Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2017, 02:43 PM

Default VEPro questions

Yes I know - yet another VEPro questions thread. I've done some searching and am a bit confused. Here they go:
If using VEPro on one computer you need their dongle - I get that. My confusion here is when using a master & slave computer setup. Do I need to install the VEPro s/w on the slave computer as well (I imagine I would)? The other question here is from what I've read the dongle now gets moved to the slave computer - right? Or do I need two dongles?

Other than having a server started on both machines do I need to do anything further on the slave except for maybe some network setup? Second question - if I insert a vi into the PT-hosted server do I control (like select patches, etc.) said vi from the master or slave? It seems like it would be controlled from the master but I want to be sure.

The reason I'm asking all this is my wife is pushing for me to get my iMac fixed (it apparently has a fried video card) to work alongside the mid 2012 MacPro I got to replace it. Space is a problem as I don't have the room to have them side-by-side but could have them facing 180 away from each other (back of iMac almost against the side of the cheesegrater). Don't necessarily want to get into screen sharing if I can help it.

QAPLA!
Old 10-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Default Re: VEPro questions

Two interesting (for you) parts to this answer.

1) You only need the dongle on the computer running the VEPro server, it is NOT needed on a computer only running a VEPro plugin {which you use to link to the VEPro server(s)}.

So you can run Pro Tools on one computer, AND instantiate the VEPro plugin, without a VEPro license present on that computer (it lives on an eLicenser dongle, not an iLok by the way).

You have the eLicenser dongle plugged in to the other computer, which you are running the VEPro server on.

2) But what if you want to run more than one VEPro server, say one on the same computer as Pro Tools, and another on your other computer? Well you would then need two eLicenser dongles, each with a VEPro on it, so both servers can see a license.

The good news is that when you buy VEPro they give you THREE licenses, so with one purchase you can run three VEPro servers on different computers. Potentially, of course, you could then be running Pro Tools, with VEPro plugins instantiated, on a fourth computer.

The only slight downside is that you only get one license for the Vienna Essentials library that comes with VEPro, so you have to run that on one server, while using the others for your other VI.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Two interesting (for you) parts to this answer.

1) You only need the dongle on the computer running the VEPro server, it is NOT needed on a computer only running a VEPro plugin {which you use to link to the VEPro server(s)}.

So you can run Pro Tools on one computer, AND instantiate the VEPro plugin, without a VEPro license present on that computer (it lives on an eLicenser dongle, not an iLok by the way).

You have the eLicenser dongle plugged in to the other computer, which you are running the VEPro server on.

2) But what if you want to run more than one VEPro server, say one on the same computer as Pro Tools, and another on your other computer? Well you would then need two eLicenser dongles, each with a VEPro on it, so both servers can see a license.

The good news is that when you buy VEPro they give you THREE licenses, so with one purchase you can run three VEPro servers on different computers. Potentially, of course, you could then be running Pro Tools, with VEPro plugins instantiated, on a fourth computer.

The only slight downside is that you only get one license for the Vienna Essentials library that comes with VEPro, so you have to run that on one server, while using the others for your other VI.
Thanks for the explanation as regards where the dongle is needed - a lot clearer than what I've found. I know about the dongle it needs; I find it strange that some s/w needs the physical piece and others can work with either that or the s/w elicenser.

Now to try and suss out the answers to the rest of my questions. I see that Groove 3 has both VEPro5 & VEPro6 courses; bummed that it's Eli Krantzberg's stuff as he leaves out things in his other videos that should really be in there. I also know that Russ from PTE has a video but you have to be a member of his site and I ain't going through that again.

QAPLA!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Russ from PTE has a video ....
Using Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 With Pro Tools 9, 10 and 11
Pro Tools Expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGP7-bxPJXU

I also really enjoyed the delightful enthusiasm in this video – it's a fine explanation:

Vienna Symphonic Library Ensemble Pro: Quick Start Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAB3sQ8-pU&app=desktop
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Using Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 With Pro Tools 9, 10 and 11
Pro Tools Expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGP7-bxPJXU

I also really enjoyed the delightful enthusiasm in this video – it's a fine explanation:

Vienna Symphonic Library Ensemble Pro: Quick Start Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAB3sQ8-pU&app=desktop
Thanks for the links; the second video makes up for Russ not showing how to work with two machines. I know he has a video on that specific subject but it's on the PTE site and you have to be a member to see it. Russ's video here is the first I've seen that deals with sending audio from PT into VEPro - there may be others but haven't found them.

QAPLA!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:53 AM

more videos:

Using Pro Tools with Vienna Ensemble Pro v5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZ_GwlHs2A

Vienna Ensemble PRO: Features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qSGSk7kPU

VIENNA ENSEMBLE PRO 5 Tutorial (Setup & Routing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoagnXH1a8

VIENNA ENSEMBLE PRO 5 Tutorial (Preserve & Decouple)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNEtytYRzRQ

VIENNA ENSEMBLE PRO 5: New Features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKvWy1zwe3g

VIENNA ENSEMBLE PRO 5 Tutorial (Introduction)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSPdYYhv7Y
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!