Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Default Re: PT12 and advertised features

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hi ShiftStudios,

Let me see what I can do to help you with your concern. Let me create a case for your concern and will forward it to the right department.

Best Regards,

YD
Thanks DigiTechSupt, I appreciate it.

Actually until the day of release of 12, it was on the page for Pro Tools that 12 had Cloud Collaboration and Track Freeze. Regardless, it was always understood that 12 would get this, and time-frame would not matter except in Australia, by law I am required to get the advertised features, which I may not if my support expires before they get released.

Regardless of what your "opinion" is on the subject, these features were advertised as part of 12, and they cannot sell a product on proposed features and then not deliver, that is illegal here. Not only would I get a refund, but they would be fined for false and misleading advertising. Opinions have nothing to do with it, it's black and white in our book. If they say, oops, we're not going to have it by December, but we'll make sure that everyone is on 12 gets it regardless, then they would probably get away with it, as long as they delivered on their advertised features.

Here's a case from a few years back about perception vs. intention when it comes to marketing in Australia:

http://www.griffithhack.com.au/media...dvertisingcase

Think about this, while you might think that those chickens were "free to roam" because they were in barns or sheds, someone did not, and that someone cost that company $100,000AUD. It's all about perception here. So this is why I am saying AVID need to tread carefully. My perception is that I was going to get Cloud Collaboration, and Track Freeze. As per their advertised feature set of 12 before release (until they released 12 and then changed those things to "coming soon"). Their intention is irrelevant, my perception was that I was going to get them. If $6 eggs are worth $100,000, imagine how much $1000 software is worth as a fine?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Also one other case against a software company here:

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...epresentations

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/06/the...against-valve/

So as you can see, they take sales and advertising of goods "software" very seriously here in Australia. I really doubt AVID want's to end up in a legal battle with the ACCC...
Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Yes, they said it. Not in the initial release but that they will come in 2015,
they said "upgrade now and get the new features coming in 2015..."
those features are track freeze, collaboration, and more (as they said)
and actually those were for buying 11 not even 12!!!
well lets hope they arrive before 2015 is over...
Those features were never announced for PT11 if that's what you're intimating. There's another 4 1/2 months until the end of 2015.

QAPLA!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Those features were never announced for PT11 if that's what you're intimating. There's another 4 1/2 months until the end of 2015.
Mate, there's ONLY 4 1/2 months left. Have you had an update on expected release of advertised features? I havent.

I suggest you read the content at the links I provided. You're just here to stir the pot and prevent people from getting answers. You're honestly part of the problem and reason I stopped coming here.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
When each version of any software comes out, there is a long list of features in that release. Everyone knew what was in and not in 12/12.1 before buying. Anyone that buys anything based on promised features to come in the future...
Clearly not online before the actual release when they advertised it as part of 12 then hey? Seriously, I live in a country where I am entitled to these answers, or a refund, and possibly a fine AVID's way. I'd like my answers, if you don't, then piss off and stay out of the conversation. I'm really sick of threads getting hijacked by people who are just here to call others stupid, it's beyond a joke.

I'm entitled to know when I can expect said features, and if you don't care, then piss off and stop commenting. This goes for everyone on this thread who thinks "Hey, this is a discussion thread to call people who want answers stupid for buying 12." No it's not, I'm asking AVID, not you, so thanks, but no thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
Mate, there's ONLY 4 1/2 months left. Have you had an update on expected release of advertised features? I havent.

I suggest you read the content at the links I provided. You're just here to stir the pot and prevent people from getting answers. You're honestly part of the problem and reason I stopped coming here.
I don't prevent anyone from getting answers. So I stir the pot - no big deal and if I'm the reason you stopped coming here then that's not my problem either if you let one person ruin your day. There's an ignore list - I'd suggest you make use of it if you don't like what I write. I'm as honest as the day is long. I mean what I say and say what I mean.

QAPLA!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I don't prevent anyone from getting answers. So I stir the pot - no big deal and if I'm the reason you stopped coming here then that's not my problem either if you let one person ruin your day. There's an ignore list - I'd suggest you make use of it if you don't like what I write. I'm as honest as the day is long. I mean what I say and say what I mean.
You're not honest, you're a rude opinionated jerk.

Honest would imply what you're saying is true, and it's simply not.

If you're happy being a jerk, good for you, but I will call you out on it.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
The case you cite only holds in Germany and it was 15 years ago; times change and even that article said they didn't really know what would happen with other countries. And companies have gotten a lot better in the intervening years on writing their EULA's.

Like I said originally - good luck getting a refund back from Avid. I'm the last one to defend Avid but have to give them their due - they never said these features would be in the initial release of what was called at the time the next version of PT. Companies have changed over the years with their s/w development into what's called agile development which allows drips and dribbles of features being implemented. Would it have been great to have everything available and working on day one? Hell yes!

People that jumped in early on the upgrade bandwagon have no one to blame but themselves. .zero releases are never really stable plus Avid gave until the end of 2015 to sign up for the upgrade. Some people like to live on the bleeding edge but those that do are bound to be cut by that edge. Not me.
And if you need proof that you're wrong here.

They did imply these features would be in 12 on release, and in Australia, that's legally binding. Zero releases also are very often stable, I know, I'm a programmer, I have been programming for almost thirty years. So again, you're wrong. Stop being a jerk and go find something else to do with your day.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Okay everyone, let's calm down. Shift got an answer from Support and there is no reason for personal shots. This thread will be locked if this continues.

System Details
Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Cloud collaboration was announced at NAB, in April of 2014. Coming soon. Initially it was advertised as part of PT12, which was announced Jan 2015, and released end of March 2015, but prior to that subscriptions were sold last fall (don't know the date) with the promise they would include PT12, and by extension, the cloud collaboration feature.

I'm no lawyer, but I would think there is a strong case that the Australian legal requirements will have not been met by fall of 2015, (a year after upgrades were being sold) which is coming up soon. If not then, certainly by the one-year anniversary of the PT 12 announcement.

Quote: