Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Recording with FastTrack Pro

Hi. So I'm relatively new to this. I'm learning how to use pro tools in college right now and I'm only a semester in and all we have worked with is midi. I have that down but now that I could actually get the program and start using it I don't use midi except for EZDrummer.

I've used fruity loops for the past 3 years and it's worked great but if I'm learning everything on PT I want to be using PT.

So it's usually just EZdrummer, a few guitars, and bass. My only problem is I don't know how to record audio with what I have. Now let me try to break this down as simply as possible..

PODHD500 >Stereo 1/4 in> Front M-audio fast track pro>USB> Laptop with ProTools 10

I've made some headway but is there a tutorial or something to help me get it set up? I've downloaded the driver and I don't want to get into "i've done this.. I've done that" So from step one how should this be set up?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Recording with FastTrack Pro

Have you installed Pro Tools?

Have you also installed the MIDI and hardware drivers you need?
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411

Have you registered with Ilok.com and do you have an Ilok? Did you download your license (I assume you bought one) from Ilok.com to your Ilok?

Once Pro Tools is installed with the drivers you need and have your Ilok with license on it plugged in, and your fast track usb device. Launch pro tools and hold down the "N" key until the "Playback Engine Window" pops up

http://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/hu...ack_Engine.png
At the top of this image where it says built in output, you will click and select fast track Pro to be your playback engine. This should automatically load the I/O based on the hardwares internal settings.

Now plug in a microphone and make an audio track. Select the #1 input from your interface in the track input select

(The arrow points to how you can show more or less info on each track, say you dont see the I/O part of the track, click there and select i/o and now you will see it like it is in this image)
http://blog.reddogmusic.co.uk/wp-con...Track-View.jpg

I would now make a Master fader (you dont have to to send signal out though) and now you have setup an input track, selected the input, and made a master output track.

There are lots of how to types of vids on youtube and vimeo... One of my favorites to follow is Pro Tools Expert, who tests all kinds of new software like plugs and features, shows how they are used (in most cases), etc. The other guys is your basically just starting out are these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msuj4zuZNlA

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM

OK I've gotten to this point where I can hear it before. but I have two problems.

1 It will only play through the output jack and I need it to play through the headphones.

2 I hear it all the time and when I hit monitor or record I can hear both and it sounds horrible.

I think this is actually the last thing unless it does something weird. Thanks man!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Sounds like you are monitoring direct through the fast track (Its sending the signal to your headphones before it goes into pro tools).

Try this, if you can hear your microphone input already (or DI or instrument input, whatever your plugging into the fast track). When you record in pro tools, mute your recording track. This should now have only the input coming into your headphones and any track you are playing back in pro tools should be able to be heard as well.

I dont think there is a control menu to change the direct input monitoring on the fast track to the headphones. I have an old one and when I use it I can slightly hear the direct input in my headphones and even on the main output. Since I track in headphones when I use this interface it isnt an issue but ideally being able to control the interfaces internal bussing/mixing would be the solution.

If you have newer Fast track it has a "MIX" knob on it to adjust the amount of input direct from input you hear versus how much you hear from playback (pro tools output). Mine does not have this since its older in model. If you have that knob you can adjust the level of playback from Pro Tools versus your input or just unmute the track in pro tools and listen to it coming out of pro tools instead of from the input on the interface. Thats what this MIX knob does.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Look at #9 on this:

http://jac.michaeldrolet.net/maudio/FTP.htm