Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-07-2005, 01:57 AM

Default voice lost in the music

I have a track i recorded in the field using the MidSide mic technique, which is giving me some problems...basically for this particular track there are two acoustic guitar players who are both singing as well. They really give it their all on this track but the lead vocal does get drowned out by the guitars - can anyone suggest tricks /techniques to help bring the vocal out a bit more?

thanks

adam
Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: voice lost in the music

well judging by the silence - there ain't no cures for this problem, except to do what we have done which is overdubb a new vocal track and add some delay to give a slightly chorused effect. Makes the crappy track a whole lot fuller sounding.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:48 PM

I had a similar situation with a violin solo against orchestra and choir with orchestra a while back.
This may or may not work and you may have to vary the technique but here is what I'd try.
Duplicate the track or bounct the stereo to a mono file and import.
Keep the original in place and use the new track for you voice.
high pass and bump in the 2.5-3.5k (presence) and 4-6k (sibilance).
I might use a multiband compressor C-4 or MC2000 to pull out the sweet spot(s) of the voice.
On your original track notch out an eq bed at the same frequences for the new "voice" track to settle into.
Check for phase or adc issues.

worth a shot
Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 AM

Thanks Rob, I did try something very similar but was finding the singers voice was in almost exactly the same register as the two acoustic guitars, so when i tried to boost any frequency i was always boosting the instruments more!

In the end we managed to get as much voice as possible by adjusting the various mono/stereo tracks in the M/S recording and eq'ing them in various ways, but it still sounded like he was just singing backing vocals. The only option was to overdubb him back in the studio, and the final effect worked better than i hoped.