Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-1999, 11:43 AM

Default USD & Aardsync II

I've read a number of posts regarding how wonderful the Aardsync is, how it's clock is features the lowest jitter currently on the market, and that there is a noticable difference in audio quality when slaving your PT rig to it.

Okay - I'm sold.

But there has been one dissenting voice out there that claims that the USD has even lower jitter (Aardsync 40 pico secs, USD 4 pico secs!). Supposedly the USDs specs aren't published (at least not properly) and so he had it measured at Sterling Sound. If this is true than this is incredible, and I can't believe that Digi isn't hyping the s**t out of this.

I have a USD, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has a USD and notices a difference in audio quality when feeding the superclock of the Aardsync to the USD. Is there an improvement, or would I be wasting $2K? I should also mention that I mostly slave to analog decks - I think that makes a difference, no?

Please comment I'm close to a purchase.

Mark
Old 10-02-1999, 03:30 PM

Default Re: USD & Aardsync II

I have a USD & am interested in an Ardsync.

Ardsync I belive distrabutes clock to a whole bunch of devices, samplers, converters, digital mixing desks etc.

The coolest audio from tape (is that called "deck" in your country?) Is to have the tape CHASE PT not the other way round. PT sits there rock solid and the tape adjusts it's self to run at "perfect" timecode speed (I believe this is called "resolving".)

You might look into a Lynx syncroniser to make the decks chase PT. That could perhaps be a better sonic improvement for you & a better bang for the buck.

Ask the experts:
Steve McMillan?
Disco Dock?
Rail?

"lock around the clock" as the Japanese say!

Jules

[This message has been edited by Julian Standen (edited 10-02-99).]
Old 10-04-1999, 10:32 AM

When I'm in the studio, there is usually a lynx controlling the tape machine.

What I'm wondering is whether or not adding an Aardsync to an existing USD setup will make a noticable difference or not.

Also, I assume that if I had the Aarsync, then I would be sending it video or word clock or something to the lynx? I'm unfamiliar with what kind of input the lynx can handle other than video black. Can I send it wordclock? Or would I need to get the video upgrade for the Aardsync?

What do lynx go for, BTW?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-1999, 12:11 AM

But there has been one dissenting voice out there that claims that the USD has even lower jitter (Aardsync 40 pico secs, USD 4 pico secs!). Supposedly the USDs specs aren't published (at least not properly) and so he had it measured at Sterling Sound. If this is true than this is incredible, and I can't believe that Digi isn't hyping the s**t out of this.

Ok, it was me. And I'm embarrased to admit that the 4ps measurement was wrong, or at worst, a misunderstanding on my part. I went back to Sterling and the tech there said it was more like 40 or so, and he was using different units which I didn't understand. Anyway, I'm sorry if anyone was misled by my misunderstanding. The reason I didn't retract the statement was that I was waiting for Digidesign to report the spec in another thread, which they never did.

It would be great if someone from the USD team would take a second to tell us, once and for all what the jitter spec is. Its marketed as a low-jitter clock, so how low is it?

Whatever it is, folks who have both boxes rave about the Aardsync, so it must be an improvement, albeit an expensive one. If you set your clock ref to LTC while slaving to analog as some do, you might as well forget the Aardsync, because its out of the loop at that point. But if you resolve your analog machines at all times, then the Aardsync can remain the clock master and you'll get the benefit of its sonic improvements.
Old 10-05-1999, 09:59 AM

Thanks Lucian! That certainly makes a lot more sense....

I guess the thing to do is rent one next time I'm in the studio.