How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Avid

Default Re: Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

Quote:
If any one comes up with a fix please let us know.
Have you tried trashing the prefs indicated above and/or using a power supply with the MIDI IO's?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ndy View Post
I'm pretty sure it always happens with the computer on. Sometimes it happens on stuck notes when I have to hit reset in stand alone apps with no "all notes off". Yes I have my Local off! It has also happened when quitting PTLE prematurely because my ilok was not plugged in. I did find my PSU and it is wired up and I will see how it goes. As far as USB devices go I added a PCI express 4 port card connected to a Belkin ipod dock/4 port hub, two 20" Cinema displays where I plug my iloks in, and a APC XS 1500. On the rear USB ports of my Mac Pro I have the Digidesign Midi I/O, Apple keyboard with mighty mouse & Griffin Powermate attached, and a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet. On the front port I have a Axiom 25 controller. On the Belkin dock/hub I have a Epson RX580 printer/scanner, a Dymo labelwriter 400, Elgato EyeTV 250, Kensington LED keyboard light, and a USB extender for using my Powermate to trigger recording from my drum kit. I usually attach my flash drive on the second front port on my Mac. The short answer would have been Yes!
I'd be interested to know if the PSU helps at all.

Have you tried connecting the MIDI IO to a different port? I wonder if having all those devices attached is messing with USB communication somehow...have you tried it with all unnecessary devices disconnected?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM

There is differently a problem with OS X 10.5.7 running alot of USB devices.
I would say take your OS back to 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 this will no doubt fix your other USB devices such as printer.

Lets hope someone fixers the Digi Midi I/O
Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 PM

The PSU does not help. I will try a different port and see if that helps. I will also unplug other USB devices as well. However, I have had this problem since I got this machine with Leopard. So it's not a new thing with OS recent updates. I have had no other USB issues at all. I believe that the problem occurs when I close apps that are using midi. At least it seems that way.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Yes have gone one step furthere than trashing the preference.
I have put a new 500Gb drive in with a new stystem 10.5.5. and tried 10.5.6 as well.
I only loaded the Pro Tools 8 plus the cs8.3 software and my 2 Midi I/O's nothing else on my Mac.
I then went into AMS and sent my Midi I/O devices from scratch.
Restarted my MacPro and there it was, 1 of my Midi I/O's in grey and a new one put in it's place with no of me midi devices on it.
I own 2 Midi I/O's so I have been able to A B them. Nothing wrong with the devices and yes I have updated the firmware to version 2 in both Midi I/O's many times.
I have also striped my Mac down so there is no USB devices or any thing else hanging off it except my HD cards and my 192's with my Sync I/O interfaces.
I must piont out that I never had any trouble with my PowerMac running Pro Tools 7.4.x
We have played enough games now so we need to have this problem escalated to the code writers or tech heads.
Also I have a MOTU 128 express Midi device and it work every time.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Removing my other USB devices did not clear up the problem. I am currently testing different ports as I have many to test. No luck so far. I report back when I have tested all of them thoroughly.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 AM

Ok. The story so fare 12/06/2009 8.34 pm Australia Time.

I have spend the day trying new things.
1) New Drive with a new OS X 10.5.5 and new install of Pro Tools 8 with cs8.0.3.
2) Rebuild my AMS Midi rig with 20 different Midi Devices.
3) Went into Pro Tools and made a new session with only one Midi track open nothing else no Audio tracks no Instrument tracks.
4) Selected each Midi device one by one using both my 2 Midi I/O's all good.
5) Tried open up various session and every time Pro Tools gets to the end of it's open up progress I lose one of the Midi I/O off line.
6) Made a new session and imported different session data from various sessions made in version 7.4 and version 8 with no Midi tracks in these session only Audio track. Then after the imports was complete bang go's the one of the Midi I/O off line.
I am starting to think that Digidesign has not wrote the code for using two or more Midi I/O's in version 8. I know that Digidesign qualifies that you can run 4 of the Midi I/O's together. Maybe they forgot that part in version 8.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I have made a copy of my preference on my Midi devices so I can copy it back into the User/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations
Thanks for the path Aussie Mick. I just used Time machine to get back my midi config! I don't know how but the AMS lost all my port settings! The only new gear I have used recently is one of those new Akia LPK25 controllers. I think the OS glitched out and erased my settings when I plugged it in! So look out everybody! As far as the Midi I/O is concerned, nothing has changed. Power supply makes no difference! Changing usb ports makes no difference! I don't entirely blame Digi for this issue, Apple is definitely on my _hit list tonight! A class compliant midi controller should not hose your midi config upon insertion. I hope Snow Leopard will be more stable.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Still having this problem, on a daily basis. PITA!!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Still having this problem, on a daily basis.
Same here.