Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Looking to purchase New Mac for pro tools, help!

Hey All,

I tried looking for this topic but couldn't find it anywhere.
so Currently I'm running a Late 2011 macbook pro.
500GB storage and 4GB of memory.

Most of my sessions only contain about 20 tracks max!
but obviously due to the lack of memory, it's giving me problems and it's time for a new mac anyway.

I am on a budget, so I'm definitely trying to save money wherever I can. Unless, I have no choice. but that's why I'm here. for you to advise me.

My question is ...
I see that 16gb memory is now the least required? since when? I remember 8gb was.

Also, what about storage? The mac with the least storage has 128 GB of storage.
Would that work if I have an external LaCie drive (1TB) ? or should I go with 256gb?

In conclusion ..
Should I go with 8gb of ram or 16gb or ram?
and 128gb of storage since I have a LaCie external drive of 1TB, or should I just go with 256gb?

thanks again !!!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Looking to purchase New Mac for pro tools, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin2reck View Post
Hey All,

500GB storage and 4GB of memory.

Most of my sessions only contain about 20 tracks max!
but obviously due to the lack of memory, it's giving me problems and it's time for a new mac anyway.

I am on a budget, so I'm definitely trying to save money wherever I can. Unless, I have no choice. but that's why I'm here. for you to advise me.

My question is ...
I see that 16gb memory is now the least required? since when? I remember 8gb was.

Also, what about storage? The mac with the least storage has 128 GB of storage.
Would that work if I have an external LaCie drive (1TB) ? or should I go with 256gb?

In conclusion ..
Should I go with 8gb of ram or 16gb or ram?
and 128gb of storage since I have a LaCie external drive of 1TB, or should I just go with 256gb?

thanks again !!!
You can add your own ram to that MBP. 16 gig from OWC is $158. 8 gig is the minimum you'd want but as long as you're adding ram might as well go for 16 gig.

What do you mean by 'storage'? Are you talking about the system drive? If so you can always change out the one in your current MBP (you don't give us any ideas of what's in that machine and that would be helpful). Again OWC to the rescue with an SSD; cost depends on size you want.

What Mac are you looking at? Again that kind of info would be helpful as would bee budget. Ram is soldered in on current MBP's; not sure if system drives ar user changeable or not.

What I'm getting at is you may not need a new machine; the options I list would help you get a few more years out of your current one. A big thing to keep in mind is that all new Macs come with High Sierra and that has not been qualified for PT12. Don't expect that for a while if Avid history is any indication.

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Hey, strongly appreciate your response man.
By storage I mean hard drive space, but I have enough of that on my current, it just seems to be very slow lately.
I believe the most ram you can add to my current mbp is 8gb

The mbp I was looking at has :

Hardware
2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Backlit Keyboard - US English
Accessory Kit
Force Touch trackpad

Software
macOS Sierra
Photos, iMovie, GarageBand
Pages, Numbers, Keynote

and it's going for $1,743.03 with taxes included.

If the MacOS isn't compatible with PT, then that would def be a problem.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Hey All,

So are you into buying a new machine anyway or are you just looking for Pro Tools to work more fluently/better?

I´m just asking because you say you are on a budget and if you should have a 2011 MacBook Pro with an i7 Quad
Core processor the most affordable solution would be just to upgrade your Ram and maybe your internal drive to
any faster solution. Means, if your MBP has an I7 Quad Core processor you are ready for PT12 actually.

If however your Macbook only runs by an i5 or even smaller CPU you probably will have to get a new, more powerful
Macbook to get Pro Tools to work as it is supposed to.

As for the memory, you know, 8GB Ram have been the official minimum requirement but in real life it has turned out
that 16GB Ram are the adequate amount of memory for a fluently working Pro Tools system.

It´s just that even Native PT12 now uses disk cache (like only HD did in the past) and so 16GB Ram are just the right
starting point for a well working PT12 system nowadays. Simply from thousands of users´ experiences, you know?

So given your MBP has got an i7 Quad Core processor already you only will have to invest about 280 bucks and you will
be ready for PT12.
Memory
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Othe.../1333DDR3S16P/
SSD
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3D7E6G250/

You wrote about an external Lacie drive which certainly is working well as long it is a 7200rpm HDD connected via Firewire.
Any 5400rpm HDD or any drive connected via USB 2 would be not really compatible with Pro Tools in the long run.

If your 2011 MBP hasn’t got an i7 Quad Core processor you probably will need a newer, more powerful Mac.

The basic requirements for a useable Pro Tools machine will be an
i7 Quad Core processor
16GB Ram memory
an internal drive with at least 7200rpm (if just HDD) and 256GB storage space. No Fusion drives!
Further a second seperate drive for your Pro Tools sessions. Again 7200rpm HDD minimum. If external only via Firewire, USB 3
or Thunderbolt connection. No USB 2.

You at first may check out the exact model of your current MacBook Pro. Click on the Apple icon in the left upper corner, click
on About This Mac and finally click on System Report. Under About This Mac and in System Report you will find the exact data
of your MacBook Pro.

Then you can find detailed info about it there.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...acbookpro.html
(Scroll down to find your specific MacBook Pro model and click on it for further info)

If you should decide to go with a quite current MacBook Pro with one of those Apple Flash drives as an internal you could
consider getting an 512GB Flash drive and skip any seperate, external drive for Pro Tools. With those super fast Apple Flash
drives you can work with the internal only if you have not more than 20-25 tracks in particular.

If you are looking for a new machine and you are on a budget you even might check out the Apple Refurbished store.
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/ho...macbook_pro/15

Just mind to go with an i7 Quad Core processor and 16GB Ram at the least (and no Fusion drive).

The best of success to you,

VRW
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Apple officially set the limit to 8GB Ram but as you might read on

all of the 2011 MBP models can be upgraded to 16GB Ram with 3rd party Ram.

This should be no problem actually. It´s the type of processor which will be the key as for the use with Pro Tools.

Quote:
2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
256GB SSD storage
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Accessory Kit
Force Touch trackpad

Software
macOS Sierra
Pages, Numbers, Keynote

If, only go with tested by Avid i5 Dual Core processor machines. Basically those are not the best machines for Pro Tools 12.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

If you are on a budget it makes seven more sense to go with an older MBP model which at least got an i7 Quad Core processor.

I have had i5 MBPs and i7Quad MBPs myself with PT12. Believe me, I know what I´m talking about. You better get the i7 Quad.

Anyway. All the best to you.

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Hey, strongly appreciate your response man.
By storage I mean hard drive space, but I have enough of that on my current, it just seems to be very slow lately.

The mbp I was looking at has :

Hardware
256GB SSD storage
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Accessory Kit
Force Touch trackpad

Software
macOS Sierra
Pages, Numbers, Keynote

If the MacOS isn't compatible with PT, then that would def be a problem.
First off - is this a used machine? From the price I'd assume so. Where is it coming from - Apple refurb store? If so more likely than not it'll come with High Sierra which is NOT okayed for PT12. Also you haven't said what version of PT you currently have. If PT11 the last supported is Yosemite (OSX 10.10.5 for PT11.3.2).

Would you please give us complete specs of what you have now? You may be able to make do with what you've got with the upgrades I mentioned (which you can do yourself). You can never have too much disk space as ideally you don't want to use up more than 75-80% of a drive. Remember that all your programs and plugins (except for samples) will reside on that drive.

Almost forgot - any Mac with USB3 ports will have issues with your iLok; those have been known. The usual remedy is to use a powered USB hub between the computer & iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
So are you into buying a new machine anyway or are you just looking for Pro Tools to work more fluently/better?

I´m just asking because you say you are on a budget and if you should have a 2011 MacBook Pro with an i7 Quad
Core processor the most affordable solution would be just to upgrade your Ram and maybe your internal drive to
any faster solution. Means, if your MBP has an I7 Quad Core processor you are ready for PT12 actually.

If however your Macbook only runs by an i5 or even smaller CPU you probably will have to get a new, more powerful
Macbook to get Pro Tools to work as it is supposed to.

As for the memory, you know, 8GB Ram have been the official minimum requirement but in real life it has turned out
that 16GB Ram are the adequate amount of memory for a fluently working Pro Tools system.

It´s just that even Native PT12 now uses disk cache (like only HD did in the past) and so 16GB Ram are just the right
starting point for a well working PT12 system nowadays. Simply from thousands of users´ experiences, you know?

So given your MBP has got an i7 Quad Core processor already you only will have to invest about 280 bucks and you will
be ready for PT12.
Memory
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Othe.../1333DDR3S16P/
SSD
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3D7E6G250/

You wrote about an external Lacie drive which certainly is working well as long it is a 7200rpm HDD connected via Firewire.
Any 5400rpm HDD or any drive connected via USB 2 would be not really compatible with Pro Tools in the long run.

If your 2011 MBP hasn’t got an i7 Quad Core processor you probably will need a newer, more powerful Mac.

The basic requirements for a useable Pro Tools machine will be an
i7 Quad Core processor
16GB Ram memory
an internal drive with at least 7200rpm (if just HDD) and 256GB storage space. No Fusion drives!
Further a second seperate drive for your Pro Tools sessions. Again 7200rpm HDD minimum. If external only via Firewire, USB 3
or Thunderbolt connection. No USB 2.

You at first may check out the exact model of your current MacBook Pro. Click on the Apple icon in the left upper corner, click
on About This Mac and finally click on System Report. Under About This Mac and in System Report you will find the exact data
of your MacBook Pro.

Then you can find detailed info about it there.
(Scroll down to find your specific MacBook Pro model and click on it for further info)

If you should decide to go with a quite current MacBook Pro with one of those Apple Flash drives as an internal you could
consider getting an 512GB Flash drive and skip any seperate, external drive for Pro Tools. With those super fast Apple Flash
drives you can work with the internal only if you have not more than 20-25 tracks in particular.

If you are looking for a new machine and you are on a budget you even might check out the Apple Refurbished store.
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/ho...macbook_pro/15

Just mind to go with an i7 Quad Core processor and 16GB Ram at the least (and no Fusion drive).

The best of success to you,

VRW

Thanks a lot for all of the great info!! I appreciate your input.
my current mbp has the core i5 2.4GHz.
So I should def go with a i7? ok thanks.
going to look into it.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Yeah, Apple officially set the limit to 8GB Ram but as you might read on

all of the 2011 MBP models can be upgraded to 16GB Ram with 3rd party Ram.

This should be no problem actually. It´s the type of processor which will be the key as for the use with Pro Tools.

If, only go with tested by Avid i5 Dual Core processor machines. Basically those are not the best machines for Pro Tools 12.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

If you are on a budget it makes seven more sense to go with an older MBP model which at least got an i7 Quad Core processor.

I have had i5 MBPs and i7Quad MBPs myself with PT12. Believe me, I know what I´m talking about. You better get the i7 Quad.

Anyway. All the best to you.

Cheers.
gotcha, thanks a lot for your time and info.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First off - is this a used machine? From the price I'd assume so. Where is it coming from - Apple refurb store? If so more likely than not it'll come with High Sierra which is NOT okayed for PT12. Also you haven't said what version of PT you currently have. If PT11 the last supported is Yosemite (OSX 10.10.5 for PT11.3.2).

Would you please give us complete specs of what you have now? You may be able to make do with what you've got with the upgrades I mentioned (which you can do yourself). You can never have too much disk space as ideally you don't want to use up more than 75-80% of a drive. Remember that all your programs and plugins (except for samples) will reside on that drive.

Almost forgot - any Mac with USB3 ports will have issues with your iLok; those have been known. The usual remedy is to use a powered USB hub between the computer & iLok.

It is NOT a used machine.
It is a new machine with a discounted price for college students. ( I think it's only like $100 off original price )
it's directly from apple.com.

Here are my current specs:

Apple MacBook Pro 13"
2011 Core 15 2.4GHz
500GB HARD DRIVE
4GB RAM
Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It is NOT a used machine.
It is a new machine with a discounted price for college students. ( I think it's only like $100 off original price )
it's directly from apple.com.

Here are my current specs:

Apple MacBook Pro 13"
2011 Core 15 2.4GHz
500GB HARD DRIVE
4GB RAM
Thanks for the clarification. Still it's going to get to you with High Sierra on it and not Sierra. Given what your current machine has and the new one it's not that much of a jump in tech except for Thunderbolt 3 versus the original Thunderbolt you have now. If you really want to save some money put in 16 gig of ram for $158. Swap in a 500 gig ssd again from OWC for $225 to $260 depending on the exact drive in that nominal size. Total $418 plus maybe a bit extra for the tools from OWC and you've saved yourself about $1200 which is no small change for a student. Any reasonably adept person should be able to do the swap out - see the videos on the OWC site.

$1200 will buy a LOT of beer & pizza.

QAPLA!