Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Digidesign site not loading in Firefox 1.5!!!

I just get a ColdFusion " Error Occurred While Processing Request" when I type www.digidesign.com.

What's going on?!?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Digidesign site not loading in Firefox 1.5!!!

DiAngelo: have you previously been able to access the Digi home page with this type of browser? The reason I ask is due to the fact that I have never been able to access it with Firefox due to the fact that a lot of the media stuff is not yet supported in Firefox to the best of my knowledge that is on the Digi site. I looked on their site using IE for browser requirements and found:

Browser Requirements
This site uses tables, frames, JavaScript, Flash, QuickTime movies, Windows Media, Secure Socket Layer protocol (SSL) and cookies. Using older browsers, non-compatible browsers or disabling browser features, such as JavaScript, cookies and SSL, may reduce site functionality. You may choose to upgrade your browser or media players by visiting the appropriate links below.

The following browsers support these elements:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
Windows version 6.0 or higher.
Macintosh (OS 9) version 5.1.6
Macintosh (OS X) version 5.2.2 or higher.

Apple Safari
Macintosh version 1.0 or higher.

Netscape Navigator
Version 7.0 or higher.

Media Requirements
Windows Media Player
Quick Time
Flash
Real Player

International Sites
Digidesign.com is localized (translated) for Latin America (es), France (fr), Italy (it), Germany (de), Japan (ja), China (zh), Korea (ko), Australia (en-au), and United Kingdom (en-uk).

To view the Digidesign website in another language, you may need to download the language sets for your particular operating system/browser. Digidesign strives to translate all pages; however, if a page has not yet been translated, the browser will default to the English language.

Monitor Settings
Our site is best viewed when minimum screen resolution is set to 800x600. If your settings are below 800x600, you will encounter additional scroll bars.

Looks like Digi does not support Firefox as a browser for us unfortunately... You should be able to access with standard IE though in the mean time til the features are supported. I will search around and see if I can't find some media stuff about Firefox also a bit further. Goodluck
Old 12-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
DiAngelo: have you previously been able to access the Digi home page with this type of browser? The reason I ask is due to the fact that I have never been able to access it with Firefox due to the fact that a lot of the media stuff is not yet supported in Firefox to the best of my knowledge that is on the Digi site...
Looks like Digi does not support Firefox as a browser for us unfortunately... You should be able to access with standard IE though in the mean time til the features are supported. I will search around and see if I can't find some media stuff about Firefox also a bit further. Goodluck
I'm using Firefox (on XP) to write this now. I've never had a problem with any parts of the Digi site, including product info, the webzine, Digistore purchases, or the DUC. Firefox works great for me.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I'm using Firefox (on XP) to write this now. I've never had a problem with any parts of the Digi site, including product info, the webzine, Digistore purchases, or the DUC. Firefox works great for me.
Are you using the newly released Firefox 1.5, which the original poster is using? My guess is that there is a security setting in Firefox which defaults to not allowing access to certain web page features. Once you figure out which one it is, you should be good to go.

OTH, it would be a sham [sic] to see Digidesign.com go the way of ilok.com and not support the best web browser available.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-23-2005, 05:49 AM

Firefox 1.0.06 here....never any probs. Agree with the statement above from JC.
Try snooping around in the settings or preferences there....that would be my guess as well.
-Danji
Old 12-23-2005, 06:11 AM

Really? "Snooping around in the settings"?

As a web-designer, I think once again we're trying to find solutions that Digidesign should give us in the 1st place.

Being a web-designer myself ( http://www.brianserge.com ) I think digidesign should make it work in Firefox 1.5.

Or get a webmaster that can do it.
I can offer myself as a volunteer...!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:28 AM

DiAngelo:
Couldn't agree more. "Snooping around in the settings" wasn't meant as a hint to try out some elaborate and complicated hack or work around, but rather as a suggestion to take a peek at the preferences to see if anything should be personalized/adjusted for the kind of work you do with your browser. For me this is a common practice whenever I download a new browser/update....to see if the cookies settings I like are in place, security features, etc. If the problem with FireFox 1.5 is a little preferences thing like that, I was just suggesting it as an option.

Maybe that's not it

It does seem strange that it would pop up in the new version of FireFox, whereas many of us are using somewhat older versions flawlessly. So I thought it might just be a little fluke like that.

And nice work there on the site, man! As a self proclaimed amateur web-idiot I respect that work a lot

-Danji
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:

And nice work there on the site, man!

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 AM

Bruno/Brian: no offense meant with this post man, but as a web developer I imagine that you understand and appreciate how sites are coded from the technical and design aspect correct?

If the Digidesign website loads from the last version of Firefox and not the most current, it is definately a browser setting that was upgraded in the latest release which is holding you back from viewing the Digidesign website as Justice had stated above.

I mean this with the utter most respect as I am a programmer and work IT by day myself from one programmer to the other, that it is not Digi's responsibility to code their site for every browser on the market. I could name 14 different web browsers outside of IE, Firefox, and Safari which are "not" on their supported list.

I would suggest with the newest version of Firefox as a web developer to check your settings for media content as we normally would as developers and you should have no trouble using the site. I would also suggest e-mailing Digidesign regarding the site to see if they may suggest any form of settings that would hold Firefox from viewing their website. Most companies that are cool enough to list supported browsers on their site are probably going to tell you to use a supported browser honestly.

Once again, I mean this with the utter most respect, but not everyone can code perfectly for every web based scenerio and we are willing to help you as fellow peers on the DUC to see if we can't help you access the site from your browser, but I found your post that "Digidesign needs to code their site to meet the requirements of Firefox" a little ignorant honestly if you are truely a programmer/developer and can produce as excellent of work as you have showcased on your website.

I will download the latest version of Firefox this evening on my computer and attempt to find the setting for you to assist in this issue, but in the mean time if you need to access Digidesigns website for any purpose, I would suggest an alternate browser. peace and respect

Charlie
Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 AM

As a webdeveloper you should understand that Firefox is an important browser nowadays (it's actually the 2nd most used browser in the world today, and according to the statistics, already THE most used browser in the US) and every company should worry about their site being fully compatible with it.

I just thought digidesign, as a bleeding edge sound technology company, should be worried with this...