Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 AM

Default Love em or Hate Waves finally puts DLS bundles on sale

I think Waves should just send out these boxes to us old Mercury+SCC TDM customers who paid 10k and didn't get AAX-DSP
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Love em or Hate Waves finally puts DLS bundles on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
That DLS sale is sick! Absolutely silly! Seriously .... they are buying the market right now with sick deals. The DLS and Mercury SG for $5149?? Are you kidding me??? You're getting a deep discount on the software, and getting the hardware, and a $500 voucher free.....

Waves is really catering to the market lately... like, the last few years with these crazy sales and whatnot...

I am seriously seriously considering the DLS for my HDN rig.... Really a no brainer for me... just need to pony up the cash (Which is well worth it)
If you are on native, I think it's a great option. The fact that it's networkable is a fact that slipped by me before. You can use one server and only one Mercury license in a few rooms. Curious, if you have a pro tools TDM session loaded with waves plugins will they all show up on the DLS server if you open the session in HD Native/HDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think Waves should just send out these boxes to us old Mercury+SCC TDM customers who paid 10k and didn't get AAX-DSP
I guess they figure we have all made our investment back by now and did the business expense write off when purchased. They need to make it more appealing to Mercury TDM owners. 50% off works.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM

I don't care what they think of a possible writeoff. I have made an investment, and by that day they promised to support every major DAW platform there is. Now I don't know about you but in my book Avid's AAX-DSP is just as major a platform Digidesign's TDM ever was. So they broke their promise and lost one of their best customers.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Now I don't know about you but in my book Avid's AAX-DSP is just as major a platform Digidesign's TDM ever was. So they broke their promise and lost one of their best customers.
Waves has indeed made a shocking choice for those of us who grew up w/ PT, waves, soundtoys, mcdsp always linked. But, AAX-DSP is as niche a dsp product as there has ever been. A large majority of the PT HD user base has passed on it just like most of the plugin developers. It can be major, but Avid has to do something to change this narrative.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 AM

TDM was a niche? AAX-DSP is its follower
Old 12-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
TDM was a niche? AAX-DSP is its follower
AAX-DSP is not a follower of TDM. It is a totally different system. You cannot use your current TDM plugins on this new system. TDM users have been reluctant to give up old session compatibility, the comfort of their tools, and those clients who like to record thru autotune, etc. And you have to spend money to downgrade while avid makes you buy an avid i/o as well.

It can't be major until the PT base makes it major. And to this point it's not happening.

If this waves dls gets third parties on board to code for this linux/intel server (should be simple), it will be major pretty quickly.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Waves TDM wasn't major until Digidesign TDM was major. And the successor of Digidesign TDM is Avid AAX-DSP. Like it or not.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 AM

In fact, Waves anything wasn't major until TDM users made it so.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Waves TDM wasn't major until Digidesign TDM was major. And the successor of Digidesign TDM is Avid AAX-DSP. Like it or not.
huh? what i said was waves dls soundgrid/digigrid can be major if third party support picks up. who cares if waves became major decades ago when tdm came.

Successor doesn't mean successful. What I also said was aax-dsp is a totally new dsp system that you can't use any of your tdm plugins with. do you deny that?
Old 12-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Who cares? Those of us who made Waves successful and believed that they will as they said support all major platforms.