Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-08-2016, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Pro tools 10 and Lion

Actually for stability and the ability to run on ancient operating systems Digital Performer does a bang-up job. The current version will run on anything from OSX 10.6.8 and up. The only issue is it's 64 bit. And there's no subscription and no iLok

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:25 AM

Hey - thanks all....

I might consider buying an older Mac pro and two monitors, if that could solve the CPU problem for now, and furthermore I get to keep my old plugins a while longer.
Question is how much power I would gain from Mac Pro 3.1 or 4.1? And should I stay with lion on that one as well, or get El Capitan or other OS?

Is it correct to say, that buying PT12 and the appropriate OSX on my relatively old imac with i5, wouldn't necessarily make it faster or able to run with more plugins?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:29 AM

Whatever you do do not choose OSX Seira cause protools will not work period.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrack View Post
Hey - thanks all....

I might consider buying an older Mac pro and two monitors, if that could solve the CPU problem for now, and furthermore I get to keep my old plugins a while longer.
Question is how much power I would gain from Mac Pro 3.1 or 4.1? And should I stay with lion on that one as well, or get El Capitan or other OS?

Is it correct to say, that buying PT12 and the appropriate OSX on my relatively old imac with i5, wouldn't necessarily make it faster or able to run with more plugins?
You are correct in your last statement.

An older MacPro won't necessarily solve your problem. That depends on the exact model you're looking at and how it's outfitted. A hot setup for on of the older models is if you can get one with a single hex core 3.33 GHz cpu; when new that machine had about the best bang for the buck. One thing you'll not want to scrimp on is the video card because you want to run two monitors. And older machines don't have Thunderbolt expansion ports. Just some things to keep in mind.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:21 AM

I would stick with Snow Leopard and PT 8.1.1 if you wanted to buy that Mac Pro. If you do, the 4.1 model is most widely supported and 5.1 model is pretty much identical but slightly more powerful.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:34 AM

As far as Mac OS's are concerned

10.6.8 was awesome....definitely recommended

10.7 wasn't bad, but 10.8 was so much better.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Everymac.com has info and specs on all macs and you can compare different models and features and geekbench tests. These geekbench numbers are indicators of the pure processor speeds and pretty much define how many plugins and PT tasks a mac will handle.

I must say, I compared quickly your imac and my mac pro and, sorry, it seems they have about the same level of CPU performance. That doesn't mean that I withdraw my suggestion, it might still be an option, but you'll have to research models and prices.

About OS and PT version, as I said, you might very well be able to just transfer the contents of the disk you're using now.

Also, a SSD makes a big difference on older machines.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM

SSD has nothing to do with plugin performance, but granted, it is nice to have your computer boot up in seconds instead of minutes.

And as far as CPU benchmarks are concerned, that is only a half truth. If you compare old Xeon and new i5 and they give the same number, it means best case scenario. In real life, Xeon behaves much better because the throughput is more predictable. In other words, the CPU meter in PT does not "spike" as much.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 AM

Great, this gives me something to think about...

Until I change my gear or upgrade, any tips on how to optimize the performance of the Imac/PT10 right now?

I already have installed max ram (16GB), repaired disk/disk permissions and all software are the latest versions. I'm not running other programs when using ProTools, and there are lots of HD-space left.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Great, this gives me something to think about...

Until I change my gear or upgrade, any tips on how to optimize the performance of the Imac/PT10 right now?

I already have installed max ram (16GB), repaired disk/disk permissions and all software are the latest versions. I'm not running other programs when using ProTools, and there are lots of HD-space left.