Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Default CCTV system suggestion needed

Hi !

I going to eliminate my studio glass to have more acoustic treatment . I want some suggestion for a monitoring system so i can see the the recording room trough a monitor or lcd tv . I know that with a regular cctv I will need a DVR . But what about computer surveillance cameras that operates trough the computer ? My question is because I don't know if their software affect PT performance . What options I have ?

Thanks !!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Re: CCTV system suggestion needed

In my old studio, the vocal booth and drum booth had no sight lines, so I used security cameras in both rooms(BNC video output) and at the other end(the screens), I used video-VGA adapters(around $40) and some old 4:3 computer screens(19"). Mounting the screens on some adjustable wall mounts kept things tidy(the VGA adapters were velcro'd to the backs of the screens).

In my current studio, I bought a modest surveillance package with 4 cameras. I use a computer monitor(again, an old 19" display) but it also has an HDMI output(50' HDMI cables are available on the web for less than $50). You could easily adapt this to your needs too, but honestly, the "home run" of 1 camera to 1 screen(via the adapter) works great. I hung the screens above face level, with the cameras right underneath.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
In my old studio, the vocal booth and drum booth had no sight lines, so I used security cameras in both rooms(BNC video output) and at the other end(the screens), I used video-VGA adapters(around $40) and some old 4:3 computer screens(19"). Mounting the screens on some adjustable wall mounts kept things tidy(the VGA adapters were velcro'd to the backs of the screens).

In my current studio, I bought a modest surveillance package with 4 cameras. I use a computer monitor(again, an old 19" display) but it also has an HDMI output(50' HDMI cables are available on the web for less than $50). You could easily adapt this to your needs too, but honestly, the "home run" of 1 camera to 1 screen(via the adapter) works great. I hung the screens above face level, with the cameras right underneath.
Hi Albee thank you !

Do you use a DVR for them ? Or your DAW ?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM

I use 2 IP cameras that can be hooked up using ethernet cable or wireless using the WIFI signal of my modem/router. I happen to have Foscam Model: FI8918W from about 4 years ago, but I wouldn't recommend them because the setup (software side) isn't easy. I think there are more modern plug and play IP cameras out there now. I do not use my DAW to view the cameras, I have my everyday Windows 8 computer in the control room also. They can also be viewed on a smartphone or tablet over WIFI.

The wireless connection is ideal in my situation because you can move them around, depending on what you are tracking (drum booth, vocal booth, main studio). You can get 2-way audio through the built in speaker and mic in the cameras, but we don't use that since we have a good headphone monitoring and talkback setup (Furman ethernet based system)

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi Albee thank you !

Do you use a DVR for them ? Or your DAW ?
I use a DVR for security, but the cameras and screens were simply so players could see each other. Now a package with a DVR might do the trick for you, but 2 things matter; 1-you don't need to record anything(although you might want to), and 2-remember that you want to be able to run a screen in each separate room, so make sure whatever system you buy can handle that(maybe take an HDMI output, feed that to a 4-way splitter, feed out to 2/3/4 decent-sized TV's and show all 4 cameras on all screens

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 AM

remember this .. if it is Digital you may have latency in the video feeds .. processing time .. so, analog camera will give you a more immediate picture .. especially if people are looking at each other via different cameras ...

i worked in a studio that used the consumer security cameras through a 4 way (quad split) and there was too much processing time to play together .. we used for just watching the drummer in the drum booth ..

cheers and hopes this helps a little .. i did not see anyone mention this yet ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro