Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-23-2002, 01:49 AM

Default Re: $500 for Mic Pre

CD's

Thanks for the reply. Again, I have only heard good things about the Grace 101. I noticed you had 2 RNC's, I only hear good things about that piece too. What are your thoughts on it? Do you run the 101 through the RNCs and then into 001? And into the 001 do you patch into the 101 pres or into the back? A friend of mine - who lives far away so I cannot hear it - has the Aphex 107 and RNC's - he loves it. Now you are saying with the 101 it only gets better that with the 107 eh? You know a 101 and a RNC side by side would be nice inmy rack, but now I am up to almost $800 which is about $300 over budget. But I would have close to a gold channel that I was hoping for. I will have to see if I can sell something.

thanks again for your posts.

Richard
Old 02-23-2002, 01:36 PM

Richard,

I'm glad to be of help. The chain I would use would be microphone into 101, then out from 101 into an RNC, then out from RNC into ProTools. I tried this for vocals and it sounded very very nice. But on the last stuff I tracked I just went through the Grace, straight into ProTools. I was recording acoustic and electric guitar, and did not want any compression going down "to tape". Oh yeah, the reason I got 2 RNC's is because while they are stereo, they are not independent channel compressors, so the same setting applies to both channels. Having 2 lets me dial in different settings for each channel, if i am recording two tracks at once. Also, I'm able to run them in series, if needed, for mastering tricks, etc. At $175 as pop, I figured two were affordable--no regrets on that purchase.

I understand the over budget thing--isn't that how it goes? But as far as my limited knowledge goes about this stuff, you're right: you would indeed have a gold channel. That was my conclusion as soon as I heard what the Grace/RNC combination was doing for my tracking. The thing is--and I'm sure other's would disagree--you buy the Grace once, and you don't need to look at upgrading again, unless you desire some sort of "flavored" sound, like a nice Tube pre or a JoeMeek or something. Buy once, be done--record, be delighted. Seems like that's possible for a lot less nowadays then just a few years ago, for under $1k, if you can find little gems like the RNC and the Grace.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:39 PM

Anyone know anything about the hhB Radius 40. I need a pre ampt to do voice overs. A few recommended the Radius 10. The 40 comes with compressor etc, and I was wondering if anyone uses it and how well it might be suited to do strictly voice-over narration tracks.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:27 PM

"But I think I would prefer the cleanest sound going in, as then I have Waves Native Power Pack and other pluggins to color the sound, does that make sense?"

I would say that its nearly impossible to recreate good preamp tone/color with a plugin. Just isn't the same.

But if you're looking for a generally clean/pristine sound, say for folk, acoustic, classical or a modern clean sounding jazz, then the grace is a good choice.

If you're looking for more of a warm, rich, complex tone, then Id look at something else.

Of course, if you have gear addiction like the rest of us, it doesnt really matter, you'll buy something new soon!

D
Old 02-23-2002, 06:00 PM

I love my Presonus Mp20. You might want to contact presonus though, I heard the might be releasing a 2 channel version of the digimax, it would probably be around $500 and give you limiters and better convertors.

Jason
Old 02-24-2002, 03:23 PM

The Mic pres the "Where" recommends are OK. Not really big sounding, but OK for the money. (We used to use them in our Studio B room) But more importantly they do not sound good with a NT1000 mic. They do sound OK with a AT 4033.

By the way, I believe "Astroex" responded by saying something about a Peavey VMP-2 pre-amp. For the money, (I believe around 700.00) this is probably the warmest, fattest sounding pre-amp for the money. Happened to be tracking in a studio that had an old Neve console and old Neve pre's, just happened to have a VMP-2 also. Tried running kick and snare through it, and then we ran kick and snare through Neve. Peavey was fatter and warmer. Kick & Snare was maple. We also now have a few of these mic pres and I happened to talk to one of my friends who work at the Sound Kitchen in Franklin, TN and told him about it and he said . . . "Ah yes. . . the secret's out"

Some friend . . . . . [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]