Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Adding Plugins to a Track Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderMoser View Post
Uhh...if I understand that correctly, you are making a lot of extra work for yourself and using a lot of extra tracks. Please explain further so we can be of more help.

...Unless you are talking about creating aux tracks and using automation to send parts of the vocal track to aux tracks with different time-based effects on them. That's the proper way to do it.
I also would like to know how to do this. I have a reel to reel that is 3 hours long. its Disco music and I have applied and processed the track and it sounds great. Now here is the challenge. Near the end of the Mix the DJ plays a very slow (last few tracks) and there is a noticeable tape hiss.

I can eliminate the tape hiss completely by using Waves Z-Noise plugin but this makes the rest of the track sound very compressed. I only want to apply the Z-Noise plugin to the last 3 tracks that have the tape hiss not the entire track.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Ti
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz PC4-25600 CL16 1.35V Quad Channel Kit
ASUS Expansion Card for Z170 & X99 Motherboards ThunderboltEX 3
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and UAD Apollo 8 QUAD
Pure 2 Mastering AD/DA Converter & Clock
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbandes View Post
I also would like to know how to do this. I have a reel to reel that is 3 hours long. its Disco music and I have applied and processed the track and it sounds great. Now here is the challenge. Near the end of the Mix the DJ plays a very slow (last few tracks) and there is a noticeable tape hiss.

I can eliminate the tape hiss completely by using Waves Z-Noise plugin but this makes the rest of the track sound very compressed. I only want to apply the Z-Noise plugin to the last 3 tracks that have the tape hiss not the entire track.
Make a separation just before the noise starts and then use Z-Noise as an AudioSuite plugin for that section only. Or automate the enable for the plugin at the point just before the noise starts. That's just a couple of ways to get the job done.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Make a separation just before the noise starts and then use Z-Noise as an AudioSuite plugin for that section only. Or automate the enable for the plugin at the point just before the noise starts. That's just a couple of ways to get the job done.
Thank you so much. I need to learn the AudioSuite function of Pro Tools. For now I bounced the track as a 24 bit WAV file and imported it into SoundForge Pro 11 and used the Z-Noise plugin on only the part of the WAV that had the Hiss and it worked. I obtained my result but of course learning how to do it all in Pro Tools would be preferred. Many thanks for all the help and support from this group. I am learning quickly and appreciate all of the support from this community.

Regards, James
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. I need to learn the AudioSuite function of Pro Tools. For now I bounced the track as a 24 bit WAV file and imported it into SoundForge Pro 11 and used the Z-Noise plugin on only the part of the WAV that had the Hiss and it worked. I obtained my result but of course learning how to do it all in Pro Tools would be preferred. Many thanks for all the help and support from this group. I am learning quickly and appreciate all of the support from this community.

Regards, James
Glad you got it fixed in Soundforge - I loved that program when I had a WinXP box and ran Sonar as my daw. I had SF9. Since you're on Windows have you done any CD burning with CD Architect? That was a good program back in the day.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed in Soundforge - I loved that program when I had a WinXP box and ran Sonar as my daw. I had SF9. Since you're on Windows have you done any CD burning with CD Architect? That was a good program back in the day.
Yes musicman I have used them both extensively. Both great programs. I have been an ableton live user for many years and was always intimidated by Pro Tools but now I have become a huge fan of Pro Tools. In ableton if I tried to record these Reel to Reels that are 3 and some 6 hours long I would hit the 4 GB limit on the size of a WAV file and it would crash.

Pro Tools does some magic behind the scene and breaks the files up on the backend so it does not crash even when I record a 6 hours Reel to Reel (truly amazing) I then bounce the entire thing to WAV and MP3 with no problems.

The only problem I have with Pro Tools is that its addictive and I am spending a fortune. New Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors. A subscription to the Slate Total Bundle. I new Focusrite 4PRE thunderbolt DAC and now I purchased a UAD Satellite 2 USB DSP system so I can use the UAD plugins. I need to slow down now and give my credit card a rest.
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Yes musicman I have used them both extensively. Both great programs. I have been an ableton live user for many years and was always intimidated by Pro Tools but now I have become a huge fan of Pro Tools. In ableton if I tried to record these Reel to Reels that are 3 and some 6 hours long I would hit the 4 GB limit on the size of a WAV file and it would crash.

Pro Tools does some magic behind the scene and breaks the files up on the backend so it does not crash even when I record a 6 hours Reel to Reel (truly amazing) I then bounce the entire thing to WAV and MP3 with no problems.

The only problem I have with Pro Tools is that its addictive and I am spending a fortune. New Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors. A subscription to the Slate Total Bundle. I new Focusrite 4PRE thunderbolt DAC and now I purchased a UAD Satellite 2 USB DSP system so I can use the UAD plugins. I need to slow down now and give my credit card a rest.
Welcome to the wonderful world of G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndome

Here's a hint to save money on plugins - wait for sales. Right now Waves is having a drastic price reduction on most all of their s/w; they also have price breaks on purchases of multiple plugins at one time. Coming up is the 4th of July OS holiday and there's bound top be good deals. Audio Deluxe is a good place to look for savings - you have to be a member but that's free. IK Multimedia is having a group buy - I think they're up to buy one get four free of equal or lower value of the first plugin. I think of all the s/w I have on my current system I've only paid full price for two plugins - my first one from Blue Cat and IQ-EQ from HOFA (HOFA stuff never goes on sale).

3 and 6 hours on a single reel to reel - must be 1 7/8 ips Are these the ones you were talking about in a previous thread? Something just hit me - if you ever have to clean the capstan roller be careful of what you use - I once had one disintegrate because I used some chemical that attacked the rubber.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndome

Here's a hint to save money on plugins - wait for sales. Right now Waves is having a drastic price reduction on most all of their s/w; they also have price breaks on purchases of multiple plugins at one time. Coming up is the 4th of July OS holiday and there's bound top be good deals. Audio Deluxe is a good place to look for savings - you have to be a member but that's free. IK Multimedia is having a group buy - I think they're up to buy one get four free of equal or lower value of the first plugin. I think of all the s/w I have on my current system I've only paid full price for two plugins - my first one from Blue Cat and IQ-EQ from HOFA (HOFA stuff never goes on sale).

3 and 6 hours on a single reel to reel - must be 1 7/8 ips Are these the ones you were talking about in a previous thread? Something just hit me - if you ever have to clean the capstan roller be careful of what you use - I once had one disintegrate because I used some chemical that attacked the rubber.
Thank you for all of this great advise. I have Blue Cat and I love it. Have to check out the IQ-EQ HOFA stuff.

Yes you are very wise, the best chemical to clean tape heads is called S-721H it cleans the heads but does not dry out the rubber parts. As you say that can be a disaster.

The Reel to Reel unit is a beauty it was a factory service and restored Revox B77. I love it. The speed of a 6 Hour tape is 3 3/4 IPS.

I am fascinated by the Manley Massive Passive EQ. They say that the UAD plugin is very close to the analogue hardware but the plugin is expensive. Normally $299 but on sale for $149 so I may grab it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8676.jpg (58.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8675.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all of this great advise. I have Blue Cat and I love it. Have to check out the IQ-EQ HOFA stuff.

Yes you are very wise, the best chemical to clean tape heads is called S-721H it cleans the heads but does not dry out the rubber parts. As you say that can be a disaster.

The Reel to Reel unit is a beauty it was a factory service and restored Revox B77. I love it. The speed of a 6 Hour tape is 3 3/4 IPS.

I am fascinated by the Manley Massive Passive EQ. They say that the UAD plugin is very close to the analogue hardware but the plugin is expensive. Normally $299 but on sale for $149 so I may grab it.
That's a nice machine - you are serious about this and that's good. I hadn't figured on a 10 1/2 inch reel deck.

I've read a couple of reviews on the UAD Massive Passive and in one where the reviewer had experience with the hardware version said it's very close with the only variance being levels when trying to set both the h/w & s/w to the same control positions. Other than that he had to wrap his mind around the thing of the plugin not acting like the usual eq plugin. I don't have the UAD ecosystem but have used NI's version. It's okay but not something I use on a regular basis although I might given I'm getting more cozy with M/S work. NI has a combo of the Massive Passive, their take on the Vari-MU and an EQP1A for $199 - all done by Softube.

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
That's a nice machine - you are serious about this and that's good. I hadn't figured on a 10 1/2 inch reel deck.

I've read a couple of reviews on the UAD Massive Passive and in one where the reviewer had experience with the hardware version said it's very close with the only variance being levels when trying to set both the h/w & s/w to the same control positions. Other than that he had to wrap his mind around the thing of the plugin not acting like the usual eq plugin. I don't have the UAD ecosystem but have used NI's version. It's okay but not something I use on a regular basis although I might given I'm getting more cozy with M/S work. NI has a combo of the Massive Passive, their take on the Vari-MU and an EQP1A for $199 - all done by Softube.
Wow ! I did not know that someone else sold one. When you say NI do you mean Native Instruments ?
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-12-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Wow ! I did not know that someone else sold one. When you say NI do you mean Native Instruments ?
I have NI Komplete Ultimate (grin). I think I probably have these ! Thanks I need to see how they sound
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD