Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:20 PM

Default french fries?

Just got back from Cannes.

So Michael Moore won the Palm D'Or. Well...

Fact is, the other films weren't up to much anyway. And I have my own theory which is that they'd got so sick of the guest judge Quentin "violence is cool" Tarantino (yes he really said that) that they all voted for Moore just to piss him off.

I also noticed a curious change in the restaurants since the last time I was there. A few years ago if I asked for french fries or chips, I would be politely told that they were really called 'pommes frites' - the idea that greasy fried potatos were somehow associated with the French was regarded as insulting to their cuisine.

But this time when I said 'pommes frites', the waiters would say "of course you mean french fries." I was baffled by this. Until someone explained to me that they had actually been renamed elsewhere. I'd heard of this, but I thought all of that was a joke...

So what are they called in Canada; "we're not getting involved in this fiasco potatos"?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: french fries?

That sounds like a lot of fun to attend that.

Personally, I hate Michael Moore, and as of lately Ive noticed the self-absorbtion of Mr. Tarantino(I mean, did people REALLY like Kill Bill? Or were they just approving because it was a Tarantino flic? )..

Anyway, nice to have you back, and that sounds really fun.

=-Ben
Old 05-26-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So what are they called in Canada; "we're not getting involved in this fiasco potatos"?

In Quebec, we call them Frites, or Patates Frites. Of course, if you drench them in sauce and drop cheese curds on them, now you've got Poutine.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 05-26-2004, 02:01 PM

I've worked with Michael (on TV Nation) and he really is the nicest guy. Very committed to his ideals and I hope he gets distribution for his film. At the time he couldn't believe that NBC had given him a TV show!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:10 PM

Thank you Ben. I'm genuinely touched.

Yes, huge fun. Expensive though - the hotels have a special 'festival' rate. But worth it. Lots of new contacts (but I'm too long in the tooth to think I've got the next project in the bag so easily - though a Hungarian friend managed to secure a cool 3 million dollars!!! That's a lot of money over there.)

Anyway I've found that many of my long term friendships are with people I've met at events like these - even friends that live in London. It's strangely bonding.

And if you think the films that make it to your local screens are generally crap, you should see the ones that don't get that far. Such a pile of dross.

Actually, I hardly ever go to the cinema now - with my new 32" widescreen TV and Dolby 5.1 I've now become a DVD junkie. I never could stand some jerk eating popcorn all the way through the first half hour (why do they sell popcorn anyway???)

Just watched Romero's original Dawn of the Dead. Brilliant film! Daisy and I are doing a season of zombie movies. Next it's 28 Days Later, followed by Shawn of the Dead.

I'm getting carried away here...
Old 05-26-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:

So what are they called in Canada;
'Fries' as in "do ya want fries with that"

Old 05-26-2004, 02:14 PM

Moore was making a big thing of the fact that he's got distribution everywhere except the US...

The French had a loop of the interview playing on a huge screen in the street.

Maybe after the election...

I like Moore for the fact that he has ideals. All too rare these days.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:22 PM

Im not going to draw the attention away from this threads topic, but I just couldnt stand some of the things he did in Bowling for Columbine. I thought the whole petition against K-Mart(or was it Walmart?) for selling bullets, and transferring the responsibility of that kid getting shot to the stores fault really displayed to me the kind of ideals he stands for, and I really didnt like that. I did enjoy(enjoy just seems like the wrong word, should I say "find intriguing?") Bowling for Columbine though, just not the man behind it.

Sorry for the thread interruption Karel.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:31 PM

Am I really likely to complain? (Anyway, is this a thread about french fries?)

Yeah, sure he manipulates his stories (like no-one else does?) but he makes you think and gets people talking. I reckon that's worth bending the truth for. I think few people genuinely take his stuff completely at face value. At least, I hope not!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:32 PM

Hello Karel,

Quote:
though a Hungarian friend managed to secure a cool 3 million dollars!!! That's a lot of money over there.)

>over here too...As I'm also Hungarian, please tell your friend to send some of that $$$ over...

and BTW; it's called " Potatoes a la Cardiac"..

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Closed Thread