Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Default Vocal Track is clipping at -20db

Recently, I switched interfaces from my Scarlet 2i2 to a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD. Now, every time I record a dynamic vocal, I find that the track sounds like its clipping very badly during the loud parts but none of my meters show that it is anywhere near clipping. The meters show that the track is peaking at about -20db. I find myself using very drastic automation to turn down the track but this leaves the loud parts sounding horribly lifeless. This is very frustrating because nearly all of my vocals are dynamic so it makes it impossible to record. I reset my preferences to make sure it didn't have to do with metering prefs, it did not fix anything. Does this have anything to do with the interface?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Vocal Track is clipping at -20db

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngbarrett00 View Post
Recently, I switched interfaces from my Scarlet 2i2 to a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD. Now, every time I record a dynamic vocal, I find that the track sounds like its clipping very badly during the loud parts but none of my meters show that it is anywhere near clipping. The meters show that the track is peaking at about -20db. I find myself using very drastic automation to turn down the track but this leaves the loud parts sounding horribly lifeless. This is very frustrating because nearly all of my vocals are dynamic so it makes it impossible to record. I reset my preferences to make sure it didn't have to do with metering prefs, it did not fix anything. Does this have anything to do with the interface?
Hi welcome to DUC, we need clearer info to really help you.

None of your meters... what exact meters are you looking at? We can't guess. Pro Tools meters? What type of Pro Tools meters, with what settings?

-20dB what? I assume you mean -20 dbFS?

Is the input clip indicator on the interface lighting up?

Are the Pro Tools meters in pre or post fader mode? (this may well be the cause of your confusion, a common beginner mistake).

You should be metering in Pro Tools in pre-fader mode aiming for something like -20dBFS as a starting point. Adjusting mic preamp gain and mic placement to achieve this--not the input track fader.

Any more questions please tell us what you are doing: what exactly are you recording with what exact mic, placed where and what are the input gain, pad, etc. set to? What exact wiring/connectors from the Mic to what exact input connector.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 AM

As Darryl said, put the Record Track in Pre Fader Metering so you can see the level of the signal coming into Pro Tools. Also, remember that the Record Track Fader will NOT change the level of the signal coming into Pro Tools, that signal level must be controlled at the source. The only thing the fader will change is the level going out of Pro Tools.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 AM

impedance mismatch.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Its also possible that the clipping is in the mic itself. If the mic has a pad switch, turn that on

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave