Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Can I use plugins to record effects or just mix?

I'd like to use a compressor/limiter to track some acoustic instruments so I can get a high level and eliminate the worries of clipping the digital input, but I noticed the comp/limit plug-in effect doesn't seem to affect the input monitor. So I assume you can't use the plug-ins for tracking. Someone please educate me about this since I'm new to this product. How are people tracking with Pro Tools while simultaneously dealing with very dynamic instruments/players? I'm basically recording 6-8 tracks of acoustic instruments live.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Can I use plugins to record effects or just mix?

Umm I'm new to this also but I heard u can open an aux track set the input to chan x on ur interface, then open a new track and bus the output of the aux to the input of the record track and u would add the effect/compressor in the aux track so it's running thru there first then it's getting recorded.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm not really understanding your instructions. Have you tried it?

I was just reading that using 24/41.1 instead of 16/41.1 can eliminate the need for compression for tracking acoustic instruments. So maybe that's my solution. Any opinions?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Open an aux track, set the input of that track to the input ok the interface ur using, then open a regular instrument track. On the aux output bus it to let's say 9 10 and on the new track u mad set the input to the output bus on the aux. And in the aux track add ur effect. I haven't personally done it, and if u still don't understand my instructions, check YouTube that's where I saw it.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:28 PM

I apologize for my text cause I'm on my phone sorry, I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:29 PM

A plug-in insert on an audio channel or an aux channel being used as input from an external source will not effect the signal coming into the channel, only downstream. If you require compression going into pro tools you will need to apply it externally, prior to hitting A/D conversion, for example I run a pre-amp, into a compressor then into the audio interface, which brings it into Pro Tools.

If you do not have access to an eternal compressor/limiter then you will need to a) turn your down your input gain until you're not clipping during tracking or work with the performers instructing them to play within a certain range. After which you may insert a compressor or transient processor to help bring up the gain a bit.

Hope this helps
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM

It seems the two responses are in disagreement. Kemo thinks you can do it and Brad says no. Kemo, can you post the link to the youtube video that describes how to use the plug-in compression in the input signal. It's a little disappointing if I can only use the effects after recording is done. If I need to use compression on 8 live tracks then I'll need that many external compressors which would be prohibitively expensive for me. I guess recording at lower levels and 24 bit is probably going to be my best bet.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Ok first the other guy might b right and maybe I heard wrong on the video, since he has more experience then I do but here is a link u can try. I cant find the original one I saw because I'm not at home and only have access To my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkg2z...e_gdata_player
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 AM

open up a track say for bass guitar, insert your compression plug in on this track. when you record the compression will not be recorded onto this track so what you have to do is open up another audio track and set the output from your bass track to a bus say for instance bus 3 on the input of the second track set the input to be bus 3 and the output 1 and 2. record arm the second track and call it bass compression. thats it, the signal records onto the second track with the compression on it. so do this method for all the tracks you need. hope that helps
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 AM

Smile Re: Can I use plugins to record effects or just mix?

forgot to mention make the track you called bass an auxillary input. you could make it an audio track if you wanted so you would have the dry signal on track called bass and wet signal on track called bass compression. for easyness make it a an aux track. its easier than it sounds. your just routing the signal from one track to the other.