Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Default Question About Velocity Curves

I'm relatively new to Pro Tools, so the answer to this very well might be right under my nose.

After recording a virtual instrument, I've been trying to work with the velocity. I've managed to change the velocity of the note itself, but is there any way to draw a curve that changes velocity mid-note? I would hope that it is possible, since that is a major part of expression, especially in strings and brass.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Question About Velocity Curves

You'd have to set up an expression pedal, or change the mod wheel assignment in your plug-in. Or even handle this with whatever ADSR envelopes are present in the plug-in. MIDI notes can only have a single velocity value per-note.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Alright, thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Since you're new, you may be unaware of some of the midi editing options. Up top, you will find the midi properties window with a number that represents the velocity of a selected note. at the lower right corner of that is a number for the default velocity of notes you "pencil in"(it defaults to 80). You can also expand/add a lane to your Midi or Instrument track and that will default to show velocity for every note. You can grab each and pull it up/down as you wish. You can also select a note on the tiny "keyboard" at the left edge of the track, which will highlight any midi notes on that note, and highlight all the velocity "stacks" for that note, allowing you to adjust all of those notes at once(handy if you are doing midi drums and want the snare or hat up/down for the entire song.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-13-2015, 04:14 PM

Also, one very simple but powerful feature is MIDI Real Time Properties.
Right-click on the instrument track's name to pull up its window.
There you can, among other things, set minimum velocity, maximum, range, so on. And pitch and all the other stuff. But it affects the whole track, like a plugin in a way. Doing it selectively to regions involves changing track view and writing automation.