Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-06-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Should we all just Hackintosh while we can?

As someone who works on new Mac Pros at studios all the time:

If you think the answer to all your PT problems lies in the OS, you are very sadly mistaken.

On top of that, if you think the answer to your problems is installing OSX on hardware that doesn't directly support it, you are VERY VERY sadly mistaken.

Windows and PT have issues, but these only exist because Avid is apathetic to Windows users and puts way more time into Mac because that's where the industry leans.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:04 PM

In early 2019 I built a new PC for Pro Tools:

Gigabyte Z390 Designare
i9 9900K w/Noctua D15 cooler
64 Gb DDR 4
Crucial NVMe 1Tb boot drive
16Tb of assorted spinners
Gigabyte RX580 8Gb Video
Fractal Design case w/850W power supply

Originally I put Win 10 Pro on it and all was good for a minute until Windows did an update then all of a sudden my D-Command was no longer recognized. Did everything I could but nothing helped. I had tried to put macOS Mojave on this machine before with a separate 1Tb NVME drive but the motherboard was so new the install was flakey as hell. By the time Windows trashed my D-Command I decided to give OSX another go. The install guide and necessary kext/drivers needed were all good and I never looked back.

In testing with a 1KHz tone recorded I started enabling tracks in record with 10 CPU intensive plugins like Waves Abbey Road Plates & Chambers among others and made it all the way to 113 tracks in record before the playback of the 1KHz tone glitched. This was done with a 32 buffer on Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 using a HD Native Thunderbolt via an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter & Avid Omni. I also ran a Geekbench 4 test and Geekbench kicked it back as being faked, slightly over 30,000 on the score. Used it all day yesterday programming drums along with a rough mix on an existing session and never had an issue or warning all day. Solid as a rock!

It must be noted that I'm a long term Windows PC guy, like all the way back to Windows 3.1 and DOS 4 in the beginning. Never again! In addition to this rig I now have a 2008 Mac Pro 3.2GHz 8-core/32Gb with HD6 Accel and a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. I still build custom Windows gaming PCs for others but not for me.

A Hackintosh is a viable option for Pro Tools without a doubt, just look for successful install/build guides before buying components.

YMMV!

Below is the System Monitor capture from yesterday's session at a 64 buffer. Session is on an external 1Tb NVMe drive in a TB3 case which also has all my sample libraries on it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 2.58.51 PM.png (23.2 KB, 0 views)
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6

Last edited by Sugarnutz; 01-19-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-20-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
None of those statements would be true if I where to be using whatever the latest Mac OS is these days.

Every time Apple releases an OS upgrade, it's a storm of posts here wondering when Pro Tools will be supported and folks who upgraded too early complaining that nothing works.

Joel
And... why would that be? The question is rhetorical and doesn't warrant nor is looking for an answer, so I'll just post my opinion. I am in the middle of demos of several packages on Apple silicon. To me the Pro Tools updates are too slow, making it unviable an option as I do not want to be stuck in time, OS wise. I find it a shame that in returning to audio productions, returning to being a Pro Tools user seems to not be worth the effort when I need multiple tools to work on one computer.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:45 AM

Regardless of wanting a reply, I will anyway.

My (non-Avid) M-Audio interface continues to work on the latest version of Windows. It does not work on any new version of OSX or Mac OS. That is the point I was trying to make.

Yes, Pro Tools updates usually also delay support for a new Apple OS - hasn't been an issue for me on Windows. Which is the main topic of this thread - Windows vs Hack.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM