Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-28-2002, 01:19 AM

Default Help! 882/20 audio hide and seek

The lights are on but nobody's home. I get signal across the eight tracks according to the track lights on the 882/20 but, there is no actual audio emerging. I loaned the unit to a friend - same problem.

I brought the unit to a Pro-Tools dealer - we get audio.

What gives? Is my farm card from a farm? Are there different revisions of Farm cards I should investigate?

I'm stumped. If no digital audio was transmitting from the computer to the 882/20, there shouldn't be any lights flashing in time BUT THEY DO!

I have yet to get the box working. I have an ADAT I/0 that works great. I'm running a D24 card with farm on a 733 G4 Mac System 5.1

Any suggestions? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2002, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Help! 882/20 audio hide and seek

Check that your sync mode is set to internal.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Avid

-Connect your 882/20 to the d24 card
-Trash the DigiSetup file and restart
-Launch Pro Tools, and configure the hardware.
-Open a session...any audio?

Brent
Old 03-28-2002, 01:00 PM

Once I had a similar problem in a studio where I work as a freelance. It was a bad connection of the 882 card. I just took out and in again the multipin from the rear pannel and the computer and it worked. It's obvious, but we sometimes miss the obvious stuff.
Good luck,
Alex
Old 03-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Angus M:
On the Mix Window, the option to choose the 882/20 as input or output is now in italics and refuses to be selected. Still no audio.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Open the Setups>I/O Setups window and click "Default" for you Inputs, Outputs and Inserts tabs.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Also, the Farm Card only gives me the option of selecting either 1-8, or 9-16 of the ADAT Bridge - there is no A or B option. Does it only support 8 tracks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Yes. DSP Farm cards only support 8 channels of I/O...Y-cables are not compatible.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Can I split my Y cable from the D24 card with the "A" connection on the 882/20 and the "B" connection for inputs 1-8 on the ADAT Bridge (and the farm card supporting 9-16)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Although this configuration should work, I would not recommend it. I would connect both sides of the ADAT Bridge to the d24....My suggestion for connecting your 882/20 to the d24 card was to verify whether or not the 882/20 was experiencing a hardware malfunction.

If audio still refuses to output from the 882/20, repair is needed. Please contact tech support for an RA:
650-731-6100

Brent
Old 03-28-2002, 11:21 PM

Problem solved. I thought it might be the fact that after I'd upgraded to a 733 mhz Apple I needed new 5.1 software and my D24 card upgraded etc.,etc. (all of which had to be done just for the DAE to work). But finally, in the end it was my audio snake for the eight ins and outs that were connected in reverse. I've been reorganized the studio recently and with all the cabling, I missed that patch.

Whew! Fixed anyway.

Alex said it right - sometimes it's the obvious things that get overlooked.

Thanks for all the advice, it narrowed down the options of what it could be, and in the end it wasn't Pro-tools. It was software Brain 1.01 (beta version). [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2002, 12:25 AM

I trashed the digisetup. Switched the 882/20 to the D24 card and the ADAT Bridge to the Farm Card. Restarted.
On the Mix Window, the option to choose the 882/20 as input or output is now in italics and refuses to be selected. Still no audio. Also, the Farm Card only gives me the option of selecting either 1-8, or 9-16 of the ADAT Bridge - there is no A or B option. Does it only support 8 tracks?
The D24 card, however gives me an option of A or B. Can I split my Y cable from the D24 card with the "A" connection on the 882/20 and the "B" connection for inputs 1-8 on the ADAT Bridge (and the farm card supporting 9-16)?

Also, I've tried switching the word clock master from 882/20 to the ADAT and rebooting. Still no signal.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]