Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-31-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Anyone got TDM cards be recognized by Mac OS Sierra ?

okay ... we know PT10 is not supported officially by OS X operating systems newer than Mountain Lion and my intention is not to get PT10 working properly on Sierra. The greyed out menu bug alone is an absolut workflow-killer and there are many other issues as well.

I have a dual boot system. One partition with Sierra on it (for working with Logic f.e.), one partition with Mavericks which I boot if I have to work with PT. I still working primarily with a PT10HD Accel 3 system on Mavericks (though I own PT12HD, but don´t use it very much), but it would be nice to get the TDM cards working with PT10 on Sierra, only to make for smaller edits, playback check and so on.

Problem is, the cards are not recognized by Mac OS Sierra. DigiTest didn´t see them at all, too. So I´m curious if there´s anyone who´s got the cards recognized and can run PT10 in TDM mode.

Thanks in advance...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Anyone got TDM cards be recognized by Mac OS Sierra ?

Not going to work, that simple, sorry.....I also tried hard....

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM

thanks Barry for your feedback - that´s what I was afraid of ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 AM

Any news on this one?
I find it hard to believe an os x update can just make some pcie cards disappear. It must be some plist lines to tell the os x to make them disappear meaning if so it should be possible to edit the lines...
For 10 years we have been told you cant add thunderbolt ports to mac pro 5.1, now you can :) so of course it should be possible to make tdm cards visible on sierra. Thats my opinion.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
For 10 years we have been told you cant add thunderbolt ports to mac pro 5.1, now you can :) so of course it should be possible to make tdm cards visible on sierra. Thats my opinion.
Those are two opposite directions; first of all, "for 10 years" there have not been a firmware/software available for cheesegraters to have TB, now that software has been done and the hardware can be seen by the operating system. Second, the TDM driver is old and last officially compatible with 10.8 so whatever Apple decides to change may compromise that driver later.

Opinions do not matter here, it is the software that rules hardware. And if software driver is incompatible with the operating system, the driver would have to be re-coded which Avid will not do.

End of story.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:29 AM

I edited the ProTools 10.3.10 installer file and installed it on Mojave 10.14.5
Protools won't launch but latest version of Logic Pro 10.4.6 and Mainstage
work great with my HD core card in Native core audio mode
latest version of GarageBand did not work however!

The systems Sound Control panel shows the card in the list but system sound alerts and apps like iTunes that have no audio device output options make no sound.

I dual boot with Mavericks 10.9.5 to use Protools TDM and then Mojave 10.14.5
for Logic Pro. Not bad for 15 year old Hardware

RG

Last edited by RGrierson; 08-01-2019 at 03:56 AM.