Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Magma P13r PCI expansion chassis questions

I have a magma p13r chassis that is missing the cable. It looks like the cable is a VHDCI scsi cable, but I'm not sure if the pinout would be the same or not. Does anyone know if these cables are wired straight through or if they are proprietary? Waiting or an answer from magma to see if they have the right cable available, but not sure if/when I will get a response.

I think this cable is the one I need:

http://magma.com/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=53

But the description doesn't really say what model it's for.

Also, the chassis came with both a PCI and a PCIe host card. I was always under the assumption that you couldn't use a PCIe host card with any 13 slot chassis... I did find some info in the digidesign archives saying you could use this chassis with a PCIe G5, but nothing about whether or not it will work with an intel mac pro.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up Re: Magma P13r PCI expansion chassis questions

The Magma VHDCI is an old and obsolete cable. The new cable is HIFI cable.
Both old and new cables are proprietay.

You can use this HIFI cable with PCI host interface card and PCIe (x1) host card.

Concerning your chassis, I highly recommend that you contact Magma Technical Support so they can verify if this this chassis is compatible with Mac G5 PCIe or not.

Older expansion units are not compatible with PPC G5 ( with PCIe) and also with MacBook Pro and MacPro Intel.

It would be wise, to save you from forthcoming headaches, if you submit an online support inquiry to Magma Technical Support, here is the URL:
URL: http://magma.nfpondemand.com/expansion.html

BTW: Make sure you provide them with the serial numbers of the Magma unit. They use this info for verifying the age of the chassis.

You can also check Magma's online forum for more discussions concerning this related matter, here is the URL:
http://expansionsystem.com/forum?sor...entDiscussions
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Magma P13r PCI expansion chassis questions

Thanks for responding XmenX

You clearly work for Magma at some level, based on your other posts and location, so hopefully you can help. I did send an email with serial numbers and info about all of the components in this chassis last week, but still have not received a reply... Are you able to check and see if this was replied to and for whatever reason never made it to my inbox?

I did find in the manual for this chassis that the cable is not wired the same as a typical VHDCI68 SCSI cable... but can not find any reference to whether or not the CBL1HF or CBL1.5HF cables in your store are the right cable for my chassis or not.

Are you saying that the connector is different between the HIFI and older VHDCI cables? The CBL1HF pictures appear to be the 68 pin VHDCI connector, in the specs it says "High Fidelity".... My chassis uses a VHDCI-68 connector. To be clear, this is a round cable, not the flat ribbon cable that was used on older chassis.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Magma P13r PCI expansion chassis questions

John,

The HIFI Cable is the newer version of VHDCI68 SCSI cable.
If your Expansion chassis uses a PCIHIF68 host interface card and a PCIEIF68 expansion interface card you definitely can use this new HIFI cable.

Wanted to share this video
http://youtu.be/UgjuOsTdCoE

In this video it shows the HIFI cable being used for different types of PCi Expansion Chassis units and Host Interface cards.

BTW:
I would not recommend sending an email when you need a technical support.
Best way is to utilize the Magma On-line Tecnical Support form
Here is the link:
http://magma.nfpondemand.com/expansion.html
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks XmenX,

When you say that the new HIFI cable will work with it, is there a benefit over the original cable? (Just curious, I'm going to have to buy a cable anyways since the original is MIA).

My chassis has the PCIEIF68 expansion interface card, with what I believe is the pericom chip.... (Has a chip near the top of the PCI slot bracket that has a P with a lightning bolt through it).

It came with 2 host interface cards, the PCIHF68 and also a PEHIFXI like the one in the video.

Once I get the HIFI cable, What are my options for computers that this chassis will work with? I've found a few posts saying the pericom chip is the key to PCIe and/or mac pro compatibility.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Thanks XmenX,

Once I get the HIFI cable, What are my options for computers that this chassis will work with? I've found a few posts saying the pericom chip is the key to PCIe and/or mac pro compatibility.
You need to check with Magma on this one. Older expansion chassis or units have the Dec Chip. Newer Expansion units have the Pericom Chip.
In your case you have a 13 slot chassis, the expansion interface card should have a Pericon chip and the 13slot backplane as well.

Here's a picture of what a Pericom Chip looks like, posted on Magma's Online Knowledgebase
http://magma.nfpondemand.com/MRcgi/M...CTID=2&MR=4076
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the pic.

Okay, the expansion interface card has a smaller chip with the Pericom logo, but not one with that many pins. The chip that is closest to that size says:

SB21150AC
L302EA06
INTEL MC1997

The 13 slot backplane also has one of these "intel" chips on it.

So I'm assuming that this is NOT going to work with a mac pro... how about other PCIe computers, like PCIe G5s or PC's? is the PEHIFXI host card that came with it compatible with this chassis at some level?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM

And I think this is my answer regarding PCie G5's:

http://magma.nfpondemand.com/MRcgi/M...T_FRAME_ONLY=0

Now just need to find out if if it's PC compatilble.