Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 AM

Default Final sound

Hello!

I have recorded a Drums, bass, guitars, keyboard and voices and the result of final sound I do not like since it seems that there is a blanket on the loudspeaker, the sound he is poor, dark, he is not nothing shining nor surrounding.

Somebody knows as I can solve it?

Thank you very much!

Dani
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Final sound

LOL! Fix it in the mix!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

There is no easy answer to your question. Your problem could trace back to poor tracking techniques, cruddy microphones and preamps, untrained EQ and/or compression during mixing/mastering or maybe just bad monitors or monitoring environment. The good news is that you can hear that it's bad, the bad news is that only YOU can figure out where the problem(s) are since it's your session and rig.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 AM

Slim is basically right. However, as a quick fix, try applying a high shelf EQ to the master fader. There's a high shelf model in the Digirack 1-band EQ that hardly takes any CPU power at all.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 PM

Assuming you have done everything well, your mix might still sound a bit dull because, many commercial mixes are finished with a processor called an "exciter" inserted across the master fader which gives mixes an extra brightness and sparkle, which isn't really there in the original takes.
You can set up a basic exciter yourself as follows, and if it's not the answer, well it's another technique for your arsenal.
1st, set up a stereo auxiliary track, with previously unused auxiliary feeds for the inputs, and the outputs routed to your master fader. Next insert a hi pass filter EQ across it, set around 7kHz and upwards works best, (adjust to your own taste when you get it working). Inverse the phase on both channels of the EQ, and move the pan for each channel in completely the other direction, so your right channel is now your left, and vice versa.
Now on each track set up a pre-fade to feed to this auxiliary channel. Start off with them all set about 0dB. You might want to miss out instruments like bass guitar and kick drum, as they don't really have much hi frequency content anyway. Now playback your mix and slowly move the new aux fader up. You'll find it gets brighter, but also gives a bit of stereo width too. Use it very sparingly, as too much just kills your mix and messes with your stereo image. Used properly, it sounds different to just adding a bit of hi-end EQ, and appears to give dull mixes a bit of life.