Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Pro Tools Reinstatement Promo! Welcomed!

I just took advantage of this promo and my patience paid off for me. My Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual renewal plan ended in April of 2016. I waited about 3yrs and 8 months so this saved me a lot of money and constant disappointments waiting for new features and bug fixes. In the between time I just used my Vanilla license I already had. The timing was perfect. I found this interesting in the FAQ about Ultimate reinstatement after 2019.

“ Q: I am not on an active plan. If I don’t purchase a reinstatement in 2019 will I have to pay the full price for my software next time I want to upgrade?

A: No. While reinstatements are being discontinued as of December 31, 2019, you will still have the opportunity to get current without re-paying full price for your Avid software by cross-grading to a subscription. By cross-grading, you will get a discount on your subscription for two years.

I got back in just in time! I do not want to go subscription!

Last edited by zion; 12-02-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Reinstatement Promo! Welcomed!

I welcome the discount, it takes the price from ridiculous into the realm of acceptable. However, discontinuing reinstatements is disgraceful. I'd buy a couple Ultimate reinstatements now and use them over the next five years but I don't trust Avid not to change course and disallow their use after a certain time period, or just go out of business altogether and have PT fall into the hands of someone else who would probably have a different pricing structure anyway.

I'm getting one reinstatement now and seeing how it goes over 2020. If the updates over the year actually deliver, I'd stick around for 2021 etc. If not, I'll be looking at other options.

Giving up the perpetual license for a two year discount on subscription is such a joke my brain bugs out every time I read it...
Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I'm getting one reinstatement now and seeing how it goes over 2020. If the updates over the year actually deliver, I'd stick around for 2021 etc. If not, I'll be looking at other options.

Giving up the perpetual license for a two year discount on subscription is such a joke my brain bugs out every time I read it...
My feelings exactly! We will see!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:22 PM

Awesome deal if you sat on an older version for years. I'm surprised they carry it all the way back to PT9. Nearly a decade.

Garbage "deal" if you already paid hundreds over the years to stay current right up until 30 days ago.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM

As asked several times on another thread, if you buy the reinstatement license, how long do you have to activate it?
Old 12-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
As asked several times on another thread, if you buy the reinstatement license, how long do you have to activate it?
We have no clue and you need to ask Avid so either contact free via your avid account if you are on a valid plan or phone the tech support.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Post Re: Pro Tools Reinstatement Promo! Welcomed!

Quote:
We have updated our FAQ to answer this, so please refer to avid.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/reinstatement-faq

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info Last point on the list if anyone can’t find it!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
You should know if you don’t already that prolonging activation does not extend the expired date. When you activate it, it will show the activation date from the time you purchased your license. At least that’s been my experience.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
You should know if you don’t already that prolonging activation does not extend the expired date. When you activate it, it will show the activation date from the time you purchased your license.
The FAQ says reinstatements don't expire.