. Which brings up this question: why are you putting OSX 10.10.3 on (or trying to)? Any Yosemite version will have issues.

What's not good is the next bit of business.
Why did you go to Yosemite when you went to PT 11.3.1? It'll run just fine in OSX 10.9.5 which is the last OSX that reliably runs PT10. The only issue with that combo is the PT uninstaller doesn't work but there are manual steps outlined on the Avid site for how to do that deed. For the longest time on another system I had here I ran PT10.3.10 & PT11.3.1 in OSX 10.9.5.
The next bit of 'not good' is using Time Machine to restore anything. TM is unreliable. Forget TM and buy Carbon Copy Cloner and use that to make bootable backups/clones. You do make regular backups right?

Lastly for now:
How did you go about putting the 'new' OSX on the computer? An in-situ aka The Apple Way upgrade where the new OSX gets installed right over the old one? Or the Right Way of wiping the hard drive and installing OSX, PT and everything else from clean? Never use Time Machine or Migration Assassin to bring things over. Painful? Yes. But do you to want to have headaches?

QAPLA!