Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-26-2003, 02:21 AM

Default PT 6 a bit sluggish?

HI all,

Having done a fresh reinstall of OSX10.2.3 / PT6 on a new 1Ghz G4, it all seems to be running less speedy than before, especially screen updates, fades, meter responses etc.
Am I missing something? I've done all the neccessaries in the guide, and taken all the precautions on the website.
I've also set the colour depth to "Thousands" and killed the desktop background.
Going back to the old 5.3 on 9.22 is like taking off a big heavy coat.
Please tell me I'm doing something wrong!
Thanks,
D98.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Re: PT 6 a bit sluggish?

I have Protools 6.0 and 5.2 installed in my G4800, Mix+, plus one old DSP Farm. 1GB Ram. It's working great. The only thing I've noticed is that my computer (single processor) is much slower in with the new version... The computer works fine with others softwares like Adobe Photoshop, iPhoto and iMovie on OSX. It's just Protools 6 that is much slower... Maybe it's time to change for a dual... I used my old 9600 for 5 years... but I think my G4 800 won't last more than one with me. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Is there any thing you can do in OSX to make it faster? Any settings? I know everything I can do in OS 9, but nothing on X.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 02-26-2003, 10:49 AM

Is your Mac a single or dual 1gig processor?
Old 02-27-2003, 12:52 AM

I'm running PT6 on a G4 933Mhz with 1 GB of RAM and I've noticed it seems a little sluggish too. I might upgrade my video card (PT6 seems graphic intensive) and see if that helps. It only seems to get really annoying if I get close to maxing out the DSP on my HD1. I did up the hardware setting to Level 8 to dedicate more RAM to it and lowered the buffer to 256.

The other disappointing thing in terms of speed is the "on the fly" plug-in instantiation. I'm a recent convert from LE to TDM and it's just not the same. The pause in TDM seems about 2 sec to instantiate a plug-in on the fly. RTAS plug-ins in LE weren't instantaneous, but much faster.

On the flip side, Digibase and Import Session Data make life a lot easier. Anyway, it's all good. have fun--

Lance
Old 02-27-2003, 05:21 AM

OS X Speed tip: Got to Finder>Preferences and select "Languages for searching file contents" Un-select all the check boxes. This is where the OS keeps track of files for "command-F" searches. With this off searching the HD takes 1-2 sec longer, not much off a hit. Also turn off the "Genie Effect" in the dock.

More:

"1. Use thousands of colors (instead of Millions). Use the Displays preference pane or the Displays system menu.

"2. Reduce the resolution of your display (not as useful for flat-panels but if you have a CRT monitor, give it a shot). Use the Displays preference pane or the Displays system menu.

"3. Use the Scale or Suck minimization instead of the CPU-cycle-sucking Genie. Use the Dock preference pane or TinkerTool (http://www.bresink.de/osx/).

"4. Kill those beautiful-but-CPU-thrashing drop shadows with ShadowKiller (http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shadowkiller/).

"5. Set the Mouse preference to its fastest setting in the Mouse preference pane.

"6. Use font smoothing sparingly. Set it to 12 points and under. Use the General preference pane for this, or use TinkerTool (http://www.bresink.de/osx/) to turn smoothing off completely.

"7. If you use Classic, turn off all unneeded extensions and control panels using Extensions Manager."

-F
Old 02-27-2003, 07:16 AM

How about this..Don't use PT6 and OSX !!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 07:17 AM

try repairing permissions, applications/utilities/disk utilitiy hit the first aid tab, select boot drive on the left, click repair permissions.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 02-27-2003, 08:32 AM

OK,

Our system is the dual 1Ghz (brand new with new OS install)
I've noticed also that scrubbing is seriously sluggish compared to OS9. It makes it difficult to work accurately. Left waiting for other operations too.
I've upped the cpu to 99% with no effect.
I've gone back to OS9 now - much quicker for doing the kind of work we do.
Hmmm, thanks for the tips on speeding up - will try and report back.
D98
Old 02-27-2003, 01:48 PM

To have you tried to verify or repair disk permissions. Don't know of this will help but it might. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:01 PM

I wouldn't use any of those haxies on X, like Shadowkiller, Fruit Menu or Window Shade. They've been known to cause serious problems with 10.2.3 and up.

TinkerTool is fairly safe since it only unlocks options that are in X that are not yet used. Most of the features that these haxies provide will eventually make it in X anyway.

Along with the repair permissions and disk repair suggestions, you might also want to run Mac Janitor every now and then. it cleans up the Unix chron files that build up over time. Your Mac will normally run this clean up at 3am every morning, but if you don't leave your computer on at night the files build up and start to slow things down.

Find Mac Janitor at versiontracker.com. It's free.