Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-26-2016, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Newbie needing help

Well Janne - took your advice and went for the yearly rental .. will do that until he passes his A levels and then see if he gets into the Uni he wants to study music production .. if not then I can cancel it after the 2 years.

Seems the Sonar is developing a Mac version Sonar 4 (I think) but only in test mode at present so will wait and see if I can upgrade that at a later stage again under Educational if he goes to Uni and have that as back up. He can of coarse still have Sonar 8 Prod on Windows on his backup laptop if he chooses.

Once again thank to you all and no doubt will be back when he starts to use it for some advice ... cheers Derek
Old 11-26-2016, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Newbie needing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad on a budget View Post
Well Janne - took your advice and went for the yearly rental .. will do that until he passes his A levels and then see if he gets into the Uni he wants to study music production .. if not then I can cancel it after the 2 years.

Seems the Sonar is developing a Mac version Sonar 4 (I think) but only in test mode at present so will wait and see if I can upgrade that at a later stage again under Educational if he goes to Uni and have that as back up. He can of coarse still have Sonar 8 Prod on Windows on his backup laptop if he chooses.

Once again thank to you all and no doubt will be back when he starts to use it for some advice ... cheers Derek
Cakewalk/Gibson hasn't given a fancy name for the Mac version of Sonar yet; I don't think they'd call it Sonar 4 because that would confuse people who came up through the Sonar idiom from the original Sonar. Sonar 4 had some interesting things that didn't quite get straightened out until Sonar 5. Right now as a wrote it's a public beta or soon will be and at launch will only handle the plugins that come with the program meaning no external au or vst format plugins will work.

He'll be able to get a goodly amount of work done in Sonar 8 Producer. On the system I ran it on (Toshiba Satellite 1955 with 2.53 GHz P4 cpu, 2 gig ram, WinXP whittled down to run in under 100 meg ram load) I was able to run 30+ tracks with a goodly number of plugins no problem. Imagine what a modern system properly configured can run!

QAPLA!