Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Default Bounce to session (record mix on a track) dither question.

So if you record your final mix in a 24 bit session on a new track (instead of using bounce to disc) and then export region as file. How do you apply dither and what happens?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xim...o-program_tech

Here is a video of Kenny showing how he does his bouncing. Any info would be great as i'm kinda confused on how to get your mix from 24bit to 16bit like this.

Josh
Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Avid

Default Re: Bounce to session (record mix on a track) dither question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken81 View Post
So if you record your final mix in a 24 bit session on a new track (instead of using bounce to disc) and then export region as file. How do you apply dither and what happens?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xim...o-program_tech

Here is a video of Kenny showing how he does his bouncing. Any info would be great as i'm kinda confused on how to get your mix from 24bit to 16bit like this.

Josh

Regions are called clips since Pro Tools 10.
When you export clips to a lower bit depth, Dither (with or without Noise Shaping) is applied according to a table you will find in the reference guide on page 346.

And fwiw , Dither is also applied when importing files - if applicable of course
Old 11-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Bounce to session (record mix on a track) dither question.

I have a follow up question, is this still the case?? //Alex

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...es/pt_0610.htm

I cite:

"Talking of dither, here’s another tip for you. If you are going to bounce your mix onto another track (see my article on this in the July 2008 issue of Sound On Sound: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...kshop_0708.htm) and you plan to export the bounced file as a 16-bit file ready for CD mastering, don’t apply dither in your final plug-in chain, as Pro Tools will automatically dither the exported file without asking. If you add a dither plug-in or use the dither feature of your favourite mastering limiter, all you are doing is adding another unnecessary layer of low-level noise (which is all that dither is). It’s a shame that you have no control over what sort of dithering and noise-shaping Digidesign are adding for you at the export stage. Digidesign (or should I say Avid now?), can you please make this dither an option in the ‘Export Selected As Files’ window?"