Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Firewire External HD will this work?

Wow, this is quite a painful learning process! I just recently upgraded to a new laptop and PT 8 with an Mbox Mini and have decided to get an external firewire drive for audio files. I've done a lot of reading in the forums and have checked the firewire requirements that Digi recommends but sadly some of the drives (Glyph etc) are just a little out of my price range.

I found this recommended by someone in another thread:

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Hard-D...c884/p536.aspx

As this enclosure contains an Oxford chip I assume it will be fine to use with my Firewire 400 port but what should I be looking for when I buy a hard drive for it?

I know that it needs to be a 3.5" SATA, 7200RPM and with a seek time of under 9ms (I think!) but are there specific, reliable makes that people would recommend or does it not really matter?

It seems that this is a bus powered, fanless enclosure but are there any reasons I should maybe go for an ac powered one with a fan?

Anything else to bear in mind?

I'm not really a technical person and the whole external thing is quite new to me. I've only ever used a USB Western Digital external in the past for general backup and didn't realise the subject could get so complicated!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Firewire External HD will this work?

If it's got the Oxford chipset it should be fine.

Also, Oyen Digital sell 2.5' Firewire Drives that are 7,200RPM

http://oyendigital.com/firewire-usb-...ard-drive.html

The prices are not bad.

I used this one:

http://oyendigital.com/firewire-hard-drive.html

with a 7,200 RPM Hitachi Drive in it and recorded an album in the north of Brazil which was well hot. The drive is not fan assisted and was totally fine.