Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-14-2003, 08:00 AM

Default Re: How many PC-TDM users are there?

Glad to weigh in here...

I've been running a PC DAW since '94; Session 8 on a 486, D24 then Mix on NT, now PT HD2 on P3-700 XP.

I've used Logic for composition & notation (host-based MIDI software STILL can't cut it for reliable digital audio recording & mixing on ANY platform) since it was C-Lab on a Commodore 64; Notator on Atari; Finally they get Logic up to speed on XP after years of Win98 and sellout to Apple, leaving PC users twisting in the wind. Go figure.

Hard to believe that TDM on PC is STILL THE BEST KEPT SECRET in Digital Audio! You have to wonder after all the work Digi has put into it why the PC platform is rarely more than a footnote in their promo... No wonder the 3rd party development has been so slow.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:50 AM

Hi,

here's another PC TDM user (win2k).
Hopefully we also will upgrade our old Mac PT III to a PC with Mixplus soon.
I also have a 002 at home [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 03-16-2003, 06:44 PM

Below is a recent reply (March 14, 2003) I received from DUY...

Quote:
Dear Mark,

Thanks for your email.
At the moment we don't have immediate plans to port our plug-ins to Windows.
Thanks, however, for your kind interest.

Best regards,

DUY Customer Service
[email protected]

Organization: Hearts of Fire Productions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:35:52 -0500
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: DUY for Windows...

Do you have any plans to port the DUY plugs (RTAS and TDM) to the Windows platform?

Thanks!
Mark

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 03-17-2003, 07:58 AM

another PC user here. running mixplus tdm 5.3.1 on XP P4 2.53 with 533 rambus 1066 memory. just built this machine and it's great. have a koolance liquid cooled case that's almost silent, with 3 liquid cooled hard drives and liquid cooled processor. have a gigabyte MB with onboard raid, 2 200 gig 7500rpm udma100 drives striping just for protools. this shows up as one 400 gig drive in the computer. i did this against the grain of digi but i can run 64 audio tracks with no problem at all. i would rather go this route than firewire or SCSI.
as for plugins i really don't use that many, although the renny eq is sweet, and of course the focusrites. the only way to truly warm it up is with some analog. i figure the least amount of tricks the better. stick with just a couple of plugins.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:59 PM

Hi, I'm also a PC user on Windows 2000 PT tdm v5.1. I started on Nt w/ Protools 4, when they first went PC. I have to say yeah that it's true that there should more cross-platforms items that work w/ TDM . I griped to Logic and plug-in companies to make there stuff as compatable w/ PC as they do Mac. So, I'm a little curious when Tenk productions and Nikki-K say they switched from Mac to PC. How come? Lately, I've been toying w/ the idea to go to Mac.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:51 AM

Left coast PC protools user.
We have 5 studios running ProTools 5.0.1 on Windows NT.
Works pretty well. As to be expected, no upgrade in almost 3 years makes it tough to complain about issues most users forgot about in the 90's...
We hope to step up to a somewhat current platform (XP, but not HD) sometime soon.
KL
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM
Old 04-09-2003, 05:05 PM

Hi! Aftermidnight- I switched because I have worked with PC's far more than Mac's. I do not know Mac OS very well (even more so for OS-X), and am very comfortable with Win OS, currently XP. So, being more comfy on Win XP, even simple things like file management are second nature on Win OS, vs Mac OS where I had to *think* about it. To me, the only downfalls of NOT staying Mac were the lack of plugs and the lack of support for Direct-Connect.
Solving the Direct-Connect issue wasn't too difficult. I assembled a second computer for running Cubase, as well as any softsynths I desired, and send them thru a MOTU 2408 mkII litepipe into my 192 litepipe. This actually is nicer to me, since the PT computer is dedicated to only that =).
As far as the lack of certain plugs being ported; hmmm. Well, I thought about what plugins I REALLY had to have. And then- which ones can I actually afford =) I switched my Waves Gold TDM to Win (no cost), and called Digi, who sent a new Win CD (I have an HD3 system), which had all the installs for the plugs included as part of the HD3 promo when I bought it. I didnt own any plugs that were not cross-platform, so it came down to potential *buys* for the future. The McDSP stuff was on my personal wish list. Sony should have the Oxford stuff out sometime soon, so I will buy that instead of the McDSP stuff.
With RTAS stuff becoming more common, I also like to have a computer that can handle a good amount of these in addtion to the *native* tdm plugs. For me, the ease of use on a Windows platform, in addition to being able to configure and upgade both hardware and software with relative ease far outweighed any benefit of staying on a Mac platform, which was so foreign to me.
Sorry if that was too long or babbling- lol...
nikki =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:44 AM

Hi Nikki,
Thanks for the info. I'm little curious about what you said about the Sony Oxford stuff and the McDSP. I'm not to familiar w/ that. What is it? and how is it beneficial for us. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:56 AM

Hi! McDSP has some awesome plug-ins, however they are Mac only [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Would be sweet if they would finally come around and port 'em over.
As far as the Sony Oxfod stuff... The Inflator plug is available now for Win XP PT systems. The Oxford is one of the *best* EQ's out there, and the Dynamics plug is sweet too; both should be available soon I would imagine (based on Inflator being out now).
Nikki =)
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:02 AM

Hi! I just went back and re-read your initial post...
You are using Win 2000, so I am not sure about the availabilty of any of the plug-ins- sorry. It was not until PT was going on Win XP for a short time that I switched from Mac to PC. Win 2k had some compatability issues I was unable to work around, hence my waiting for XP.
Nikki =)
Quote: