Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Question Is there anyway to raise just the surround level?

Hello,

Anyone know of a method for raising just the volume, in dB, of the surrounds in an existing Pro Tools 5.1 session? By this I mean just an increase of the level of the LS and the RS in the 5.1 Master output of a Pro Tools 8.0.1. session, so the bounced mix will have more gain in the surrounds.

Otherwise I will just have to adjust the individual surround panners f/s on the audio tracks and auxs so as to send more gain in the direction of the surrounds. While this may sound acceptable (moving from "70" to "50") it does not meet the request of "Bring the surrounds up six or nine dB".

Am I missing something in the routing architecture that allows this? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Is there anyway to raise just the surround level?

you could split the 5.1 mix in to mono tracks and then juss put the volume up for the LS and the RS....and then drag it back in to a 5.1 audio track...

Audio Engineer

www.melodika.com.tr
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Sounds like a good idea!

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM

Yes. Add a multi-mono "trim" to your surround master, then un-link and fine tune your outputs.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 AM

You can also do this on the master output with sub paths. In the IO setup, make a stereo sub path of the surround outputs, then put a master fader on it. No extra dsp, no additional delay, up to 12db of gain.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 AM

I´ve had nothing but trouble when automating un-linked multi-mono plugs. I tried this with the long delay plug to delay my surround signals on 5.0 atmos-tracks when desired but had nothing but trouble and unreliable automation playback doing this.

Maybe it was operator-error but I stopped doing this and rather sub-bus thw signal to do this in a less hidden manner.

Is this working for you guys well? I mean automating single channels in unlinked multi-mono-plugs?

Thanks,

frank.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
You can also do this on the master output with sub paths. In the IO setup, make a stereo sub path of the surround outputs, then put a master fader on it. No extra dsp, no additional delay, up to 12db of gain.
Thanks Postman!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Just make sure that if you need to put a plug-in on one of those mono master tracks you put the same plug-in (or equiv delay) on the rest of the mono master tracks, or Delay Comp won't work. Yes, a master track uses no DSP, which means it's not a mixer point, which means no delay can automatically be applied to it. It WILL "transmit" delay information - it just can't receive it.

dc
Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Frank,

Yes, PT 7 & 8 You can automated unlinked channels of a plug in. Though I think that some plugs seem to do this better than others.

Last edited by Tstein; 09-30-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Left out some details